• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20d - Big problems with the setup

Fanboi

Hello all,

Today I received my new DAC/Amp, the Sabaj A20d. However, in the functional test, there is now a problem. MQA streams are not recognized as such. The device is connected via a USB-A to USB-C 3.0 cable from the PC to the DAC. I use the Tidal Desktop-app.

Troubleshooting

• XMOS_USBAudio_v5.0.0_2020-12-18_setup.exe Driverpackage installed
  • Reboot from PC
  • Check: The driver was successfully integrated. Streams via Spotify/Tidal/Systemsounds can be played via the Sabaj. The Sabaj is correctly integrated in the device manager and the sound settings. MQA playback is only shown as PCM in the Sabaj display.
  • Driver deinstalled, reboot
  • Driver installed, reboot
  • Check: MQA playback is still only as PCM in the display of the Sabaj
  • restart of the PC, DAC was de-energized
  • research on the Internet could not reveal any problems of other users
  • a firmware update is not possible in the absence of a firmware package. This is also not possible via the driver. The Sabaj currently has the software version 1.0

Devicesetting in the DAC
  1. Imput: USB Audio
  2. Output HPA
  3. PCM Filter was set as „Fast Linear“
  4. Other position options. All of them have been tested with regard to the MQA problem.
  5. Slow Linear
  6. Fast Minimum
  7. Slow Minimum
  8. Apodizing
  9. Fast Hybrid
  10. Brickwall
  11. DSD Filter
  12. Default is 47k cutoff. 50k, 60k, 70k are still available. I have tested everything here
  13. HPA Gain, Standard is here “High”
  14. SPDIF Mode, Normal and Prozessor. Was set on Prozessor (but is use USB anyway)
  15. Pre Mode, defaultvalue Volume Variable
  16. FN Key for, defaultvalue Switch Line / HPA
  17. DPLL, ist set on the default of 5
  18. Dimmer, Brightness, Reset as last points, do not play any role at all for my problem.
  • I also increased the sampling rate in the system settings of the PC to 32Bit, 384000 Hz. I thought maybe the system is limiting.
  • everything brought no solution!!! I have reset the settings, except input and output source in the DAC back to original state. System reset in the DAC and manual reset in the PC.
If someone can give me helpful tips, I would be very grateful! Maybe someone of you already had a similar problem.

Even if it does not matter, here are the specs of the other sound devices in the system: Onboardsoundkart FX Surpreme I have disabled in the BIOS. The Soundblaster AE-7 is installed, the Nubert SP-200 with its own DAC (internal) and a Beyerdynamic MMX300 headset. Everything works flawlessly. My Operating System is Win11. Note: I’ve tested MQA on the Sabaj and it still works. MQA was now displayed with the purple Dot. In combination with my PC, I have checked it with a new USB Cable. In addition, I checked MQA with a TOSLINK Cable from the internal Soundcard and the Soundblaster. Without Success. Sound over PCM is on the headphones but without MQA decoding.

I still have a Windows 10 PC at home, with which I have also carried out the installation. The result was the same. I also installed the drivers from the SMSL M500 MK3 as a test. This DAC should be technically identical. This has not changed the result. I’ve no Conflicts in the Windows 10/11 Devicemanager. Here’s anything fine.

Package for Sabaj A20d is name as “XMOS_USBAudio_v5.0.0_2020-12-18_setup.exe”
The SMSL Installer is called “XMOS_USBAudio_v5.50.0_2022-09-08_setup.exe”

Dear thanks for reading, up to this line :D

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Make sure player volume is max without any equalizing or MQA will disable. Windows volume won't affect it, but the player settings will.

OP
F

Fanboi

Good Morning,
thank you for your Tips. The Problem can be solved in the Setting in Tidal-Desktop. Everythink is fine.
:cool::rolleyes::facepalm:

Ed marks

Having the same issue. Audio quality set to max in Tidal App. While streaming a Tidal MQA indentified song, PCM is displayed on Sabaj A20d 2023. I tried a few different sampling rate, and bit depth in Window 10 advance tab without success. PCM is always displayed on Sabaj. Laptop volume is at maximum. How was this fixed?

Solved - Use Exclusive Mode and PassThroigh MQA radio buttons turned on in Tidal Application.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Having the same issue. Audio quality set to max in Tidal App. While streaming a Tidal MQA indentified song, PCM is displayed on Sabaj A20d 2023. I tried a few different sampling rate, and bit depth in Window 10 advance tab without success. PCM is always displayed on Sabaj. Laptop volume is at maximum. How was this fixed?

Solved - Use Exclusive Mode and PassThroigh MQA radio buttons turned on in Tidal Application.
Did you follow the guide @peterwen posted? If you did, the windows sample rate setting should be irrelevant because the Total app controls all of that.

Ed marks

Thanks. Yes I read the post after I tried playing with the tidal setting.

Top Bottom