• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A5 and A8 announced

raest

Ah .. Strange indeed, can I ask you what country it is?

However I also noticed that the price on audiophonics is really high for the A8, otherwise it would have been a good alternative.
Of course. I am located in Croatia :) i order often and plenty from amazon (and i'm a dummy without prime because "who knows when i'll order again..." [next month, of course])

mario_rouge

The problem Is that there is just one review of this amplifier... Is there anyone in the USA able to send the amplifier to Amir?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem Is that there is just one review of this amplifier... Is there anyone in the USA able to send the amplifier to Amir?
Isnt the A8 based on a well known ICE module?

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
Based on the ICEPower 125ASX2 which is specified by the manufacturer as having a 92 SINAD when bridged and 94 SINAD in stereo.

Roland68

Major Contributor
It would have been perfect if they just bypassed the volume control in bridge mode
What would that bring or change?
From a purely technical point of view, the resistance of the potentiometer would then simply be replaced by a fixed resistor.
However, one would lose the ability to adjust the sensitivity. But then a circuit for gain adjustment might be necessary.
Simply set the potentiometer to full deflection,

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What would that bring or change?
From a purely technical point of view, the resistance of the potentiometer would then simply be replaced by a fixed resistor.
However, one would lose the ability to adjust the sensitivity. But then a circuit for gain adjustment might be necessary.
Simply set the potentiometer to full deflection,

The supposed 280 mV input sensitivity suggests the preamp adds gain to the nominal 24.8 dB gain of the 125ASX2 module.

F' it, I am interested enough to buy one of these and check it out. Will be here on Saturday.

Michael

peterwen

Audio Company
anybody from the EU ordered from hifi-express from their EU warehouse?

considering getting the A8 (if i'll get a refund for the faulty PA5) to power my wife's Quad S2s in her room/office, and the A8 is significantly cheaper than on audiophonics (i'm sceptical 'cause the price stays the same whatever i choose as the warehouse). but i need it sooner rather than later
You can get it from hifi-express, and the price includes tax and shipping. also has a two-year warranty. Thanks

Enkay25

@peterwen

Can we expect a Topping LA90 competitor from Sabaj addressing the disappointing features of LA90?
A8 is nice……but like A20d 2022 version, if we can have more powerful A9? Or a A20a 2022 version not of merus Infineon but purifi module/hypex module?

Currently I am leaning more towards your products. The display change in A20d with larger volume font is a nice touch. This was a features much sought for in this forum, me included.
Any inputs @peterwen ?

Sorry for pestering.

Enkay25

There will be a higher power of the a20a 2022 available to suit the a20d 2022's, also with a BTL mode. But not icepower.
Icepower only used in the A8 and A5.
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the performance.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Is Infineon a better performer than ice?

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There will be a higher power of the a20a 2022 available to suit the a20d 2022's, also with a BTL mode. But not icepower.
Icepower only used in the A8 and A5.
Nice.
Already received a10d and wanted to buy two monos a8 but I'm going to wait for the new a20a and use them in mono.
Can't wait.

A10d 2022 seems to be bery attractive unit. Feels very well made and put together. I Iike big screen so I can read volume sitting on my couch.

mario_rouge

when will you sell the a20a 2022? will it be class D? can you tell us the technical characteristics?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A8 arrived today.

Just ran a power sweep and 68W x 2 into 8 ohm at 1% THD+N is a dead on spec as-is the 280 mV input sensitivity with the volume knob at max position which is an astounding 38 dB of gain. 1 kHz power sweep shown below in to 8 ohm dummy loads with both channels driven and volume knob at max. Don't take the lower level THD+N readings as accurate as I am using a MOTU M4 as an input / output device which will have it's own noise / distortion in the mix.

Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 1.33.25 PM.png

It also does not seem to like any input above 1.6 V which is disappointing because it limits how much you can turn the volume knob down for improved noise performance. Here is a sweep at about 24 dB of gain which results in ~70 W with 1.6 V input. Note the improved noise performance compared to the knob at full volume.

1651946315113.png

Going to do some testing bridged in to 8 ohms next and then will re-arrange my dummy loads to do some 4 ohm sweeps. Overall seems right on spec which is nice.

Michael

Last edited:

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A8 arrived today.

Just ran a power sweep and 68W x 2 into 8 ohm at 1% THD+N is a dead on spec as-is the 280 mV input sensitivity with the volume knob at max position which is an astounding 38 dB of gain. 1 kHz power sweep shown below in to an 8 ohm dummy loads with both channels driven and volume knob at max. Don't take the lower level THD+N readings as accurate as I am using a MOTU M4 as an input / output device which will have it's own noise / distortion in the mix.

View attachment 205224

It also does not seem to like any input above 1.6 V which is disappointing because it limits how much you can turn the volume knob down for improved noise performance. Here is a sweep at about 24 dB of gain which results in ~70 W with 1.6 V input. Note the improved noise performance compared to the knob at full volume.

View attachment 205228

Going to do some testing bridged in to 8 ohms next and then will re-arrange my dummy loads to do some 4 ohm sweeps. Overall seems right on spec which is nice.

Michael
Thank you very much for the work and the measures that confirm what has been declared. If I had the chance it would be great if I could do some measurements with bridge mode, which is what I believe many of us use. Thank you very much

Top Bottom