• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

snake69fast

Yes no problem with Xmos.

I just have Raspberry Pi4, before I had several PI3s with multimedia servers and readers to my DIY DACs.

Currently I have my entire collection on disk, but I haven't tested it yet because I use a lot of streaming via micro pc.

When I have time I will test and get back to you.

What software did you use for the pie? Volumio, Roon or LibreElec or Kodi?
Hi! I use Picoreplayer No luck with Sabaj A30A. Raspberrry Pi Zweo 2W can't see the Sabaj :(

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi! I use Picoreplayer No luck with Sabaj A30A. Raspberrry Pi Zweo 2W can't see the Sabaj :(

It may be the software that has a modification in its kernel code, have you tried with Volumio, Roon or generic OpenElec???

Ok it's the Zero 2, have you had positive results with a another USB DAC?

The ideal not to pollute this post, because the problem does not affect many here, we can continue the discussion elsewhere on the Raspberry DIY side.

Last edited:

snake69fast

It may be the software that has a modification in its kernel code, have you tried with Volumio, Roon or generic OpenElec???

Ok it's the Zero 2, have you had positive results with a another USB DAC?

The ideal not to pollute this post, because the problem does not affect many here, we can continue the discussion elsewhere on the Raspberry DIY side.
I use it with many DACs but this is a digital amplifier and I think it request something else on Output settings. My laptop has no problem with Sabaj A30A.

ModDIY

I use it with many DACs but this is a digital amplifier and I think it request something else on Output settings. My laptop has no problem with Sabaj A30A.
It has nothing to do with the amplifier but rather with the chipset used IN Xmos. For that I say that we must investigate more, and this post is not made for that. Give me a few days and I'll try with my Raspberry PI4 with Volumio (or another I have a few mounted on micro sd), I'll get back to you. If it works with the PI4, it probably means there is an incompatibility with the Zero 2 and the A30a's Xmos y chipset, but as I'm trying to explain it's a pretty sharp issue to discuss elsewhere. .

ModDIY

Did you have to pay any import taxes or duties when you ordered from hifi-express directly? According to hifi-express: "For many European countries, we offer a tax-paid Standard Shipping method via Yanwen Express."

@peterwen
Could you provide a firmware where it is possible to set lower crossover frequencies than 70 Hz (e.g. 60 Hz, 50 Hz)?

@peterwen

I too would like a new version of the firmware with cutoff at 50hz and 60hz.

With a cutoff of 70hz, it's still good and I believe according to the cutoff diagram on the site, the cutoff is around 32db per octave , which is excellent.

I listened to an electronic musical piece with a lot of bass, and it was unbelievable the power with the sub. But my speakers could be cut lower, at least at 60hz.

Last edited:

ModDIY

Salut! J'utilise Picoreplayer Pas de chance avec Sabaj A30A. Raspberrry Pi Zweo 2W ne peut pas voir le Sabaj:(

Salut,

Ce matin j'ai testé rapidement avec le player Kodi (basé sur OpenElec) que j'avais déjà configuré pour mon autre DAC Xmos et cela a fonctionné du premier coup sans toucher à la configuration.

J'ai aussi d'autres joueurs déjà configurés mais déjà si Kodi joue la première fois, cela signifie qu'il n'y a pas de problème de chipset sur le Xmos.

Maintenant que vous avez le Zero 2 avec Picoreplayer, pouvez-vous nous dire quelle version devez-vous installer ???

Le dernier en date est : piCorePlayer 8.2.0 (5 juin 2022).

20221204_120527.jpg

Last edited:

snake69fast

Salut,

Ce matin j'ai testé rapidement avec le player Kodi (basé sur OpenElec) que j'avais déjà configuré pour mon autre DAC Xmos et cela a fonctionné du premier coup sans toucher à la configuration.

J'ai aussi d'autres joueurs déjà configurés mais déjà si Kodi joue la première fois, cela signifie qu'il n'y a pas de problème de chipset sur le Xmos.

Maintenant que vous avez le Zero 2 avec Picoreplayer, pouvez-vous nous dire quelle version devez-vous installer ???

Le dernier en date est : piCorePlayer 8.2.0 (5 juin 2022).

View attachment 247808
Raspberry Pi Zero 2W, piCorePlayer 8.2.0, USB Audio, ALSA output setting in different ways. No luck...

