• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

GiBo61

Is it really 70hz minimum LPF ?? So what happens when the best setting for your speakers is 60hz ? Which is recommended settings for many speakers by SVS itself and verified point by myself with several speakers. 70hz is high indeed for stereo setup. Can you bypass this, as a simple pre-out and use only the settings from the sub - svs sb 3000 in my case - which is just brilliant ?
I agree that a 70 Hz low pass filter could be limiting in some setup. I guess that is something that can be easily fixed with a firmware update. Sabaj, are you guys reading this thread?

Toku

Major Contributor
Is it really 70hz minimum LPF ?? So what happens when the best setting for your speakers is 60hz ? Which is recommended settings for many speakers by SVS itself and verified point by myself with several speakers. 70hz is high indeed for stereo setup. Can you bypass this, as a simple pre-out and use only the settings from the sub - svs sb 3000 in my case - which is just brilliant ?
If you set SUB CUTOFF in the menu to SUB OFF, the SW output will be full range output, so you can set the desired frequency with the LOW PASS setting of the SVS SB 3000.
Well, it shouldn't be difficult for Sabaj to set 70Hz or less with the current FW because it's a digital calculation process.

Last edited:

Damned

If you set SUB CUTOFF in the menu to SUB OFF, the SW output will be full range output, so you can set the desired frequency with the LOW PASS setting of the SVS SB 3000.
Well, it shouldn't be difficult for Sabaj to set 70Hz or less with the current FW because it's a digital calculation process.
Thanks for this information as I'm pretty sure I read here that the sub off function meant no signal at all was sent to this output !

Toku

Major Contributor
Thanks for this information as I'm pretty sure I read here that the sub off function meant no signal at all was sent to this output !
I lost confidence in my judgment and tried to check the operation of the SW output again.
When I disconnected the A30a speaker connection and checked only with the SW output, no sound came out. So your understanding is correct.
I apologize for saying the wrong thing to you.

Sleepy

I was considering NAD D3045 for my existing KEF Q150 pair and coming KEF kube 10b. I need optical in and sub out. NAD D3045 seems to be a decent product. But after reading this thread A30a really caught my eye. Any advice on which one I should choose?

pickyAudiophile

Mine was delivered today! It was shipped from China on November 3rd to Italy, luckily I didn't have to pay customs duties. Unfortunately it is a very demanding period of work and I will only be able to test it in a few days
New ways of import VAT prepayment have been established by postal organizations worldwide within the last few years. So there is still IOSS (designed by EU) for goods below 150€ but also competing soltutions implemented by postal organizations with each other on a bilateral basis.

GiBo61

I was considering NAD D3045 for my existing KEF Q150 pair and coming KEF kube 10b. I need optical in and sub out. NAD D3045 seems to be a decent product. But after reading this thread A30a really caught my eye. Any advice on which one I should choose?
Not an easy choice. The NAD D3045 seem a competent amplifier even if in Amir's review the amplification section is not brilliant (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/nad-d3045-review-integrated-amplifier.33172/). It also has much less power than the Sabaj. On the other hand, if you loose the remote or need to fix it I guess it will be much more easy to deal with Nad than with Sabaj in the future.

Damned

I lost confidence in my judgment and tried to check the operation of the SW output again.
When I disconnected the A30a speaker connection and checked only with the SW output, no sound came out. So your understanding is correct.
I apologize for saying the wrong thing to you.
Don't apologize, I think it's from you I read it was a "switch off" function, thanks for the test. I found it really pity, nothing beats - in stereo listening obviously - a straight preout to connect a sub. So when you have a good subwoofer with this amp you just need to mess with 2 LPF working together - and I can't imagine the result here - or on the contrary you disconnect all the bass management from your sub to use the much simpler one on the amp. Again, what a pity. For illustration, in SVS bass management, with LPF comes the slope settings (6, 12 default, 18, 24db) and the 24 db (recommended) makes a real Huge difference with the default 12db, so with these settings disconnected (lfe mode active) you lose a lot. So it's really not a product to use with a subwoofer in my opinion.

Attachments

• 5F61BFAD-F0E3-497D-8E3D-5AFD0F1E7AA2.png
    5F61BFAD-F0E3-497D-8E3D-5AFD0F1E7AA2.png
    91.1 KB · Views: 99

GiBo61

Don't apologize, I think it's from you I read it was a "switch off" function, thanks for the test. I found it really pity, nothing beats - in stereo listening obviously - a straight preout to connect a sub. So when you have a good subwoofer with this amp you just need to mess with 2 LPF working together - and I can't imagine the result here - or on the contrary you disconnect all the bass management from your sub to use the much simpler one on the amp. Again, what a pity. For illustration, in SVS bass management, with LPF comes the slope settings (6, 12 default, 18, 24db) and the 24 db (recommended) makes a real Huge difference with the default 12db, so with these settings disconnected (lfe mode active) you lose a lot. So it's really not a product to use with a subwoofer in my opinion.
Again, I guess tha this is something that could be easily implemented with a firmware update making this device more popular (Sabaj people, do you ear us?),

SlamTaz

received my sabaj a30a this morning, updated the fw and currently testing it.

