• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20A 2022 and SMSL A300 Impressions

Mutagen

Both of these class D amps have launched recently, based on the same MA5532MS chip. I haven't seen any other amps based on this chip yet.

I have a couple of the Sabaj units on order, but I'm eager to hear other perspectives on the amps and the chip.

Any knowledge out there? I will of course post my impressions asap.

OP
M

Mutagen

Ok - my a20a 2022 arrived today from China. Shipping to NC (USA) took 16 days. The package arrived in good shape with good external and internal packaging. The parcel was surprisingly heavy, which was exciting.

Build quality is definitely a step up vs some smaller/cheaper Aiyimas I've been messing with lately. Well, at least fit and finish - I can't comment on the internals.

Binding posts were solid and well spaced, easy to work with even with my big fingers. The small switches on the back that toggle modes are pretty petite, but i assume they won't get much action. Volume knob is good, smooth, seems reasonably precise.

I'm running it right now on my "test bench" (aka in the garage) before I move it inside. I'm connected to some Snell K/IIs I keep down here for just such an occasion.

Initial impressions are great. No noise that I can hear (disclaimer: I'm in my early 50s). It's driving these speakers with plenty of volume, and I haven't tried to really push it yet. At about 30 min of steady medium-high volume it's cool to the touch.

I'm running in bluetooth right now, just because I don't want to haul too much stuff down here tonight. Connecting was easy/normal w my Samsung phone. Unfortunately this phone doesn't do Aptx HD, so I can't test that.

So, I'm very happy so far! I'd love to know how this measures. Or maybe not, 'cause I'll be slightly sadder if it bombs. ;)

Picture of the setup attached. Hardly an acoustic paradise down here, but at least the Snells make everything sound fun.

I remain amazed at what you can get now for under $200.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 16568040729536216414513246491465.jpg
    16568040729536216414513246491465.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 1,060

sthaus

How is your experience so far with A20a 2022 after nearly 2 weeks. I just plan to order 2 of them for BTL setup and A20d 2022 for driving my floor speakers. Thanks

OP
M

Mutagen

So far I am happy. I just received my 2nd one, along with a Sabaj a10d 2022 version DAC. I do want to try these out in BTL mode, just haven't had a chance yet. I use these daily, no issues so far and the performance is great. So far I've driven some Triangle bookshelves, some KLH floor standers, and some Snells. Plenty of volume with just one running, so I expect the BTL adventure will be joyously excessive. My 'class D meh, only by old heavy amps' friend is becoming a convert, lol.

OP
M

Mutagen

Just a few more comments on use case and setup - as you know, these are integrated amps (because bluetooth, a volume knob, plus a couple of inputs), but they are pretty minimal as far as real integration goes. For my case, they are what I want (I put a small WIIM streamer at each location and control use via an app), but they don't really do multiple inputs and switching/controlling in a materially useful way (specifically, you get one zone only, and limited inputs). Bluetooth functionality is as expected (so, no issues w/ Android, anyway).

sthaus

Yeah .. they should built an integrated product has Ethernet port for dac-combo or amp. Usb even C is really something in old way .. I have heard A20a 22 has strong bass but not sure how strong .. there is no tone control on amp .. I just wonder how it sound .. !!

creed

How is your experience so far with A20a 2022 after nearly 2 weeks. I just plan to order 2 of them for BTL setup and A20d 2022 for driving my floor speakers. Thanks
that sounds nice, if its in BTL mode does the volume control being bypassed? I'll assumed if its in BTL mode you'd likely want some other in the chain (like a preamp) for volume adjustment, now we've too many volume knobs :)

Zek

Major Contributor
What's a BTL mode?

Adis

Oh?
Thanks, Zek! :)

Reactions: Zek

catbb67

Old thread but just saw this. I have two of this thing and do bridge mode. They sound fine. Problem I have is the two units don't give me the same gain. Familiar music obviously sounded louder on one side. I tested with mono sound and measure sound levels. One is louder than the other at full volume. I have to dial back one to get the levels balanced. Quality control problem. Unfortunately I can't find any measurement data to see the objective performance.

sthaus

Old thread but just saw this. I have two of this thing and do bridge mode. They sound fine. Problem I have is the two units don't give me the same gain. Familiar music obviously sounded louder on one side. I tested with mono sound and measure sound levels. One is louder than the other at full volume. I have to dial back one to get the levels balanced. Quality control problem. Unfortunately I can't find any measurement data to see the objective performance.
Definitely QC problem, I got pair of them and running at Mono mode. I have to adjust the knob to balance the sound!
My concern is the sound quality, it does provide bass but lack of clarity or dynamic, even worser than my stereo setup.

Top Bottom