• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj D5 - Owners' Thread

Malis

The same. Looks like I will have to wait for ''the thing'' to pass, to get my upgrade going, and thanks for the link.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Good news, cooperate with the HiFi-express, we have a promotion sale on Sabaj D5. Don't miss the time. 1st - 3rd May. Only 30 unit can be sell on US location.
1f60d.png
Only $399.
https://hifi-express.com/collection...aj-d5-audio-dac-ess9038pro-heaphone-amplifier
View attachment 60477

Thanks for posting this. I went to the HiFi-express website and it says these are sold out. Do know if this means the 30 have been sold already, or will this promotion officially start on May 1?

jruser

Has upload a new firmware for D5, recommend users upgrade. The new firmware and driver provides better compatibility and USB anti-interference features.
http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/services.asp?id=79

Anybody else do this upgrade? I just did it.

Before the upgrade my XMOS firmware was v6.F2. After, it is v1.04. No idea what USB anti-interfere really means.

This USB firmware update is separate from the MCU update that requires the tool.

Mr. Olinad

I did both.

It's just like you said.

Btw, while answering this question, I checked the official website and the USB Driver version seems to be newer than the one I had installed.
My old file was 20200417092701873 and the newer one is 20200420103448922, which makes me believe that something has changed between 04-17-2020 and 04-20-2020...

Confusing, as always.

Hey @peterwen , could you please fill the website links with a version number and the upload date?
It'd help a lot.
Tks

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Anybody else do this upgrade? I just did it.

Before the upgrade my XMOS firmware was v6.F2. After, it is v1.04. No idea what USB anti-interfere really means.

This USB firmware update is separate from the MCU update that requires the tool.
Maybe less jitter ?

andrewch

Just received the firmware upgrade tool. From what I see this is Windows update procedure.

Anyone updated Sabaj D5 firmware over macOS or Linux? I don't have Windows devices at home :(

Mr. Olinad

The firmware you update with the Tool is not the USB firmware they share on their website.
You are looking for the firmware shared on the post that follows:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bAmxqtlZ5dAMgD7cF1mwIG1kIlqJS8nd
1.6 firmware can be download here and go with the upgrade tool.

Edit:
Forget it... you must be talking about the Jlink.exe
Try downloading on the Segger website:
https://www.segger.com/downloads/jlink/#J-LinkSoftwareAndDocumentationPack
1588705539779.png

Sabaj Firmware zip file comes with J-Link v6.50b so I think you should stick with it.
I know nothing about macOS or Linux, are you able to at least download the firmware zip and get the other files?
1588705660104.png

Last edited:

andrewch

The firmware you update with the Tool is not the USB firmware they share on their website.
You are looking for the firmware shared on the post that follows:

Edit:
Forget it... you must be talking about the Jlink.exe
Try downloading on the Segger website:
https://www.segger.com/downloads/jlink/#J-LinkSoftwareAndDocumentationPack
View attachment 62019

Sabaj Firmware zip file comes with J-Link v6.50b so I think you should stick with it.
I know nothing about macOS or Linux, are you able to at least download the firmware zip and get the other files?
View attachment 62020
Yes, I have the files. I don't want to risk it if nobody has done firmware upgrade successfully on macOS.

andrewch

After installing 6.50b on macOS I get this:

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 21.31.20.png

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 21.31.41.png

Maybe using J-Flash Lite I can do it, but not sure of the setup here. There is no Sabaj in the Device list.

Mr. Olinad

I don't know if it'll make any difference, but when flashing the firmware I usualy disconnect the USB from my PC and turn off the energy button.
Following the PDF steps, after connecting the Tool to the USB the D5 will "turn on" it's display even disconnected from the energy.
If you're also doing this way and it's not working, I think it's better to wait for the support of some macOS/Linux owner.
Maybe @peterwen could help

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Just sold my Schiit Yggdrasil and looking forward to the Sabaj D5 to replace it. Thanks @amirm and all for the education. Trying to be an owner of a new sabaj D5 through the hifi-express promotion. Anyone else order and get tracking info? 5 emails requesting ETA have gone unresponsive; should I be worried? Have never dealt with hifi-express and would not have unless recommended here.

ShiroNek0

I'm trying to update firmware with the update tool, but jflash cannot connect to D5.
This is the error message
2020-05-07 22_55_22-J-Flash V6.50b Error.png

Any idea how to fix it?