indeed, the low-end is now more pronounced and balanced with the output level of the high/mid levels. my initial impression is that my elac dbr62's sound is crisper as compared to the loxjie a30, where with my eyes closed, i can better isolate & hear the location of the vocals and various instruments. somehow i feel that the sound details are coming from or playing from a wider landscape, if that makes sense.

i bumped the volume to about 90-95db avg and still very much controlled and clean sound where the loxjie appears to start to struggle and clip.

also tried the sub cutoff and it works as described in this thread, not that the dbr62's need it, as for a lot of music genre it's fine on its own, but i can see it beneficial when playing bass heavy music (i.e. like some r&b's) or when watching movies.

the surface is still cool to the touch after about 30mins of use.

thanks @Toku , your contributions to this thread has been very helpful.

so far, im happy.

sabaj_a30a_p1.jpgsabaj_a30a_p2.jpg

Last edited:

robbbie

Hello to everyone,

I've just registered to this forum, although I've been reading it for a few months now.

The reason for the registration is simple - I'd like to second the question/request to sabaj about sub-out functionality.

I'm still waiting for a30a to come to me (ordered a few days ago) but I'm a bit worried that I'll be unable to properly use full potential of my 2.1 system. Currently I have svs sub connected to high-level output from my amp but as I understand this is a no-go with a30a. As I'm using floorstanders, my low pass filter is set at 38Hz. I'd like it to remain that way as I've had spent days integrating the sub with speakers to get the best of the system.
I'm really hoping to get to like a30a but with this flaw I doubt we'll get on well with each other.

TLDR: Sabaj people, please give us an option for a full range sub-out.

SlamTaz

received my sabaj a30a this morning, updated the fw and currently testing it.

indeed, the low-end is now more pronounced and balanced with the output level of the high/mid levels. my initial impression is that my elac dbr62's sound is crisper as compared to the loxjie a30, where with my eyes closed, i can better isolate & hear the location of the vocals and various instruments. somehow i feel that the sound details are coming from or playing from a wider landscape, if that makes sense.

i bumped the volume to about 90-95db avg and still very much controlled and clean sound where the loxjie appears to start to struggle and clip.

also tried the sub cutoff and it works as described in this thread, not that the dbr62's need it, as for a lot of music genre it's fine on its own, but i can see it beneficial when playing bass heavy music (i.e. like some r&b's) or when watching movies.

the surface is still cool to the touch after about 30mins of use.

thanks @Toku , your contributions to this thread has been very helpful.

so far, im happy.

View attachment 244008View attachment 244009
after about 2.5 hrs of use, the top surface is now warm (i.e. if i were to guesstimate, approaching fever temp), with room temp at about 72F. this has been the temp from about an hour of use till now.

SlamTaz

Hello to everyone,

I've just registered to this forum, although I've been reading it for a few months now.

The reason for the registration is simple - I'd like to second the question/request to sabaj about sub-out functionality.

I'm still waiting for a30a to come to me (ordered a few days ago) but I'm a bit worried that I'll be unable to properly use full potential of my 2.1 system. Currently I have svs sub connected to high-level output from my amp but as I understand this is a no-go with a30a. As I'm using floorstanders, my low pass filter is set at 38Hz. I'd like it to remain that way as I've had spent days integrating the sub with speakers to get the best of the system.
I'm really hoping to get to like a30a but with this flaw I doubt we'll get on well with each other.

not to be snarky but i don't think it's a flaw of the a30a to have the sub-cutoff at 70hz, as it appears to be purposely built to that spec. having said that however, i agree with you and other posters that since this is a full digital amp, i think sabaj can come out with a fw update to change that to something else and will make it more flexible.

R.J.

Hello to everyone,

I mailed them more than a week ago to ask if they could implement lower crossover frequencies than 70 Hz in the firmware. They have not responded so far. I would also like to order a unit, but not being able to set lower crossovers is a dealbreaker for me. Also the sub out should output a full range signal when „sub off“ has been selected.

Last edited:

Sleepy

Hello to everyone,

Why connecting to high-level output from a30a is a no-go?

robbbie

Why connecting to high-level output from a30a is a no-go?
It's discussed in this topic, starting around post #332. In short, unlike A/B amplifiers, class D amps (some of them at least, including a30a) are not suited for high-level connection to subwoofer and might be damaged if used in such setup

Sleepy

GiBo61

Thanks for the info. Sorry I am late to the party. In such case, I wonder if this method https://rel.net/blog/2015-07-23/how-to/how-to-connect-a-rel-to-a-class-d-amp/ could be the solution.
I'm no expert but my guess is that the Axign technology implemented in the Sabaj A30a makes it impossible to have high-level connection to subwoofer. Axign uses a digital feedback control loop behind the output filter in the circuit, directly through the speaker cable terminals. I guess that connecting a subwoofer will somehow interfere with the process.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm no expert but my guess is that the Axign technology implemented in the Sabaj A30a makes it impossible to have high-level connection to subwoofer. Axign uses a digital feedback control loop behind the output filter in the circuit, directly through the speaker cable terminals. I guess that connecting a subwoofer will somehow interfere with the process.
The feedback has nothing to do with it. As can be read in the Rel article, it’s the grounding scheme that is “messed” it up. They blame the amps, yet all they have to do is make sure that they don’t reference the high-level input to ground. Nowadays a great many amps are like this.

Those sub inputs are high impedance, they won’t influence any feedback loop, digital or otherwise.

Top Bottom