• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

Toku

Major Contributor
Thanks for the explanation and the warning! I was planning to use a Dynavox Amp-S MKII speaker selector with a class D amplifier (audiophonics mpa-s250nc - BTL method). The dynavox has a "zero" position that you must go through when you select an amplifier. Is it useful to avoid short circuits?
I looked into The Dynavox AMP-S MKII, and since both the + and - of the speaker are switched by a switch, there should be no short circuit. You can use it.

Attachments

• Dynavox-AMP-S-MKII-black-open.jpg
    Dynavox-AMP-S-MKII-black-open.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 133

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So whats your verdict on the amp.

As soon as I can get back to you.

Nice setup and gorgeous cat! I'm curious to ear how does the Sabaj play with your new Focals...

I only listened to it for a few hours. I'm very busy at the moment, on the development of a new bookshelf with hps Wavecor, for me and a music lover and audiophile friend.

My head and my ears especially, walks from one amplification to another.

I should have more time in the next few days to do some serious listening and push the A30a close to its limits. I listen to a lot of classical music, jazz style of all kinds, pop rock, electronic hip hop and others.

So before deciding, I want to quickly go around my musical favorites.

But with what I've heard so far, the sound is very high level.

pym

I looked into The Dynavox AMP-S MKII, and since both the + and - of the speaker are switched by a switch, there should be no short circuit. You can use it.
Thank you very much for your help! I just checked with a multimeter and everything is ok. Amazing forum with nice people ready to help noobs :)

PS: for those who are interested, audiophonics support told me that their da-s250nc amplifier is not bridged

Last edited:

Piopio

I tested Sabaj with DSD files.

Damn how good it plays!

For the first time in my life I felt the true superiority of DSD files. The sound was smooth and thoroughly analog, incredibly dynamic and natural

Which is a paradox considering the origin of the music (digital file), processing and D class final stage. Hell has frozen over!

Sabaj incredibly differentiates the recordings due to the origin of the source material. Hear the difference between 16/44.1, Hi-Res and DSD. So far I was a skeptic - I thought that the differences are so small that you can't hear them. But with the right equipment, you can hear it.

My audiophile dream from years ago came true - an amplifier was created that offers an almost perfect sound for ridiculous money. It probably won't drive demanding High-End loudspeakers, but mid-range ones for sure.

For me, this is the end of the search. I found my grail

P.S

Sabaj A30A/SMSL A2 needs a really good digital source to show all the best.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i'm assuming the a30a uses its dac to process the music to analog then passes this to convert to pwm and then to the amp?

FioleK

There is no DAC, just PWM, there are ADC in the loop.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
so this is like the smsl vmv a2

if you input digital it just straight converts it to pwm and amps it out

that's supposed to be better than the traditional pcm to analog to pwm route

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
so this is like the smsl vmv a2

if you input digital it just straight converts it to pwm and amps it out

that's supposed to be better than the traditional pcm to analog to pwm route
Whether it is better or not will depend on how well it is implemented. In the absence of information on this, I'd say it has potential to be better.

Whether is is technically better or not, it is unlikely to be audibly different unless really badly implemented.

GiBo61

I tested Sabaj with DSD files.

Damn how good it plays!

For the first time in my life I felt the true superiority of DSD files. The sound was smooth and thoroughly analog, incredibly dynamic and natural

Which is a paradox considering the origin of the music (digital file), processing and D class final stage. Hell has frozen over!

Sabaj incredibly differentiates the recordings due to the origin of the source material. Hear the difference between 16/44.1, Hi-Res and DSD. So far I was a skeptic - I thought that the differences are so small that you can't hear them. But with the right equipment, you can hear it.

My audiophile dream from years ago came true - an amplifier was created that offers an almost perfect sound for ridiculous money. It probably won't drive demanding High-End loudspeakers, but mid-range ones for sure.

For me, this is the end of the search. I found my grail

P.S

Sabaj A30A/SMSL A2 needs a really good digital source to show all the best.
In a previous post you mentioned you had the opportunity to listen also to the SMSL VMV A2 full digital amplifier. I realise that it's impossible to compare two devices with tests performed at different times (and maybe in a different setup), I'm just wondering if you got a similar feeling with the Sabaj and the SMSL considering that they are almost twin amplifiers. What kind of speakers does your Sabaj A30a drive?

Last edited:

Piopio

In a previous post you mentioned you had the opportunity to listen also to the SMSL VMV A2 full digital amplifier. I realise that it's impossible to compare two devices with tests performed at different times (and maybe in a different setup), I'm just wondering if you got a similar feeling with the Sabaj and the SMSL considering that they are almost twin amplifiers. What kind of speakers does your Sabaj A30a drive?
I tested the SMSL VMV A2 on BNM Berges 3 loudspeakers and Sabaj A30A on KEF LS50.
They sound very similar to the KEF LS50s I have. Of course they have more bass.
I listened to my favorite tracks on both systems and the sound was very similar on both.
The source was a PC with Roon and a USB Topping HS01 galvanic isolator.
Both amps sound the same to me. SMSL is more luxurious - appearance, AES/EBU input (unnecessary because you use USB), better remote control.

