• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Can you tell me the organization name? Or I can go up and update
Not an organisation you are involved in I don't think. I'm not going to name them here, most people already know who is currently having a major fail in the customer experience area.

davidorff

After applying the firmware released on the 23rd, the volume size was reduced by about 20 and the sound became distorted.
Is it just me? That's weird.

Eventually, I applied the firmware again on the 19th and everything came back to normal.
I don't use subwoofer, only use 2 channels.

The system environment is Windows 11, 22H2 version.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
After applying the firmware released on the 23rd, the volume size was reduced by about 20 and the sound became distorted.

Eventually, I applied the firmware again on the 19th and everything came back to normal.
I don't use subwoofer, only use 2 channels.

The system environment is Windows 11, 22H2 version.
I also confirmed the symptoms.
The volume level drops considerably.
I ended up reverting to the previous version.
It seems that Sabaj updated the FW a little too quickly and did not sufficiently verify the behavior after the fix.
I will inform Sabaj about this matter again.

Tonton_ZEeD

I did notice a volume level drop but no distortions.

I also confirmed the symptoms.
The volume level drops considerably.
I will inform Sabaj about this matter again.

Thank you Toku.

Toku

Major Contributor
I did notice a volume level drop but no distortions.

Thank you Toku.
I also have experience in software development at work, but I have experienced mistakes like this.
If you rush to solve the problem, you will look at it locally and neglect to check the relationship with other processes.

Toku

Major Contributor
We received an official response from Sabaj in China about the problem that the volume drops with the firmware update.

``We have confirmed the symptom that the volume drops due to the FW update at the factory, but it is within the normal operation range, so please raise the volume a little and use it.'' was the answer.

It's true that 99 is the maximum volume level, but my normal use level was about 25-30. It means that it was used at a very low position compared to MAX99.
Now it's at a level of about 45-50. The sound quality is the same as before and I don't feel any distortion.

I will continue to use this new FW for a while. I will also report to Sabaj if I find any problems.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Possibly they changed the volume control from log to lin or other way around? I guess the loudest setting is still as loud as it was?

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I'd personally say this is a win.

If you're running normal volume is 25 then you're effectively wasting 75% of the dial.

really 45-50 for normal volume seems more reasonable

i'd really wish they'd have an option for -64dB -> 0dB like classic amps used to

Toku

Major Contributor
Possibly they changed the volume control from log to lin or other way around? I guess the loudest setting is still as loud as it was?
I think the volume setting is the same as before with a logarithmic curve taper A.
From the actual volume change, it is not a taper B with linear characteristics.
My feeling is that the gain is simply changed.
If you have any questions, please contact Sabaj technical staff @peterwen directly.

longma

I think the volume setting is the same as before with a logarithmic curve taper A.
From the actual volume change, it is not a taper B with linear characteristics.
My feeling is that the gain is simply changed.
If you have any questions, please contact Sabaj technical staff @peterwen directly.
Hi Toku, i greatly appreciate your contributions in ASR and i am a follower of your posts ( i bought 2 SMSL A300 based on your posts). However, for this product, $400-$500 range, it is hard for me to jump in the band wagon. The products at this range should have been much better qualified or tested before release for production.

OP
P

peterwen

Audio Company
Hi Toku, i greatly appreciate your contributions in ASR and i am a follower of your posts ( i bought 2 SMSL A300 based on your posts). However, for this product, $400-$500 range, it is hard for me to jump in the band wagon. The products at this range should have been much better qualified or tested before release for production.
Thank you very much for your feedback. There is a little software bug on the a30a. We will change it as soon as possible. Customers can upgrade the firmware to solve the problem. There is a new version of the firmware, test it and it can be released. The volume curve is optimized, the PCM filter is added to the SUB CUTOFF mode, and the sub sound can be filtered out.
At this price of $400-$500, the a30a is a power amplifier that can be used directly without the need to purchase other receivers and decoders, and has a lot of EQ options, making it a very good purchase choice. And it sounds really good.
Thank you so much.

