• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A10h Review (Headphone Amplifier)

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not sure that'll be feasible over RCA, since RCA is unbalanced and only outputs 2v. I may be wrong but you'd need a balanced out from the DAC to balanced in to get the 5v across.
I see. So the most practical use-case in this scenario is to get a balanced DAC and use XLR>RCA adapter to feed this amp right? I think there are a few DACs sir Amir measured that can go higher than the typical 2v through RCA, but it's unusual I think.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
You are looking at the distortion of the ADC.
Both the Gustard and a10h perform MUCH better than your ADC.

When you really want to measure equipment you should use an ADC that exceeds the 'worst' DAC/amps performance.
This does not come as cheap as the used DAC or amps though.
Yeah, I am well aware of the ADC limitations.

Regardless, even with added distortions from my ADC, the a10h still looks fine.....

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Another comparison:

I let both L30 and a10h powered on overnight. L30 feels hotter to the touch. Using my infrared thermometer to check, L30 at 38c vs ah10 at 35c.

Another thing I like is when a10h is turned off using remote, DC noise (noise from X16's RCA out when powered off x16 using the power button at the back) won't pass through the a10h's preout. That should make it convenient to protect my subs when I use my x16 as DAC and a10h as remote volume control for my subs.

Oh, one more thing. The remote is a little different than remote from Topping and Gustard. I needed to press the "B" button to get remote to work if I pressed the "A" or "C" button by accident. I almost thought I had a broken remote.

Last edited:

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can someone tell me how can I manage to feed 5v to this amplifier through RCA connection?
Is this the same case with Topping L30 where I have to use specific DACs that can deliver more than the typical 2Vrms through RCA?
You would probably need a professional audio interface to output significantly more than 2 V through RCA. For example, RME Babyface Pro FS outputs 13 dBu (3.5 V) unbalanced, and MOTU UltraLite mk5 outputs 15 dBu (4.4 V).
A balanced XLR output can be connected to RCA with full levels through a transformer, but it would not retain the same performance.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Regardless, even with added distortions from my ADC, the a10h still looks fine.....

That's the thing, the plots say nothing about the performance of the a10h.
The only conclusions one can draw is that distortion of the a10h is lower than that of the ADC but so are many other (even cheap) amps.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
That's the thing, the plots say nothing about the performance of the a10h.
The only conclusions one can draw is that distortion of the a10h is lower than that of the ADC but so are many other (even cheap) amps.
That is fine. As long as not a lot worse, should be fine for my use case. Not easy to find low cost amp with preout and remote and still measured well.

If you have another low cost candidate with preout, display, and remote, I am all ears.

: )

kiyu

waiting for the review of the Sabaj A20h looks really really good, only problem is the connectors on the back.

Zim

Forum Donor
waiting for the review of the Sabaj A20h looks really really good, only problem is the connectors on the back.

Personally prefer having connectors on the back. Provides a cleaner layout, despite the minor annoyance. Running two right angle connectors to my headphones so that the cable goes to the back is quite an eyesore.

peterwen

Audio Company
Another comparison:

I let both L30 and a10h powered on overnight. L30 feels hotter to the touch. Using my infrared thermometer to check, L30 at 38c vs ah10 at 35c.

Another thing I like is when a10h is turned off using remote, DC noise (noise from X16's RCA out when powered off x16 using the power button at the back) won't pass through the a10h's preout. That should make it convenient to protect my subs when I use my x16 as DAC and a10h as remote volume control for my subs.

Oh, one more thing. The remote is a little different than remote from Topping and Gustard. I needed to press the "B" button to get remote to work if I pressed the "A" or "C" button by accident. I almost thought I had a broken remote.
The circuit structure of A10h has been specially optimized for ESD. It uses a relay electronic volume control system, not an unreasonable circuit structure in which the potentiometer is directly fixed on the pcb. If the potentiometer is fixed on the pcb, it is easy to introduce ESD into the amplifying circuit, causing damage to the components.
For A10h, we have done a rigorous 8kV ESD test, and there is no any damage.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The circuit structure of A10h has been specially optimized for ESD. It uses a relay electronic volume control system, not an unreasonable circuit structure in which the potentiometer is directly fixed on the pcb. If the potentiometer is fixed on the pcb, it is easy to introduce ESD into the amplifying circuit, causing damage to the components.
For A10h, we have done a rigorous 8kV ESD test, and there is no any damage.
L30 currently on the market also does not have any issue with 16kV ESD.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Connector on the back are fine, doesn't get hot,no noise unless you have bad electric or noisy USB at power source, it's fine for my use which is to amplify portable Dap's

Noodles

This function is very interesting:

View attachment 147012

Finally a device that does not cost an arm and a leg that has this function...

Please manufacturers take note of little ol Sabaj. Next time SMSL/Topping release something similar, at least allow us to select if this is the way we want pre's to function or the ol blast-your-ears-way!

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Report back how it works with subwoofers. I get always customers asking for remote controlled volume devices and this one looks like a very well engineered and affordable solution.
I didn't forget you. Still waiting for my matching sub to be delivered to be able to provide feedback for my living room setup.

It is in my computer room now and it's preouts are working fine.

Preouts to minidsp to stereo amp and sub so far so good.

The only thing I observed previously is that the dB for preout does not really correspondence to dB in REW. It seems I need to adjust more than a few dB in a10h to change 1db in REW. But it could be due to my ADC too....

GeekySimar

I didn't forget you. Still waiting for my matching sub to be delivered to be able to provide feedback for my living room setup.

It is in my computer room now and it's preouts are working fine.

Preouts to minidsp to stereo amp and sub so far so good.

The only thing I observed previously is that the dB for preout does not really correspondence to dB in REW. It seems I need to adjust more than a few dB in a10h to change 1db in REW. But it could be due to my ADC too....

I think you have both, the L30 and A10H. Which one you prefer out of these two. I am getting both at almost same price.

I will be regularly switching between Headphone out and Preamp, so which one makes more sense here for me?

Thanks,
Simar

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I think you have both, the L30 and A10H. Which one you prefer out of these two. I am getting both at almost same price.

I will be regularly switching between Headphone out and Preamp, so which one makes more sense here for me?

Thanks,
Simar
Either one would work fine if I am using it for desktop use. I haven't compared enough to be able to have a preference.

Top Bottom