• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20d 2022 Version Owners Feedback

OP
B

BHazard

Most likely your Foobar is doing DoP now ... not native DSD. Your DAC is a 768K PCM DAC(up to 256DoP only) so cannot do 512DoP (needs a 1.4Mhz DAC).

If you only have the foo_input_sacd plugin installed/setup for your Foobar it only works in DoP mode. Works great for most people w/ WASAPI and no need to mess with any ASIO drivers. To play DSD512 contents (99.9% contents out there are just test clips I believe ... lol) just set up the DSD processor to play DSD512/1024 as DSD256/SDM type D and you are done.
To do native DSD you need to setup the dsd_transcoder plugin as well and have ASIO drivers working as well for the DAC. Then it should work with your A20d in native DSD512 mode. IMHO not necessary for most people.

See https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.co...-part-3-new-experimental-sacd-plugin-v-0-9-x/
Yep, needed dsd_transcoder to send Native DSD512. Working now. Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20220704_233435.jpg
    20220704_233435.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 205

peterwen

Audio Company
A20d driver supports ASIO, you can use music playback software, output through ASIO, this can bypass the system's windows direct sound, so that the sampling frequency of the music itself can be directly output, which is the native output.

peterwen

Audio Company
About the problem of playing dsd 512, can be download the plugin of foorbar.

To support DSD256 and above, foobar must use another set of plug-ins. The original foo_dsd_asio does not support high bit rates.

Open this URL, which is the most original source of the sacd plugin, which can be understood as the official website of the foobar sacd plugin:

If it's a fresh install of foobar, you only need to download two things:

foo_out_asio+dsd

foo_input_sacd

Install foobar, then install these two plugins, restart foobar, and enter the settings

In the output in the settings, select the output device: ASIO+DSD: your device name

Then click OK and that's it. No other additional settings are required. Many introductions say that DSD needs to open the Processor. In fact, this is a plug-in for converting the code rate, and there is no need to open this plug-in.

foo_out_asio+dsd

The previous version 0.11 of this plug-in was not stable and was prone to flashbacks and crashes. Version 0.12, which was only updated yesterday, solved this problem. I listened to it all night, and there was no flashback and crash.

Foobar can now play the DSD 512 bit rate. In fact, the bit rate above DSD 256 brings enough details, very rich details, which make you feel like you are on the scene. You can even hear the player's slight breathing, the sound of pressing the piano pedal hard, and the hollow sound of the hammer hitting the strings. Of course, your DAC has to be good enough with minimal distortion and maximum dynamic range to hear it all.

peterwen

Audio Company
Didn't Amir receive a review unit a week ago?
I hope to read a good review soon.

This is the tracking information of the package. Amir may be updated soon

OP
B

BHazard

I've had the a20d 2022 a little over a month now, and I can honestly say it's my favorite DAC that I've ever owned.

I've had LH Labs, Topping, Gustard, and now Sabaj DACs... and the a20d has been the best performing, best featured, and lowest priced. Even the asthetics are better, from the color screen and large text, to the silver case with front handles. It's the total package considering it has an Amp built in too.

@peterwen if a Parametric EQ could be built/programmed into the next Sabaj DAC/Amp hardware, I could consolidate my headphone stack from 3 devices to 1! I would love for that to be available.

JSmith

Master Contributor
a20d 2022 measurements c/o Prof. @WolfX-700;

DAC;

UNBALDashboard.jpg

BALDashboard-1024x560.jpg

Amp;

UNBALDashboard-1-1024x560.jpg

BALDashboard-1-1024x560.jpg

JSmith

peterwen

Audio Company
This is some of the parameters of the amp we measured, which is very different from the L7 result.

QQ图片20220707175520.png

His numbers here are a bit odd.
2.png

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is some of the parameters of the amp we measured, which is very different from the L7 result.

View attachment 216891

His numbers here are a bit odd.
View attachment 216892

The 8.000ohm setting you are referring to is the standard setting for APx500 software and has no effect on SINAD.

