• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

eh! Under normal operation, the A30a is normally recognized by the PC, but when I start the FW update tool and start the update operation, it is no longer recognized when I connect the A30a's USB cable to the PC, right?
eh! , why?  I'm getting more and more confused. I'm seriously thinking about it now!
That is correct, I have filmed a short video of me trying to update the firmware, please see if the procedure looks correct to you.

Edit: For fun I tried my Steam Deck which is a Linux KDE in desktop mode, the Sabaj was automatically recognized without any drivers, I then tried to update the firmware but got an error when trying to connect to the amp in upgrade mode so same issue as in Windows.

Sabaj firmware update: (Please excuse the orientation change, I am using a foldable phone.)

Sabaj normal operation ( You can see the usb error disappears when I turn the amp on)

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
I checked the video footage. However, the video footage of Normal Operation could not be viewed because viewing privileges were not set.

If you proceed with the operation by observing the 5 seconds and 30 seconds according to my update procedure and click the handshake icon, the disconnection display at the bottom left of the PC screen will change to connect. But in your footage it remains disconnected. It seems necessary to investigate the cause of why the connection is not switched.

Attachments

• A30a UPdate steps_2.jpg
    A30a UPdate steps_2.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 20
I checked the video footage. However, the video footage of Normal Operation could not be viewed because viewing privileges were not set.

If you proceed with the operation by observing the 5 seconds and 30 seconds according to my update procedure and click the handshake icon, the disconnection display at the bottom left of the PC screen will change to connect. But in your footage it remains disconnected. It seems necessary to investigate the cause of why the connection is not switched.
I have now fixed the normal operation video. I follow the 5 and 30 second guidelines as you write with no success. I have now spent hours of my own time trying to troubleshoot this and getting pretty frustrated, have now asked Hifi-Express for an exchange.

Toku

Major Contributor
Please try updating the FW again using this file.
This FW file was downloaded from HP. Please try this once to see if the FW update is successful.

I think there is a problem with the new FW update file sent by @peterwen.

If this update tool successfully completes the update, please specify the definition file “IAP_A30a_MM32_1v12_b2.hex” in @peterwen's FW and try updating again.
The FW definition file downloaded from HP is "IAP_A30a_1v12_b1.hex".

Attachments

• SABAJ_A30a MCU_FW.zip
    794.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Please try updating the FW again using this file.
This FW file was downloaded from HP. Please try this once to see if the FW update is successful.

I think there is a problem with the new FW update file sent by @peterwen.

If this update tool successfully completes the update, please specify the definition file “IAP_A30a_MM32_1v12_b2.hex” in @peterwen's FW and try updating again.
The FW definition file downloaded from HP is "IAP_A30a_1v12_b1.hex".
Thank you for your help @Toku, I actually managed to update the firmware by uninstalling all Sabaj drivers and then running the firmware update without any installed drivers, unfortunately the firmware update did not help, which makes me confident that it is a hardware defect.

What the Sabaj looked like without any drivers:

Sabaj dfu.png

Toku

Major Contributor
I understand that the FW update was successful, but the symptoms of the problem were not resolved.
Unfortunately, my knowledge does not allow for further analysis. So please return it and request a new A30a to be shipped.

The USB error was due to missing some files required by the FW file update tool sent by @peterwen.

Have received instructions to send the defective unit to Hifi-Express warehouse in Germany, after which they will send me a new unit. Fingers crossed I will get a working amp now. Thanks to all who commented and @Toku for your support, I will report back when I receive the replacement.

Roland68

Major Contributor

Toku

Major Contributor
What new features does the firmware update have? Does it make sense for A30a owners to install it?
This version is a trial version of the changes we have made for trouble reports to observe their effects. As a result, it had no effect on the troubles that were occurring. The cause seems to be an initial problem with the A30a itself.
Also, this version of the update tool has a problem and does not work properly. Please use the previous version of the update tool.

Roland68

Major Contributor
This version is a trial version of the changes we have made for trouble reports to observe their effects. As a result, it had no effect on the troubles that were occurring. The cause seems to be an initial problem with the A30a itself.
Also, this version of the update tool has a problem and does not work properly. Please use the previous version of the update tool.
It might be good if @peterwen would add this as info/warning in his post.
We know how quick many people are with a new firmware update...:facepalm:

drk0418

Other adjustments under what input are the test results obtained: for example, BASS volume EQ BASS signal frequency

I just tested that everything is normal from 35 to 45 when the subwoofer volume gradually increased and did not decrease
I tested the adjustment when Bluetooth/coaxial /AUX input, EQ is OFF BASS volume is -15db bass signal frequency is 70 BASS signal frequency is 0

I tried to change different conditions but this state did not happen.
I don't want to be a water-boarder without presenting the data, but since comments were made that negated my post, I had to redo the measurements again.
To avoid any dependence on my subwoofer (Yamaha NS-SW300), I used an RCA cable from the SUB OUT of the A30a to an oscilloscope to read the p-p voltage of the waveform.
A 45 Hz sin wave was generated from REW, and the output of REW was set to -10 db when the volume of A30a was 40 db and 0 db when the volume was 30 db. The sound pressure of the main speakers was measured separately with a microphone to confirm that the sound pressure was equal.
The measurement results showed that the p-p voltage of the voltage waveform output from the SUB OUT was different when the A30a volume was set to 40db and 30db.
As other posters have pointed out, the writer included with the test version of the firmware does not work well.
I would like to see a detailed description of which version of the firmware is used and under what conditions the measurements are obtained as claimed.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

