• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj D5 - Owners' Thread

gvl

Major Contributor
I’ve used the HifiMan Sundara via unbalanced output, no complaints particularly. To my ears It doesn’t sound fatiguing but I’m not that sensitive to the higher frequencies as some of my friends are.

Fatiguing is a bit strong perhaps, but it is seemingly more intense in the HF than the Atom.

gvl

Major Contributor
The Etymotic ER2SEs I just received don't sound bright at all with the D5 unlike the HD6XXs, go figure.

calr

Yeah that's bit odd, don't remember the HD6XX being a bright headphone!

Mr. Olinad

Here is a video of the update process from V1.4 to V1.6

All the necessary information and downloads are in the videos description. Thanks to @Mr. Olinad for providing the V1.6 rev2 update file.

WOW!!!
You deserve more than just a like.

@TC!! can you edit your first post and refer to Malis's video?

Now I wanna see @renaudrenaud showing us how to do it with his Raspbery PI :p (just kidding)

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
@Malis @renaudrenaud Thanks for the instructions!

I just received my D5 so I believe my firmware is current: v1.6 (2020-04-01). That said, I'm a little confused about the firmware update procedure going forward. If I wanted to upgrade the firmware in the future (let's say a v1.7 comes out next year) are there two methods?
  1. Firmware upgrade using the tool
  2. Firmware upgrade via USB
Or when people on this thread refer to USB updates are they just talking about the drivers, not the firmware?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor

I just received my D5 so I believe my firmware is current: v1.6 (2020-04-01). That said, I'm a little confused about the firmware update procedure going forward. If I wanted to upgrade the firmware in the future (let's say a v1.7 comes out next year) are there two methods?
Or when people on this thread refer to USB updates are they just talking about the drivers, not the firmware?

Not sure to have understood everything but:
- You can upgrade the firmware of the SABAJ D5 using the tool available on Aliexpress.
- You can use the ASIO Windows driver, do not know the exact version, but I use the driver from the SMSL M500 instead, which is in more recent version. Not sure what are the diferencies.

Mr. Olinad

The question was not for me, but...

There's only one way to upgrade the Firmware and it's using the tool, just like on Malis video.

And yes, when people talk about the USB update, they are talking about the Windows Driver (don't know about other OS) that you can download at Sabaj's official page.
http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/services.asp?id=79
1606244037430.png

You'll see that both D5 drive and USB anti-interference files have an XMOS_USB....EXE inside.
1606244117595.png

I think you are good installing only the USB anti-interference, but if you rather to install both, just install D5 drive first and then the USB anti-interference.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I was able to install the latest XMOS driver just fine. (The v4.67.0 file from "XMOS_USBAudio_v4.67.0_2019-06-26_setup.exe".)

I went through the first few steps to install "USB anti-interference" and then decided against it. It appeared to me that it was trying to push the firmware back to v1.04. Also, I really don't know what the the "USB anti-interference" update is suppose to do/fix. Since my D5 is working just fine figured it's not worth it.

gvl

Major Contributor
I'm on 1.4 f/w with 40 volume steps. Anyone knows how much db each step is? I'm guessing it is somewhere around 2.5db if it is linear. I find I'm listening through my IEMs at around level 15 and suspect this is too much of digital attenuation. Is there a way to adjust the headphone amp gain down? Looking at the PCB pictures it doesn't look like there is.

boleh7

may i know where to download sabaj d5 firmware ? My unit is still with v1.3

[QUOTE = "Hr. Olinad, post: 364181, medlem: 6846"] Beklager, jeg har lige set e-mailen nu.
Blinkede allerede firmwaren med Peterwens v1.6 rev 2 : s

* Udgivelsesdatoer (.hex-filer)
v1.6 rev 1 - 04.01.2020 06:10
v1.6 rev 2 - 04.01.2020 22:36

De er ret forskellige, da jeg kunne tjekke med Notepad ++
View attachment 56921

Jeg vil virkelig gerne have mere info om det, men så længe det ikke f # $% med lyden, er jeg ok med det.
Alt jeg kan se er, at hex-filer fra v1.4, v1.6.1 og v1.6.2 er alt for forskellige til kun at ændre en ændring fra 40 til 90 trin. [/ QUOTE]

Mr. Olinad

I have problem to find the hex file, for update my Sabaj D5??
Hi Henrik,
I answered your question on youtube.
Looks like you didn't download the firmware file, only the Software to flash the firmware.

Besides Malis video there's also a step by step made by renaudrenaud, but it's in French.
https://sites.google.com/view/audiofolies/chi-fi/dac/sabaj-d5/sabaj-firwmare?authuser=0
Just use the Google Chrome tool to translate his page and you may find the way.

Top Bottom