After I added a USB isolator between the A20d-2022 and the measured PC, added a USB isolator between the APx555 and the measured PC, and twisted the AP's power cord and the DUT's power cord, the single-ended HP I measured a SINAD of 118 (still not 120). But there is still a huge PSN in the case of 4.4 interface. The connection topology I tested here has been relatively consistent, including the slightly slight PSN of the single-ended measurement of Topping's A90D before, and I did not change the wiring topology independently.

Another clear case is that in the tests of the DAC project, the PSN performed well even without the changed wiring topology. So it's hard for me to understand why the measurement of the HP interface is wrong with the same topology.

audiofun

So this is a typical grounding issue that cause psn leaking to the hp amp.
l7's sabaj a10h measurement has the same issue while amir's is fine:

Reviewers have different setups, so the results are different.
It's important to always have that in mind when reading reviews from different reviewers.

The PSN only happens when you measure it with a circuit that has a different ground.
I can easily reproduce such issue with any headphone amplifier by intentionally introducing a ground loop.
The noise will not be there when you listen through headphone, as you do not ground your headphone while listening.

Last edited:

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So this is a typical grounding issue that cause psn leaking to the hp amp.
l7's sabaj a10h measurement has the same issue while amir's is fine:

Reviewers have different setups, so the results are different.
It's important to always have that in mind when reading reviews from different reviewers.

The PSN only happens when you measure it with a circuit that has a different ground.
I can easily reproduce such issue with any headphone amplifier by intentionally introducing a ground loop.
The noise will not be there when you listen through headphone, as you do not ground your headphone while listening.
There seems to be some truth to what you said about the ground loop. But I must stress again: in the A20d-2022 measurement, there is no PSN in the single-ended DAC output section. So I don't see any obvious problem with my measurement topology. In the measurement of A10h, I remember that the power supply of A10h I received does not have a ground terminal. I remember Sabaj's feedback at the time that it required a separate connection between the chassis and the AP's ground terminal. I didn't accept this (since the chassis of the A10h itself is not designed with a ground terminal).

Of course, I admit that the earth ring interference itself is indeed a very troublesome thing. I can only measure using a consistent (most other devices I've tested with no issues with) wiring topology.

audiofun

> there is no PSN in the single-ended DAC output section.

It may because circuit layout, power supply design, output impedance, probe wiring, and many other things that cause those differences.

FYI, I can easily make their competitor's product having exactly the same PS noise and can easily make the noise go away,
but I'd never say it's their competitor's product design flaw.

> I can only measure using a consistent (most other devices I've tested with no issues with) wiring topology.

The thing I care about here is, does this noise exist when user is using the device the INTENDED way?
That is, does your measurement data reflects what the device is sending to user's headphones?

I assume not, as Amir's test showed in his previous review that such noise only happens when there's a grounding mismatch to the downstream measurement device.

If the user intends to use the HP outs as line outs and connect it to downstream circuits, such as an amplifier,
your measurement gives a very persuasive argument that they shouldn't do so --- "You are holding it wrong, dude!"

If the user is simply driving the headphones using the hp outs,
then such noise is simply not there. No one grounds his/her headphones.

Chilli

Mine has no output and PROT displaying for Hz after a few hours...

I assume this is protection mode? I was using USB input and XLR out fixed level into preamp. If anyone knows quick fix let me know! Manual doesn't mention error codes as far as I can tell.
Did you get this figured out in the end?

PH14

I'm looking into this, ticks every box I need. However, I read in this thread it may not be having a real balanced output for the HP. @peterwen can you clear this up? Thanks

jhenderson0107

I'm looking into this, ticks every box I need. However, I read in this thread it may not be having a real balanced output for the HP. @peterwen can you clear this up? Thanks
The Sabaj-published material seems inconsistent:

The product web page seems to state that the 4.4mm plug provides a balanced output signal...

1657482237039.png

yet the manual states that the headphone amp is single-ended.
1657482280816.png

I suspect the data sheet is correct and that both headphone outputs are single-ended.

Top Bottom