• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20d 2022 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 38 13.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 241 85.2%

• Total voters

Lukino

Well, the Weiss DAC may look a bit nicer, have better material and costumer support. But it is hardly imaginable that it measures significantly better, if at all. And it costs more than 20 times as much as this one. If this is worth the design and support? I doubt the Sabaj will break 20 times in the lifetime of the Weiss.

Furthermore, the car analogy never quite works for audio. A Ferrari may cost 10-20 times as much as a Fiat, but looks nicer, drives faster and is technologically more advanced in almost every aspect. Here it is more like you get the Weiss DAC in a Porsche body but with the same beetle motor (or you get the Sabaj in a beetle body with a Porsche motor).
The converter itself in the Weiss DAC is outdated, but the DSP tuning by Mr. Weiss has to be paid for. One website that evaluated it as a benefit did not consider it. I personally don't like many elements of freedom either. Prefer something like Sabaj...:)

raif71

Major Contributor
I'm a big fan of IP protection, but if there is no IP or expired IP related to the circuit, then there's not much you can say about it. There is still a lot in terms of choices for components, laying out the PCB, quality control, etc. Would be good to hear what @JohnYang1997 has to add to this story. I would much rather buy from the IP innovator if the IP is truly being "stolen."

Variants of this classic 1966 topology is reportedly still used today.

McIntosh continues to use a similar overall circuit for the MC275, although some would argue that the vacuum tubes of the 60s and 70s were higher quality than the ones today if you had a time machine (with the ones today being better than the 50-60 year old tubes)
Maybe the use of a flux capacitor in a dac/amp will transport one back to the original recording be it in a studio or live :D

gvl

Major Contributor
At least 10-band parametric EQ with fully customizable values. 5 isn’t enough for me. I actually wouldn’t mind paying more as an investment, but that is the requirement that RME has not met yet in my books.

Monoprice had a DAC/amp with 10 PEQ bands, no longer being made.

BossBunos

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Sabaj A20d 2022 balanced stereo DAC and headphone amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $420.
View attachment 219262
The new revision is very attractive and stylish. It belies its low cost. I like the colorful display and clear indicators. Headphone amplification is included and is output in both 1/4 and 4.4 mm. Note that the latter is not balanced and is simply there for compatibility (which I appreciated).

Back panel is what you expect:
View attachment 219263

A remote control is also provided. I like using the unit and my only wish was for acceleration support in volume control. Otherwise it takes a bit too long to go from one extreme to another.

Sabaj A20d 2022 DAC Measurements
Performance is exceptional using both balanced and unbalanced output even after bringing the levels down to nominal:
View attachment 219264

View attachment 219265

It lands the A20d comfortably in our top 20 best DACs:
View attachment 219266

Dynamic range goes with that:
View attachment 219267

Performance keeps improving up to maximum output level:
View attachment 219268

Multitone performance is exceptional:
View attachment 219269

Linearity is perfect:
View attachment 219270

IMD is excellent as well although we see a hint of famous ESS DAC signature:
View attachment 219271

Jitter is exemplary with all three inputs:
View attachment 219272
View attachment 219273

Note that I have refined this test to have less noise. So be careful in comparing it to past reviews although difference is not large.

Filter performance is the usual:
View attachment 219274

Using the default Fast Linear, THD+N performance is superb across full audible band:
View attachment 219275

Sabaj A20d 2022 Headphone Amplifier
I was very pleased to see so much output in this combo:
View attachment 219276

View attachment 219277

With no clipping, what you hear is the headphone distortion and not the amp (at 32 ohm and higher). This is plenty of power to drive 95% of the headphones out there to very loud levels.

50 mv output is very good and above average:
View attachment 219278

View attachment 219279

So even sensitive IEMs should be good to go.

As noted, the amp only clips at impedances below 32 ohm. Performance otherwise is excellent:

View attachment 219280

Sabaj A20d 2022 Headphone Listening Tests
I started with my everyday Dan Clark Stealth and was so pleased to see the A20d drive it with ease. Only at maximum volume did I hear some crackling but that was above comfort already. The sound was dynamic, detailed and just a delight. I saw no need to test with headphones with less drive requirement than the Stealth. You have my promise that it will blow your socks off! :)

Conclusions
Sabaj A20d 2022: a formula driven to perfection. Don't know what else to say. In every test and every angle, performance is incredibly good -- often at state of the art. Combine that with unique good looks and you have an easy winner.