Last edited:

longma

Thank you very much for your feedback. There is a little software bug on the a30a. We will change it as soon as possible. Customers can upgrade the firmware to solve the problem. There is a new version of the firmware, test it and it can be released. The volume curve is optimized, the PCM filter is added to the SUB CUTOFF mode, and the sub sound can be filtered out.
At this price of $400-$500, the a30a is a power amplifier that can be used directly without the need to purchase other receivers and decoders, and has a lot of EQ options, making it a very good purchase choice. And it sounds really good.
Thank you so much.
Thank you for your response. If it is reliable and bug free, A30a, as DAC + integrate amp, is a compelling product for $500.
However, for people who already have a good and decent source ( DAC) and like direct mode ( no need of EQs), do they need A30a?
Another question is, for me, if A30a, as an amp, a good upgrade ( sound quality) fromSMSL A300 (2022) or Sabaj A20a ( 2022) for $500? Thanks.

nsfgp

Thank you so much.
Hi Peter: Can you explain a little more about the line in bold above about the Sub Cutoff mode change??

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi Peter: Can you explain a little more about the line in bold above about the Sub Cutoff mode change??
A new FW test file has been sent to me by Sabaj and is currently being tested. (SABAJ_A30a MCU_FW 220928)
Changes from the last FW

1. It became a natural change by reviewing the characteristic curve of the volume control.

2. The SW setting has been changed so that low-pass and high-pass are now combined.
SUB Cut Off Frequency: OFF, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 140, 160 (Hz)
When SUB is set to OFF, the SW output stops and the speaker output outputs the entire band.
When the SUB frequency is set to 70 to 160Hz, the speaker output will be in high-pass mode linked to the SUB setting frequency and will be low-cut. It feels like the SUB setting frequency is the crossover point.

I've tested it and haven't found any problems so far, so I think Sabaj will issue a new FW soon.

Toku

Major Contributor
Another question is, for me, if A30a, as an amp, a good upgrade ( sound quality) fromSMSL A300 (2022) or Sabaj A20a ( 2022) for $500? Thanks.
I'm not a music fan, nor a general audio fan, but an audio equipment fan, so this will be a technical sound quality evaluation, but here are my impressions of the A30a.

I have purchased products such as SMSL A300/AO200/DA-9 and Sabaj's A8/A20a/A20a 2022 to compare sound quality. The A30a sounds very different from these Class D products. Sound transparency, resolution, and the size of the sound stage are clearly one rank higher. It's hard to describe this difference in words. If you actually hear the sound of the A30a, you will understand what I mean.

The DENON DRA-100 was my first encounter with a full digital amplifier.
Since then, I've always been fascinated by full digital amplifiers, and this time I bought the A30a, which has the same contents as the SMSL VMV A2 but at a lower price.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A new FW test file has been sent to me by Sabaj and is currently being tested. (SABAJ_A30a MCU_FW 220928)
Changes from the last FW

1. It became a natural change by reviewing the characteristic curve of the volume control.

2. The SW setting has been changed so that low-pass and high-pass are now combined.
SUB Cut Off Frequency: OFF, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 140, 160 (Hz)
When SUB is set to OFF, the SW output stops and the speaker output outputs the entire band.
When the SUB frequency is set to 70 to 160Hz, the speaker output will be in high-pass mode linked to the SUB setting frequency and will be low-cut. It feels like the SUB setting frequency is the crossover point.

I've tested it and haven't found any problems so far, so I think Sabaj will issue a new FW soon.
It is refreshing to see a manufacturer reacting to feedback.

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
Sabaj is a rare presence among many audio equipment manufacturers that always stays close to the user.
I have purchased Sabaj's products so far and encountered troubles many times, but Sabaj has always dealt with them sincerely.
To err is human, to correct is divine

longma

I'm not a music fan, nor a general audio fan, but an audio equipment fan, so this will be a technical sound quality evaluation, but here are my impressions of the A30a.

I have purchased products such as SMSL A300/AO200/DA-9 and Sabaj's A8/A20a/A20a 2022 to compare sound quality. The A30a sounds very different from these Class D products. Sound transparency, resolution, and the size of the sound stage are clearly one rank higher. It's hard to describe this difference in words. If you actually hear the sound of the A30a, you will understand what I mean.

The DENON DRA-100 was my first encounter with a full digital amplifier.
Since then, I've always been fascinated by full digital amplifiers, and this time I bought the A30a, which has the same contents as the SMSL VMV A2 but at a lower price.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Last edited:
Top Bottom