GiBo61

I don't want to be a water-boarder without presenting the data, but since comments were made that negated my post, I had to redo the measurements again.
To avoid any dependence on my subwoofer (Yamaha NS-SW300), I used an RCA cable from the SUB OUT of the A30a to an oscilloscope to read the p-p voltage of the waveform.
A 45 Hz sin wave was generated from REW, and the output of REW was set to -10 db when the volume of A30a was 40 db and 0 db when the volume was 30 db. The sound pressure of the main speakers was measured separately with a microphone to confirm that the sound pressure was equal.
The measurement results showed that the p-p voltage of the voltage waveform output from the SUB OUT was different when the A30a volume was set to 40db and 30db.
As other posters have pointed out, the writer included with the test version of the firmware does not work well.
I would like to see a detailed description of which version of the firmware is used and under what conditions the measurements are obtained as claimed.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
I'm no expert and I guess that the DeepL.com translation of your post is not always clear, so I do not fully understand what you did and what are your conclusions.
However I guess that the the presumed lack of linearity between the SUB OUT and the main speakers at different volume knob positions of the Sabaj A30a should be addressed without involving instrumental measurements of the SPL of both the subwoofer AND/OR the main speakers (there are many variants involved like room mode, lack of linearity of the microphone, the fact that the frequency response of each speaker changes with volume so is not garanteed that if you double the power provided by the amp to the speaker you get 3 db more of SPL at your frequency of choice, etc). If I understend correctely @drk0418 you measured directly the output of the SUB OUT with an oscilloscope but then you measured the SPL in the room from the main speakers connected to the Sabaj A30a.

Again, I'm no expert, but I guess that would be more convincing a test in which one can send a white noise signal to one of the digital input of the Sabaj (either coax or optical) and then directely measure with the proper instrument the level of the output at the SUB OUT connector (in terms of mV) and the Watts (or fraction of them) at main speaker connectors at different volume knob positions (let say 20, 30, 40, 50, 60) without connecting any speaker. After plotting the data obtained it shoud be possible to determine the linearity (or the lack of thereof) between the two outputs.
Does it make any sense?

drk0418

I'm no expert and I guess that the DeepL.com translation of your post is not always clear, so I do not fully understand what you did and what are your conclusions.
However I guess that the the presumed lack of linearity between the SUB OUT and the main speakers at different volume knob positions of the Sabaj A30a should be addressed without involving instrumental measurements of the SPL of both the subwoofer AND/OR the main speakers (there are many variants involved like room mode, lack of linearity of the microphone, the fact that the frequency response of each speaker changes with volume so is not garanteed that if you double the power provided by the amp to the speaker you get 3 db more of SPL at your frequency of choice, etc). If I understend correctely @drk0418 you measured directly the output of the SUB OUT with an oscilloscope but then you measured the SPL in the room from the main speakers connected to the Sabaj A30a.

Again, I'm no expert, but I guess that would be more convincing a test in which one can send a white noise signal to one of the digital input of the Sabaj (either coax or optical) and then directely measure with the proper instrument the level of the output at the SUB OUT connector (in terms of mV) and the Watts (or fraction of them) at main speaker connectors at different volume knob positions (let say 20, 30, 40, 50, 60) without connecting any speaker. After plotting the data obtained it shoud be possible to determine the linearity (or the lack of thereof) between the two outputs.
Does it make any sense?

I understand what you're saying. Due to the different efficiencies of the main speaker and the subwoofer, perfect linearity may not be achieved. However, by adjusting the signal volume (internal volume) generated by REW and the output volume of the A30a, the output sound pressure from the main speaker will perfectly match in the frequency range of 100Hz to 20000Hz.
After confirming this, if you generate a 45Hz sine wave signal using REW and measure the output voltage waveform from the SUB OUT at different volume positions of the A30a (adjusting the internal volume accordingly from REW), then I believe the peak-to-peak voltage should match.

Maciekw

I understand what you're saying. Due to the different efficiencies of the main speaker and the subwoofer, perfect linearity may not be achieved. However, by adjusting the signal volume (internal volume) generated by REW and the output volume of the A30a, the output sound pressure from the main speaker will perfectly match in the frequency range of 100Hz to 20000Hz.
After confirming this, if you generate a 45Hz sine wave signal using REW and measure the output voltage waveform from the SUB OUT at different volume positions of the A30a (adjusting the internal volume accordingly from REW), then I believe the peak-to-peak voltage should match.
The method of measuring and comparing sound pressure may be wrong in this case, since many modern subwoofers have built-in DSP circuits that secure optimal speaker conditions and apply dynamic compression in the lowest frequencies depending on the level of the input signal.

drk0418

The method of measuring and comparing sound pressure may be wrong in this case, since many modern subwoofers have built-in DSP circuits that secure optimal speaker conditions and apply dynamic compression in the lowest frequencies depending on the level of the input signal.
I understand what you're saying. However, to exclude the effects of subwoofer efficiency and dynamic compression processing, I measured the voltage signal output from the A30a's SUB OUT using an oscilloscope. In this case, I believe the input as seen from the subwoofer should be at least equal.

Top Bottom