It is my absolute pleasure to recommend the Sabaj A20d 2022 revision.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
According to the manufacturers info the 1/4 is not balanced and the 4.4 is.
Link

Carlo2AC

It is hard to recommend it above its younger sibling

MQA does not justify the premium.,

the slightly, better IMD.. 50mV noise.. all inaudible,
the differences are so small that it is just not worth the 120 U$ more, less power too.. even though power is not an issue seeing as it drives the Stealth

djgras

Hi. Perhaps you could help me:
- can I use it as a preamp with active speakers (Dynaudio Focus 110A) through RCA?
- How does it compare with the Topping equivalent? Topping A90 discrete? DX5 ? EX5 ? DX7 Pro ?
- I currently have a SOtM SDP1000 DAC/preamp: should I upgrade and why or have these devices not reached the same audio quality level yet?
Thanks and best regards
Hi. Any thoughts?

oscar_dziki

This is awesome. I am planning to buy DC Stealths in coming months, and I was looking for one-brick solution to drive them. Guess I'm not looking anymore :)

oscar_dziki

It is hard to recommend it above its younger sibling

MQA does not justify the premium.,

the slightly, better IMD.. 50mV noise.. all inaudible,
the differences are so small that it is just not worth the 120 U$ more, less power too.. even though power is not an issue seeing as it drives the Stealth
It has a lesser chip - Q2M instead of pro and 5 db less of SNR, and from what I understand it has no headroom paired with sth. like DC Stealth

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ehm…I beg to differ. Weiss Engineering products are superbly built and outstandingly designed. Yes, true, there is a hint of Weiss in it. There is a hint of Bentley in the Genesis car design too. However I wonder if Sabaj does have the same truly perfect support of their products like the one offered by Mr.Weiss, from my personal experience.
Nothing that you said above contradicts the facts contained in my earlier post—that the Sabaj looks similar to a Weiss DAC and that it is 1/10th the price of a Weiss DAC.

It might even be 1/20th the price of a Weiss DAC.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nothing that you said above contradicts the facts contained in my earlier post—that the Sabaj looks similar to a Weiss DAC and that it is 1/10th the price of a Weiss DAC.

It might even be 1/20th the price of a Weiss DAC.
Yes…I tried to convey a sense of wonder in my earlier post for a perfectly designed and implemented DAC/HP amplifier for $ 430…and my absolute admiration for Weiss Engineering products…I am not surprised that a large part of WE production is dedicated to the professional audio and video market, where daily heavy use of the device might justify the much larger price…as you might be able to tell I am somewhat ambivalent, and my Weiss MAN-301 has a UI of very high quality, an essential component for a Music Server with > 65,000 music files…

Labjr

Major Contributor
Nice review! Good specs! However, some of these manufacturers need help with asthetics.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to the manufacturers info the 1/4 is not balanced and the 4.4 is.
Link

The XLR output on the back is balanced, the 4.4mm headphone output on the front is just for convenience and is not. Sabaj would quote separate power outputs for 6.35mm and 4.4mm if the later was balanced.

EXIF68

I grew up in a time when the 'reference' class (Krell, Mark LEvinson, Burmester) were unaffordable for even a middle class chap. It's wonderful to see how technology and engineering has made these so affordable. Top marks to Sabaj. All we need now is an affordable power amp in the 100w->8Ohm class. Endgame.
This Amp is on the horizon:
Take a look to this new system here.

BossBunos

The XLR output on the back is balanced, the 4.4mm headphone output on the front is just for convenience and is not. Sabaj would quote separate power outputs for 6.35mm and 4.4mm if the later was balanced.
Screenshot_20220721-182421__01.jpg

You suggest this is incorrect?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 219518
You suggest this is incorrect?

Yes, the picture shows a 'balanced' connector, i.e. a 5 pole 4.4mm 'pentacon' plug. But this is just for convenience for those like myself who have headphones/IEMs with this connector (my Sennheiser HD 660s come with such a cable).

If you look further down the page, you will see that no distinction is made between power output for the different connections...

1658421284219.png

Contrast this with the specs for an HP amp with a truly balanced output like my Topping A50s...

1658421381225.png

(table truncated as it's too big!)
1658421437549.png

My Topping EX5 DAC/Amp is similar to the Sabaj A20d in that it has a balanced headphone connection (XLR in this case) connected to a single ended amplifier inside the unit (so the power output is identical to the 6.35mm (1/4") connection)

Attachments

• 1658421409274.png
    1658421409274.png
    320.8 KB · Views: 53

shrimp_dude

Hi. Any thoughts?
- can I use it as a preamp with active speakers (Dynaudio Focus 110A) through RCA?
Yes
- How does it compare with the Topping equivalent? Topping A90 discrete? DX5 ? EX5 ? DX7 Pro ?
Similar
- I currently have a SOtM SDP1000 DAC/preamp: should I upgrade and why or have these devices not reached the same audio quality level yet?
Probably as good or better. Most likely better.

BossBunos

Yes, the picture shows a 'balanced' connector, i.e. a 5 pole 4.4mm 'pentacon' plug. But this is just for convenience for those like myself who have headphones/IEMs with this connector (my Sennheiser HD 660s come with such a cable).

If you look further down the page, you will see that no distinction is made between power output for the different connections...

View attachment 219520

Contrast this with the specs for an HP amp with a truly balanced output like my Topping A50s...

View attachment 219521
(table truncated as it's too big!)
View attachment 219523

My Topping EX5 DAC/Amp is similar to the Sabaj A20d in that it has a balanced headphone connection (XLR in this case) connected to a single ended amplifier inside the unit (so the power output is identical to the 6.35mm (1/4") connection)
Thanks, I get it. Pretty misleading picture imo...

Top Bottom