Veri

Master Contributor
Just sold my Schiit Yggdrasil and looking forward to the Sabaj D5 to replace it. Thanks @amirm and all for the education. Trying to be an owner of a new sabaj D5 through the hifi-express promotion. Anyone else order and get tracking info? 5 emails requesting ETA have gone unresponsive; should I be worried? Have never dealt with hifi-express and would not have unless recommended here.
It should be a legit website, probably corona virus has support overloaded.

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Although Hifi-express ignored 5 emails and 3 online chats, a few where they were to "respond immediately", they actually did. With silence. At any rate once I dropped a note here, chat was responsive, they agreed to give me a tracking number the next day. They did no such thing the next day as expected, yet a subsequent chat moved them to supply one. It was delivered the next day to sunny San Diego. Now as Marley would say. Redemption song. And a good one at that.

Speaking of knowing which button to press ... my old schiit Yggdrasil had none... this sabaj d5 on the other hand has one big one ... and I Love it. As the buyer left with my yggy in his hands, sellers remorse set in. It did a lot of things very well musically and otherwise... including drain my pocket. I finally gave up once I realized thanks to the kind people at super best audio friends that to get the very best out of the yggy I'd need an aes connection through a modded rasberry pi and a linear power supply. I already dropped coin man... now I gotta add what???? Frustrating. I knew there had to be a better engineered and hopefully more economical solution. If only the linear power supply was built into the unit and the USB input circuitry didn't need 3 iterations and fees for upgrades to get all sounding right I'd be all over it; for even close to the yggy sonic performance. I had to run my laptop on battery, disable the monitor, and disconnect all peripherals to create a source clean enough to get the yggy to sing. Long story less long... thanks to amir and all you guys I am now sellers remorse free. This thing sounds just as good or better than the yggy on decently mixed redbook which is 99.99999999% what I listen too. More importantly ....

The Sabaj D5 has solved a 30 year mystery. How I can get as close to live sound as I can without taking out a small loan. I've been through Harman Kardon and Marantz transports, Halide Dac, Marantz HD-1, and the Yggy. I cannot believe with this little device and my focal clears, after 30 years of searching, I'm finally content. I got the clears on ebay for a "G" and 4 bills for this fabulous dac/amp thanks to you guys. Really??? I'm not a rich or middle class guy. I'm a poor old guy who likes, scratch that, LOVES good sound. You mean I can have sound like this???? for under $1500 on a 0% 12 month deal. Blown away. I thank you guys immensely for turning me on to this device. Well ... Williams Duel of the Fates is making me tear up ... gotta get back to the music.

peterwen

Audio Company

Have you get it? Because 5 days off for the worker's day, that may have a delay reply. So sorry about that. But the item should be arrive.

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Have you get it? Because 5 days off for the worker's day, that may have a delay reply. So sorry about that. But the item should be arrive.
Yes sir! Putting miles on it. Rides like the presidents escalade. Josh Groban's Cinema Paradiso Se and Wynton Marsalis Daily Battles... its been 30 years since I can pay attention to the music instead of the device weaknesses.

Experienced some distortion at high volume (60+) with my Focal Clears using the 1/4 jack. Switched to balanced out and loud is a much lower value now (35) using firmware 1.6 with the 90 step volume control. There is no longer any distortion at high volume. At 60ohms impedance on the clears why would this happen? Luckily the Clear came with balanced and unbalanced cables and the Sabaj D5 has both outputs. Is this characteristic of all unbalanced 60ohm cans for this device for the unbalanced outs?

Mr. Olinad

Yes sir! Putting miles on it. Rides like the presidents escalade. Josh Groban's Cinema Paradiso Se and Wynton Marsalis Daily Battles... its been 30 years since I can pay attention to the music instead of the device weaknesses.

Experienced some distortion at high volume (60+) with my Focal Clears using the 1/4 jack. Switched to balanced out and loud is a much lower value now (35) using firmware 1.6 with the 90 step volume control. There is no longer any distortion at high volume. At 60ohms impedance on the clears why would this happen? Luckily the Clear came with balanced and unbalanced cables and the Sabaj D5 has both outputs. Is this characteristic of all unbalanced 60ohm cans for this device for the unbalanced outs?

I think you can get even more from the Sabaj D5 pairing it with a high quality Headphone amp. If you're not on a budget you shoud give it a try.
D5 is an amazing DAC, but I don't think it's headphone amp session is that great.
Now I'm gonna say something that I don't really know how it works or if it's even audible, but with the volume set at 60 you are probably at the point where ESS IMD Hump happens, wich may be the cause of the distortion you're hearing.
Try using the D5 with an amp with the volume fixed at 90 and you're done.
I use it with the THX 789 and the improvement is audible.

Top Bottom