• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A10h Review (Headphone Amplifier)

roog

Forum Donor
Mine arrived today and is playing into my Sony headphones (24 ohms imp.) as I type.
It is tiny!
I like the case and facia build quality, the numerical attenuation display is helpful but the volume knob is a bit close to the headphone socket/plug. A less shiny volume knob would look better but that is really me being fussy. The in-line PSU is in my view better than a wallwart and mine doesn't make any noise.
It has been on for a few hours and runs very slightly warm to the touch, I have not experienced any switch on or selection thumps.
I'll give it a go as a pre later on today or tomorrow.
Thankfully the blue display is not particularly bright and can be dimmed further.
The remote control works well with the unit in the hifi rack and me seated two and a half metres away, the unit clicks away as you dab the volume buttons, the 'feedback' is actually quite helpful. Other useful functions, if using it as a preamp are 'mute' and unit 'on/off' both from the remote.

Edit: I tried it as a pre amp and found it to work very well between my ADI-2 DAC and Naim power amp. I had no ground loop issues that i could detect.

Last edited:

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Just ordered it and a new pair of Philips X2HR.Let's see how it goes. I am a bit concerned about the ground issue though how should i test for this with a voltmeter?

gcompari

Is it possible to view a plot about "crosstalk vs. frequency" @ 32Ω / 2V /12Hz-24kHz?
It would be interesting to view a plot of a 10kHz square wave @ 32Ω||0,5uF / 2V out.
Thanks,
G.C.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
For those who directly connect DAC to stereo amp (to speakers) and use DAC to control volume, you can try using a10h as preamp. It might improve your music enjoyments.

Prior, I either used Node2i or my Gustard x16 to control volume, with my DAC directly connect to stereo amp.

Using a10h as preamp (Node2i and X16 both use max volume), it seems I get better 3d feels playing the my usual electronica songs.

My chain is now Node2i to X16 to a10h to amp. Amp to speakers and subs (using RCA pass through from amp). Amp is Parasound A21. Subs are Paradigm Seismic 110.

Last edited:

Zim

Forum Donor
Just got my A10H today.. Is anyone else finding the volume control not actually corresponding to the amount of dB reduction? Like -20dB on the A10H is significantly louder compared to when I set my volume to -20dB digitally within my computer.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Just got my A10H today.. Is anyone else finding the volume control not actually corresponding to the amount of dB reduction? Like -20dB on the A10H is significantly louder compared to when I set my volume to -20dB digitally within my computer.
You would first have to post your configuration before a statement is possible. But I would be surprised if it were only approximately the same.
Are both volume controls logarithmic?

roog

Forum Donor
Interesting point, I have noticed that the volume action doesn't seem very log like.
I have also wondered if it plays at the same level each time I switch it on. I have not carried out any objective checks, but sometimes -50dB seems like my normal listening level and at other times -30db seems ok. It might just be that after listening for a while at quite loud levels it seems normal?

Perhaps I should check properly!

Otherwise and putting these real or imagined quirks aside, I find it a really good preamp. The clicking relays actually helping to confirm the remote signal is getting through as I find my RME ADI-2 fs DAC volume response to the remote control quite poor in this respect. I would prefer an amber display though, the blue colour is hard for me to see when seated at a distance. I may temporarily take my A10h out of service to see if this modification is easy enough to perform!

Last edited:

Zim

Forum Donor
You would first have to post your configuration before a statement is possible. But I would be surprised if it were only approximately the same.
Are both volume controls logarithmic?
My A10H at -20dB, Gain H1, EQ at 0dB pre-amp gain, is significantly louder than A10H at 0dB, Gain H1, EQ at -20dB pre-amp gain.

Considering that both changes are in the same unit (dB), I don't think it matters whether the volume controls are logarithmic? Or I could be wrong.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Interesting point, I have noticed that the volume action doesn't seem very log like.
I have also wondered if it plays at the same level each time I switch it on. I have not carried out any objective checks, but sometimes -50dB seems like my normal listening level and at other times -30db seems ok. It might just be that after listening for a while at quite loud levels it seems normal?

Perhaps I should check properly!
The volume control is relay-based, which means that when the volume is displayed, there is always the same resistance value in the signal path.
But you can just measure it. You play a 1kHz sine signal and measure the AC output voltage at the headphone output.

roog

Forum Donor
Quite so, @Roland68, and I agree it should be just as you describe, it is just my subjective impression which I don't get from a similar dB display and vol. control on my RME ADI-2, where -30dB always sounds the same to me.
Its like the display resets when I turn it on, but the vol stays at the higher level!
I will give it a test.

