• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

R.J.

Did you have to pay any import taxes or duties when you ordered from hifi-express directly? According to hifi-express: "For many European countries, we offer a tax-paid Standard Shipping method via Yanwen Express."

@peterwen
Could you provide a firmware where it is possible to set lower crossover frequencies than 70 Hz (e.g. 60 Hz, 50 Hz)?

Last edited:

GiBo61

Does this suffer from dry mids like a lot of Class d amps.
Premising that honestly I'm not sure I can distinguish the sound of an amplifier from that of another of the same category in an ABX test, what I can say is that my Sabaj A30a has a clean and pleasant sound and that the naturalness of the mids is one of its strengths

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does this suffer from dry mids like a lot of Class d amps.
Not at all.

This is the first class D amp that doesn't sound dry like the others I've owned for 10 years. At home in the living room, the A30a came to replace a pair of Musical Fidelity class AB amplifiers, to bi-amplify my previous speakers. I wanted the ease of use of an FDA amp with just one knob.

And buying the A30a without having heard it, I was a little worried that the quality of the medium would not be up to par with my new Focal Chora 826 speakers...because I listen to a lot of classical and jazz music, and for me the quality of the stamps in the mediums is important to me.

I was hoping for a natural sound like you find in all good amplifiers in class AB or A, but I was won over by its musicality from the start.

In fact unlike the video, the A30a is very balanced and does not favor part of the precise sound spectrum, it sounds very flat. As I already have, this is my first class D amp which makes me forget that it is class D.

On the other hand, if you have enough quality speakers, if you listen to average quality recordings, the defects will come out very easily, but never to the detriment of listening pleasure. I listened to recordings from the 60s and 70s (remastered for several), and I had fun listening to them even if the recording faults of the time stand out.

In the end, as said by a member of the forum above, the Sabaj A30a sounds like a good amp, neither more nor less, it's not a magic box. The Axign controller really hits the mark. This amplifier is a full digital FDA, and it is here that it earns points (dynamics, sinad etc..).

We can of course have better but at what price.

Calculate how much a good dac with balanced outputs and an amplifier of this power costs, and then we will compare oranges with oranges and not against an amplifier at 5-10 times its price.

vuittion

Thank you for the reply, did you notice any change in sound after using the amp.

ModDIY

Premising that honestly I'm not sure I can distinguish the sound of an amplifier from that of another of the same category in an ABX test, what I can say is that my Sabaj A30a has a clean and pleasant sound and that the naturalness of the mids is one of its strengths
Yes we can also talk about the soundstage with good recordings which is wide and deep, very advanced definition, well-articulated bass and highs with a dynamic that made me jump when several of them suddenly played an instrument in recording, but what for me the best are the very natural mids, listening, it sounds very correct and I never ask myself the question if it's correct, but rather "what will I I listen now".

Because we must not lose sight of the fact that the intimate goal is to listen to music and above all to get value for money. As Toku wrote, try it and you will judge for yourself.

ModDIY

Thank you for the reply, did you notice any change in sound after using the amp.
Not really because the sound was good from the start.

While for example with the Sabaj A20a 2019, the sound improves a little after 40-50 hrs...for information, the A20a 2019 has a drier medium sound and does not sound as good, on the other hand with less precise speakers the sound is very good despite this, and I listen to the A20a 2019 every day in my office with bookshelf speakers based on Wavecor speakers that I am developing.

In the end, it all depends on our needs because the A20a 2019 needs a dac, ideally with balanced outputs. I hope I have answered your questions.

kominstein

Is there any info what's the power consumption in idle? I mean, not in standby mode, but powered on with the display dimmed.

kominstein

Power consumption at idle is about 17W.
When playing music, 19~20W is consumed at about 80db.
To be honest I thought it would be lower. As it doesn't have auto-on feature on digital signal detection, with this power consumption, I cannot consider it as always-on device connected to some external streamer. Thought it would be around 5 watts at idle.

Nevertheless, thanks for confirmation.

MCH

Major Contributor
On the Audiophonics site among the specs they say "Consumption 0,5 W." https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/full...etooth-aptx-hd-ldac-2x200w-4-ohm-p-16692.html
normally this <0,5 W power rating is when the device is in "stand by", that is, for instance, when you press off in the remote but don't press off the physical switch in the rear. It is mandatory in the EU for many devices to have such stand by mode and use a maximum of power while on it (typically 0,5W, depending on the type of device). I believe it is even mandatory that the device enters the stand by mode automatically after some time, but i am not sure of this. Idle is when the device is fully on but no music is playing.
But i agree that audiophonics spec can be confusing.

ModDIY

Hi!
Can it be use with a Raspberry Pi with the USB input?
Thank you!

Yes no problem with Xmos.

I just have Raspberry Pi4, before I had several PI3s with multimedia servers and readers to my DIY DACs.

Currently I have my entire collection on disk, but I haven't tested it yet because I use a lot of streaming via micro pc.

When I have time I will test and get back to you.

What software did you use for the pie? Volumio, Roon or LibreElec or Kodi?

Top Bottom