MCH

Major Contributor
Raspberry Pi Zero 2W, piCorePlayer 8.2.0, USB Audio, ALSA output setting in different ways. No luck...
What is the output of "aplay -l"?
Can you have the pi zero working with a different DAC with USB C input and the same cable used with the Sabaj? (sorry if already discussed)

snake69fast

What is the output of "aplay -l"?
Can you have the pi zero working with a different DAC with USB C input and the same cable used with the Sabaj? (sorry if already discussed)
I had the Pi Zero 2w working with some other DACs but all of them with the USB-B input. I don't know where to use "aplay -I" in PicorePlayer :(

snake69fast

Also I tried to do an firmware upgrade to my Sabaj A30A but the software always freeze at the step where I click "connect" :(

MCH

Major Contributor
I had the Pi Zero 2w working with some other DACs but all of them with the USB-B input. I don't know where to use "aplay -I" in PicorePlayer :(
I am asking because unfortunately the pi zero only has micro USB and connecting a micro USB to a USB C can be challenging. Not all the cables and cable combinations work for every DAC. If I need to bet, I would say your problem might be there.
You can open a command terminal in picoreplayer. I don't remember right now how you can open it (I am at work and can't check it right now) but it is possible. If you type aplay -l the pi will tell you a list of devices connected to it that can output audio. Your Sabaj should be there (maybe with a different name).
Edit: now I remember, i do it with Putty. You just need to install putty in your windows computer and follow these instructions:

Last edited:

davidorff

Also I tried to do an firmware upgrade to my Sabaj A30A but the software always freeze at the step where I click "connect" :(

In some windows, there may be cases where 'connected' is not available in the update program.
Therefore, it is recommended to try to update in the genuine window that is not tweaked.
Or apply the latest Windows security updates and try again.

It's also a good idea to try connecting the amp to another laptop or PC.

ModDIY

I am asking because unfortunately the pi zero only has micro USB and connecting a micro USB to a USB C can be challenging. Not all the cables and cable combinations work for every DAC. If I need to bet, I would say your problem might be there.
You can open a command terminal in picoreplayer. I don't remember right now how you can open it (I am at work and can't check it right now) but it is possible. If you type aplay -l the pi will tell you a list of devices connected to it that can output audio. Your Sabaj should be there (maybe with a different name).
Edit: now I remember, i do it with Putty. You just need to install putty in your windows computer and follow these instructions:
I'm also leaning towards a USB limitation of the Zero 2.

Yes, good idea to go and see the list of what it recognizes and change the device name in the config file.

I've had this problem before with a PI 3 and software player.

This is the reason why at the top I wrote that the problem is pointed and that the thread is not the right place to discuss it. there are dozens of websites to do this.

The easiest solution, change the Zero 2 with a much more powerful one like the latest Raspberry PI 4.

MCH

Major Contributor
I'm also leaning towards a USB limitation of the Zero 2.

Yes, good idea to go and see the list of what it recognizes and change the device name in the config file.

I've had this problem before with a PI 3 and software player.

This is the reason why at the top I wrote that the problem is pointed and that the thread is not the right place to discuss it. there are dozens of websites to do this.

The easiest solution, change the Zero 2 with a much more powerful one like the latest Raspberry PI 4.
Agree, but the problem is where to get a pi 4 these days.
In any case, if USB is the issue, it will take some trial and error to set up the right cable/cables/connection, but once solved, a zero w with picoreplayer is a terrific low cost streamer and super stable.

vuittion

I am trying to update the firmware on my Sabaj A30a running Windows 10. In the system properties its showing a missing USB serial driver. Can anyone please help.

snake69fast

I use now a usb OTG cable for the Pi Zero 2W than an USB-A to USB-C cable. Little progress. 44.1 appears on my Sabaj display like in the case when I use my laptop but still Squeezelite can't start. aplay -l the result is no soundcard.

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
I use now a usb dongle cable for the Pi Zero 2W than an USB-A to USB-C cable. Little progress. 44.1 appears on my Sabaj display like in the case when I use my laptop but still Squeezelite can't start. aplay -l the result is no soundcard.

Hm. If aplay doesn't show any card.... no chance it works.

It could still be a connection issue or something else. Ideally someone with a sabaj a30a could try and see if he can get it to work with squeezelite. I am sorry i don't have one. At this point i would also recommend you to try in a squeezebox forum, i know this one below, try to search subforums where picoreplayer is discussed:
also, if you want to give it a try, this is a micro usb to usb c cable that works for me (from pi zero 2 w to other dacs, i dont have a sabaj a30a, so no warranty it works for you). If you have the possibility you can always order it to amazon, try it, and return it if it does not work:

good luck!

Maciekw

Sabaj a30a works without problems on the USB input with Squeezelite running on the Max2play system.

Reactions: MCH

El Cheapo

robbbie

I have an observation about the 'sub-out' output. I have no way of confirming this with measurements, but judging by ear (using both test tones and music) I get the impression that the volume curve of the subwoofer output is different from that of the main speakers. I have configured the subwoofer at volume 40 and at this level it is perfectly linear (the 'sub off' setting does not change the overall feel of the bass volume compared to the cut-off at 70Hz, only its downward extension), whereas at a much lower overall volume there is too much bass and similarly, at significantly higher volume levels, there is not enough bass. In both cases by changing the subwoofer gain I can get back to linear bass.
I tested this on all digital inputs with identical results. Perhaps the fact that I am using a wireless RCA signal transmitter, similar to the svs soundpath, is relevant here.
Could someone please try to reproduce this in their 2.1 system?

Top Bottom