PatriciaP

Forum Donor
Thanks for the recommendation on this thread, I have found it useful in choosing an amplifier given my tiny budget.

I am waiting for Hifiman Sundara hp to arrive, and am thinking about an amplifier and dac/streamer to set up from my armchair. Spending money on a headphone is a new thing for me, I love the big floorstanders and sub sound.

I don't want to have to set up the stereo system again, so the headphone rig all needs to be powered from an extension socket by my armchair.

I have LG V30 which I will stream Amazon music and upnp local server. It's USB C powered, does either amplifier have a charging USB port?

My budget is max £150 better £100 and I prefer to buy from a UK retailer.

Sabaj A10H £96 hi-fi express
JDL Atom amp+

Would RCA Y cable from lg into either amplifier provide enough voltage?

Will the Sundara play chamber orchestra and opera well with these, as I prefer to pay a bit more if a better amplifier is needed.

roog

Forum Donor
Quite so, @Roland68, and I agree it should be just as you describe, it is just my subjective impression which I don't get from a similar dB display and vol. control on my RME ADI-2, where -30dB always sounds the same to me.
Its like the display resets when I turn it on, but the vol stays at the higher level!
I will give it a test.
I gave the volume control on the Sabaj a quick test today, it does give a consistent attenuation for each setting at turn on . So if I turn off with it set to -50dB I get the same signal voltage output when I turn it back on.

I know that this might seem obvious but I had convinced myself that something else was happening!

all good nothing to see here :~)

Roland68

Major Contributor
I gave the volume control on the Sabaj a quick test today, it does give a consistent attenuation for each setting at turn on . So if I turn off with it set to -50dB I get the same signal voltage output when I turn it back on.

I know that this might seem obvious but I had convinced myself that something else was happening!

all good nothing to see here :~)
You're right, it's not a given that it works the way you expect it to.
Of course, the display and the volume should always match and I'm glad that it is.
Does the potentiometer have an end stop or does it turn endlessly?

roog

Forum Donor
You're right, it's not a given that it works the way you expect it to.
Of course, the display and the volume should always match and I'm glad that it is.
Does the potentiometer have an end stop or does it turn endlessly?

Indeed, I think it's just that I get used to a level of volume during 'enthusiastic HiFi listening moments' which becomes normalised, I turn it off for the day and come back the next day and wonder why someone would leave it on so loud! As for the front dial, it doubles as the volume control, on/off control via pushes and a push/dial for other functions such as sensitivity, preamp or headphone operation and brightness of display! The control is an encoder which spins endlessly but with soft detents or 'notches' in its action.

During my basic testing I did notice small and periodic noise bursts with the unit set to very low volume settings. Thinking that it might be my cheap signal generator I tried the same test using my Drop THX AAA one at the same levels and found the noise to be absent. Perhaps this is the grounding issue showing up that was mentioned in Amir's original review? I didn't investigate any further at the time.

EP81

Drop DCA Aeon closed X

Wondering if this will work well with the Drop DCA Aeon closed X which run at 12.5 ohm 91db. I don't normally listen at extreme levels but would still like some clean headroom. I have a Sanskrit 10th v2 for DAC and would really like a remote control which the Sabaj has.

Alternatively, how much better off would I be with a used THX amp running off the Sanskrit, taking into account the max 2V of the DAC.

Thanks

Zim

Forum Donor
Alright a weird thing happen today. As I turned on the A10h, the channels decided to swap so my left output is now right, and vice versa. Anyone else had this issue happen before?

Marcel

So I am currently using JDS Labs Atom amp to drive my K712. I don't really like the tactile feel of the volume knob on that. Would this Sabaj be an improvement in that respect? Also, I would not expect any audible difference, would that be a correct assumption?

Lilith

Hi all,

just ordered a Sabaj A10h. I only get singal from the headphone output when I set the unit to PR0 and I don't get sound with PR1 setting. Is the unit faulty? Doesn't Pr0 bypasses the amp and PR1 not?

Lilith

Hi all,

just ordered a Sabaj A10h. I only get singal from the headphone output when I set the unit to PR0 and I don't get sound with PR1 setting. Is the unit faulty? Doesn't Pr0 bypasses the amp and PR1 not?

Ok, got it. PR1 activates the cinch output. I thought that this is always activated.

Top Bottom