FCloG

3 weeks that I have this amp .... And I love it!
For starters I find it super cute with a quality of manufacture above the lot ... All that for less than 500 € !!! unbelievable !
I tried it with several pairs of speakers, Ellipson Optima with a 8" woofer and Boston CR9 (I really like these speakers) with a 8" woofer too.
Amplifier connected to the speakers with a Qed xt40i. Style of music... From classical to hard core metal, including blues, jazz (Melody Gardot... Hummm), rock, reaggae...
For points of comparison, I have owned several amps.... Denon pma 725r, Yamaha, Atoll...
I find this amp very transparent with excellent dynamics. The soundstage is wide with good spatialization. The bass is punchy and goes down very low, the highs are detailed, never aggressive.
Since there is practically no distortion and a good snr, listening at high volume is pleasant, everything is there and stays in place without hearing fatigue !!! and on a piece of hip hop, we clearly feel the bass physically... I love it!!!
I think this amp has an exceptional quality / price / pleasure ratio.
Thank you all for your contributions and especially to Toku for his help.
You can go there with your eyes closed!!! €431 right now on hifi express o_O

ModDIY

3 weeks that I have this amp .... And I love it!
For starters I find it super cute with a quality of manufacture above the lot ... All that for less than 500 € !!! unbelievable !
I tried it with several pairs of speakers, Ellipson Optima with a 8" woofer and Boston CR9 (I really like these speakers) with a 8" woofer too.
Amplifier connected to the speakers with a Qed xt40i. Style of music... From classical to hard core metal, including blues, jazz (Melody Gardot... Hummm), rock, reaggae...
For points of comparison, I have owned several amps.... Denon pma 725r, Yamaha, Atoll...
I find this amp very transparent with excellent dynamics. The soundstage is wide with good spatialization. The bass is punchy and goes down very low, the highs are detailed, never aggressive.
Since there is practically no distortion and a good snr, listening at high volume is pleasant, everything is there and stays in place without hearing fatigue !!! and on a piece of hip hop, we clearly feel the bass physically... I love it!!!
I think this amp has an exceptional quality / price / pleasure ratio.
Thank you all for your contributions and especially to Toku for his help.
You can go there with your eyes closed!!! €431 right now on hifi express o_O

Good review.

I haven't finished listening, I'll get back to you soon.

Yes I agree, exceptional value.

roog

Forum Donor
Too bad Im broke :D

Yes me too, I'd be inclined to tinker with these clever amps more if I had some disposable income.

I am torn between the a30 and the a20 2022, I really want to keep my DAC because of its EQ capabilities, RME ADI-2 DAC fs, and the idea that you can use the a20 in bridge appeals. Oh well, perhaps in the new year.

My A30 arrived on Saturday. About 2 weeks to Australia from China. It came with the Aussie power plug on the IEC cable. It sure is a funky looking little unit.
Heavier than I expected. I hooked it up to my Sony Bluray player (I am still a CD guy) and immediately knew something wasn't right. The subwoofer setting was
on for 120hz. Turned that off and we are in business. The sound is so fast and clear. It has so little self noise and so much detail without a hint of harshness.. I am
listening on an old set of Jamo Classic 4's in a nearfield situation. I plan on getting some floorstanders when I moved into a new house. My last class D adventure was
several years ago with some TPA3116 boards and really liked them. This is on a whole new level. I flicked through the preset EQs and didn't find much I liked. Maybe
the loudness ones could be useful. Now for the firmware update. Can someone tell me what I would be doing this for and if I can tell if it has already been applied
by hifi express ?

GiBo61

Your Sabaj A30a already has the latest MCU_FW_220928 firmware if you see the SPDIF SENSE option in the settings menu (see the picture below).

According to the Sabaj web site these are the improvements present in the new firmware:

1、Added "SPDIF SENSE" option in the menu. Users can choose the appropriate value according to their own needs. When there is no sound from the optical input, increase this value to match the optical output device with larger clock jitter (eg TV/game console).

2、The SW output is properly mixed with R-ch and L-ch issue.

3、Optimized the volume curve.

4、Added "SUB OFF" option. This can be selected when a powered subwoofer is not connected.

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-28 at 12.53.13.jpeg

ModDIY

Yes me too, I'd be inclined to tinker with these clever amps more if I had some disposable income.

I am torn between the a30 and the a20 2022, I really want to keep my DAC because of its EQ capabilities, RME ADI-2 DAC fs, and the idea that you can use the a20 in bridge appeals. Oh well, perhaps in the new year.

With the RME ADI-2 dac and its capabilities, I would choose the A20a 2022.

roog

Forum Donor
With the RME ADI-2 dac and its capabilities, I would choose the A20a 2022.

Thank you @ModDIY I agree, its just so easy to get drawn in by new product awareness. If the A30a could perform the basic room correction that I apply using the RME, or better still Dirac or similar then that would be interesting. :0)

MCH

Major Contributor
There is one thing though that the a30a can do and, i believe, neither the RME nor the a20h can: low pass and high pass with selectable xover frequency. If you use a sub, it can be interesting to have.

ModDIY

Thank you @ModDIY I agree, its just so easy to get drawn in by new product awareness. If the A30a could perform the basic room correction that I apply using the RME, or better still Dirac or similar then that would be interesting. :0)
Currently I own the Sabaj A20a 2019 and the A30a.

Already the A20a 2019 is already very good with these 2 x MA12070 (except structure and positioning problem of the SMPS which creates a slight hiss with the RCA input and at high volume, silent on XLR), Toku which has the 2 2019 and 2022 versions at already mentioned that the Infineon 2022 version offered better sound.

It's an Infineon too, but a much more powerful model.

Top Bottom