• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

galego100

How do you think this amp with a SVS Subwoofer SB 2000 PRO and Monitor AudioSilver 6G 100 , will perform with movies? It´s ok ? I´m not looking for 5.1 or multichannel system , i already have the MA Silver100 6G and the sub, so i´m looking for an amp... I know AVR it´s more obvious and appropriated, but i wonder how an amp like this one , perform with movies on 2.1 system.

GiBo61

How do you think this amp with a SVS Subwoofer SB 2000 PRO and Monitor AudioSilver 6G 100 , will perform with movies? It´s ok ? I´m not looking for 5.1 or multichannel system , i already have the MA Silver100 6G and the sub, so i´m looking for an amp... I know AVR it´s more obvious and appropriated, but i wonder how an amp like this one , perform with movies on 2.1 system.
Which amplifier are you using now for your Monitor AudioSilver 6G 100?

GiBo61

None... I just bought them in second hand from a friend, in a real bargain , 200$...
If you plan to use a 2.1 speaker configuration and are not interested in a HDMI video interface I see no reason in buying an AVR if your priority is the quality of the sound. One limitation of the Sabaj compared to AVRs and more conventional amplifiers is the limited number of inputs, however you can find both Toslink and Coaxial switch boxes to connect more sources (TVs, streamers, CD players, etc.)

TjindarSingh

Currently I own the Sabaj A20a 2019 and the A30a.

Already the A20a 2019 is already very good with these 2 x MA12070 (except structure and positioning problem of the SMPS which creates a slight hiss with the RCA input and at high volume, silent on XLR), Toku which has the 2 2019 and 2022 versions at already mentioned that the Infineon 2022 version offered better sound.

It's an Infineon too, but a much more powerful model.
Do you think the a30a is a big step up from the a20a 2019 sound and power wise? I had very good success with the 2019 modell.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you think the a30a is a big step up from the a20a 2019 sound and power wise? I had very good success with the 2019 modell.

The Sabaj A20a 2019 is fine but does not compare to the A30a. I was able to compare the two with my Focal columns....

The A30a is clearly superior from all points of view. If you like the A20a, you'll love the A30a.

Of course, there is a minimum of quality for the speakers to take full advantage of the improvements made by the A30a.

Yes it is a BIG step up..

Ps: A20a 2019

Last edited:

TjindarSingh

The Sabaj A20a is fine but does not compare to the A30a. I was able to compare the two with my Focal columns....

The A30a is clearly superior from all points of view. If you like the A20a, you'll love the A30a.

Of course, there is a minimum of quality for the speakers to take full advantage of the improvements made by the A30a.

Yes it is a BIG step up.
After watching the Thomas and stereo video I'm afraid it will be like listen with the loudness button pressed in. He says its not neutral and is emphasis on the base and top end. The 2019 sounds clean to me in the neutral mode maybe s little extre in the bottom.

Has somebody measure the a30a yet?

Thomas mentioned the dreaded "digital glare" in this review. I thought I would look into what its about. Amir summed it up in this post from 2018 https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-is-the-cause-of-digital-glare.5912/ Thomas' comment surprised me. What I like
most about this amp is that the high end is so smooth, detailed and non fatiguing.

As for the amp sounding scooped, (like the loudness button is engaged) it sounds pretty flat to me when no eq is engaged.

PeterOo

Thomas mentioned the dreaded "digital glare" in this review. I thought I would look into what its about. Amir summed it up in this post from 2018 https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-is-the-cause-of-digital-glare.5912/ Thomas' comment surprised me. What I like
most about this amp is that the high end is so smooth, detailed and non fatiguing.

As for the amp sounding scooped, (like the loudness button is engaged) it sounds pretty flat to me when no eq is engaged.
Luckily Thomas says you can remove part of the “digital glare” by adding an external DAC. So the extra DA conversion (external DAC) and AD conversion (internal ADC) creates a digital signal that produces less “digital glare”.:facepalm:
Somebody should to explain Thomas how this amp works.

galego100

If you plan to use a 2.1 speaker configuration and are not interested in a HDMI video interface I see no reason in buying an AVR if your priority is the quality of the sound. One limitation of the Sabaj compared to AVRs and more conventional amplifiers is the limited number of inputs, however you can find both Toslink and Coaxial switch boxes to connect more sources (TVs, streamers, CD players, etc.)
My goal is connect through Toshlink to my projector . Do you think is possible obtain a powerfull stage, impactfull and warming sound? I know that i will not have the surround effect , i don´t have configuration room to put surround speakers, and honestly i like stereo sound with sub on movies. My point, is , even with stereo, we feel envolvence and powerfull sound.

ModDIY

It's not digital dazzling, it's more jealous audiophile gibberish that an audio device with this performance should be so cheap.

I have been playing the guitar for a very long time, my spouse plays the piano with 10 years of training and on an upright piano in the living room.

The A30a is capable of reproducing good recordings with a lot of realism. I have owned several class D amplifiers over the years, and this is the first one that makes me forget the others, the sound is super detailed, no offense to some, but never aggressive and always like a hand of iron in a velvet glove.

Then adding an external DAC to the A30a is like adding a gas engine to a well-designed hybrid car.

roog

Forum Donor
Amir needs to measure this thing! :0)

And I would love to see how the Sabaj A20a 2022 performs, these modest cost IC based class D amps are fascinating and it would be great to see how they compare to the leading and bespoke ‘Eigentakt’ offering from Purifi.

Last edited:

oldjoba

I ordered one from Hifi-Express. Instead of one unit I received two units. When I contacted them I got an offer to keep the one I did not order if I payed $440 ( I payed €444.99 originally for the unit I bought). And no excuse for the extra trouble, instead I was asked to send the additional unit to an adress here in Sweden, presumably to another customer. I can not really say this practice inspire much confidence.

GiBo61

Thomas likes it.

So Thomas in his video really appreciates the impressive dynamic contrast in the sound of the Sabaj A30a. Interestingly, in this video review of the almost twin device SMSL VMV A2 ([youtube]gmLyqAnAH74[), the major complain of the tester was the "limited sense of scale an dynamics" (around minute 8).
I'm no expert and as far as I know any powerful amplifier (200 W/4 Ohm) like the Sabaj A30a or the SMSL VMV A2 connected to speakers of medium sensitivity in a normal size room should have a good dynamic range, expressed as the difference in power output between the average levels and the peak levels in a recording.
Are there powerful amplifiers with a poor or limited dynamic contrast?

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
So Thomas in his video really appreciates the impressive dynamic contrast in the sound of the Sabaj A30a. Interestingly, in this video review of the almost twin device SMSL VMV A2 ([youtube]gmLyqAnAH74[), the major complain of the tester was the "limited sense of scale an dynamics" (around minute 8).
I'm no expert and as far as I know any powerful amplifier (200 W/4 Ohm) like the Sabaj A30a or the SMSL VMV A2 connected to speakers of medium sensitivity in a normal size room should have a good dynamic range, expressed as the difference in power output between the average levels and the peak levels in a recording.
Are there powerful amplifiers with a poor or limited dynamic contrast?
Impossible to say, since audio "dynamic contrast" is not defined, and will mean different things to different people.

ModDIY

Yes the sounds its pretty flat.

Top Bottom