• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20h Balanced Headphone Amplifier Owner's Thread

carlcamper

http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/productshow.asp?id=86

Since @amirm hasn't reviewed this yet (he's only reviewed the A10h so far), I'd like to open an owner's thread for the Sabaj A20h. It cost me around $200 USD.

For me, this is one of the best values in the Balanced Headphone Amplifier space, as it has relay volume control for perfect channel matching, a remote control, excellent noise floor in SE and Balanced, 3 gain stages, and fully balanced Input and Output for a very reasonable price. The only downside for me is the inputs are located at the back, but I mitigate this by running Adapter cables to the front (one for TRS to 3.5mm, and another for XLR to 2.5mm balanced)

I personally pair it with the Topping D10 Balanced DAC, for a very reasonable ~$330 USD in total

For others out there, what are your thoughts?

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-01 at 12.46.55 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
carlcamper

carlcamper

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks for the link, good review! By the way, what DAC are you using with it?
I used to couple it with a Pecanpi (XLR) but currently have an Aune X8 which I bought on sale, single ended to A20h. Both SE/BAL inputs have worked fine. SE might be more susceptible to laptop/grounding noise though, but only noticed that with the most sensitive of IEMs. And my Topping A90 had that issue too..

OP
carlcamper

carlcamper

@Veri I recently discovered my unit in balanced mode has very slight crosstalk in High Gain, meaning when I play a LEFT and RIGHT tone in my IEMs (ex. the Windows Playback Test), I can hear it bleed in the other side . Can you confirm it in your unit as well? (I tried it in my Gustard H16 in balanced mode, and confirmed it has no crosstalk/bleed, but the unbalanced mode has noticeable hiss even in Low Gain for my unbalanced IEMs.)

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
@Veri I recently discovered my unit in balanced mode has very slight crosstalk in High Gain, meaning when I play a LEFT and RIGHT tone in my IEMs (ex. the Windows Playback Test), I can hear it bleed in the other side . Can you confirm it in your unit as well? (I tried it in my Gustard H16 in balanced mode, and confirmed it has no crosstalk/bleed, but the unbalanced mode has noticeable hiss even in Low Gain for my unbalanced IEMs.)
Just tested, no crosstalk issue here. This is using dynamic sennheiser headphones though. Can I ask why you are using IEMs with the Sabaj in high gain? I don't need remotely as much power using more insensitive full-size headphones so a bit confused by that.

OP
carlcamper

carlcamper

It's more of wanting to stay on a single gain setting when I shift from my IEMs to my other headphones. Anyway, thanks for confirming its not an issue on headphones (I'm assuming its a high impedance one), If you have any low impedance headphones/IEMs, it might manifest.

OP
carlcamper

carlcamper

Just got word from Sabaj this is normal especially on very sensitive IEMs and headphones.

reasons

Seems that new versions of all there amps/dacs are releasing. Might want to wait on this one.

Top Bottom