• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A10h Review (Headphone Amplifier)

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would you consider this amp better than the JDS Atom AMP+ or similar (diminishingly different) sounding?
I considered both and bought the Sabaj. In my setup I need a control by an IR remote.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
If unplugged, and then power applied, does it come on, or do you have to turn it on? I power my system with a sequencer.
Does it come on to the same volume as when turned off even of there is no power applied?

Sami

If unplugged, and then power applied, does it come on, or do you have to turn it on? I power my system with a sequencer.
Does it come on to the same volume as when turned off even of there is no power applied?
Yes, it powers on automatically with the previous volume settings.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
You can't do what I did. Audio Precision RCA ports are floating (kind of like balanced). That gives me the then the option of where to earth them. Your audio gear has already made that decision for you which unfortunately then leads to ground loops in some cases. Resolving these problems can be a nightmare and a matter of luck. This is why I always recommend balanced connections if you can get them.
FYI, using RCA to XLR adapter (1 ft long), connect to a long XLR cable to XLR input of my amp, solved the ground loop issue.

cryptout

Maybe an update. The A20h arrived and I've been using it for a week. @SMSL-Mandy @SMSL_Liu if you could get hifi-express to ship @amirm one that would be awesome. I PMed him and he's not aware of any going his way. For shame..

That out of the way, let me review the full order/user experience :) first some negatives
  • I ordered from "EU Warehouse" but it was shipped from China from a service called "Yanwen". Full delivery took 16 days.. just shy over 2 weeks. Not terrible but not fast. I'll give it a pass though given corona/package overload, and the fact that customs and duties were at least included :)
  • On first plug-in I had buzzing using SE in/out. I then tested it further using XLR in SE out, and also tested it using an RCA>XLR adapter. Funnily enough after cleaning up my desk/workroom and hooking it all up again I am now using RCA in SE out with 0 noise in all case except for '0dB' volume in high gain, I need to use -1dB with RCA in to have an absolutely noise-free experience. Plenty loud for me.. but fair to mention.
    Perhaps there was another charger or cellular device disturbing the amp. Or after plugging into each and every input/output I fixed whatever was weird out of the box ;)
  • Knob is what it is not being analogue and all, it doesn't stretch out far from the case but the resistor clicks make up for the otherwise "okay" experience.

On to the positives:
  • Very competitive to Topping A90. I really like the resistor volume and the remote control. Hard to beat, an awesome and usually very expensive feature at this price point.
  • Power is pretty ridiculous. Normal listening volume is at lowest gain at -30dB with 600ohm HD600/HD650, this is with full 4-4.5Vrms input though, 100% system volume but ~-6dB digital volume applied in digital EQ. 4V minus 6dB would mean that default 2V input without EQ would achieve the same. This can definitely power Beyerdynamic 600Ω / Hifiman Arya/HEK/HE-6 level of headphones.
  • On that note. On my Topping L30 I used ~60% system volume so I could easily use all gain on normal knob levels (low with IEMs, medium/high with needy headphones depending on EQ used). On this one given the resistor volume network, I try to maximise volume on software side (100% on OS, 95% on application side to ensure no clipping or Windows volume limiting).
    Perhaps placebo, I'd be willing to admit it, but using max volume + resistor volume control seems to have proven to be an upgrade over my trusty L30 amp. I'm really liking the Sabaj A20h. SE in SE out / BAL in SE out would already power most traditional headphones to perfect degree. BAL in / BAL out would be there for extremely needy headphones, would not bother for other use cases, it'll just be really loud really quickly.

Another positive, to me, is the headphone port on the back. I actually like this in terms of cable management. All cables are plugged neatly behind my desk. Sure, mostly any amp has this port in front. And most people would prefer it this way. But for me this works :)

Overall would endorse this balanced Sabaj A20h product. Very nice work.
I've just ordered this, upgrading from my Atom v1 mainly for the remote resistor volume control.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Using mine just about every day :) hope you'll like it! Which source will you use?
I use mine everyday as well and it’s definitely worth upgrading to.

Veri

Master Contributor
I’ve got a d50s, not balanced but it should not matter much.
I see, should be fine with single-ended input, won't matter much except with super sensitive IEMs maybe since they will magnify any noise, with my headphones it is 100% noise free at least.

cryptout

To my amazement the A20h got delivered today. No shipment warning nothing, it was a pleasant surprise. I really love the remotely adjustable volume. I'll refrain from describing how it sound because I suck at that. The headphone connection at the back is a bit getting used to, I might put a short cable with an input in it so I don't need to reach when plugging my headphones in.

odyo

Wow. Why no one else uses this type of volume control ? It's accurate and have a nice visual and sensory feedback. It should be norm.

gcompari

Since the power cord only has a 2-pin connection, neither the power supply unit nor the A10h can be grounded through it.
I would have to test at the weekend whether the mass of the housing is connected to the chinch mass.
Any news? Is the case connected to the chinch mass?

Leiker535

Wow. Why no one else uses this type of volume control ? It's accurate and have a nice visual and sensory feedback. It should be norm.
Cost and implementation. Analog pots are simpler and cheaper.

Roland68

Major Contributor
You're speaking to my soul. Especially when I see (or rather hear) what a large channel deviation my Singxer SA-1 has at the beginning and end of the turning range, and the Sabaj A10h is perfect throughout.
The SMSL SH-9 and SP400 use it, as do many expensive/high-end devices, e.g. Niimbus.
With such a solution we are not talking about high costs (MQA is more expensive ;o), but about something more than the potentiometer. You can get ready-made DIY circuit boards for around $30. Balanced is twice as expensive in both cases (all relays, resistors and transistors x2), but it would have been worth paying a premium for the SA-1.

Incidentally, this solution is much less sensitive to ESD (and the resulting overvoltage/DC) since the potentiometer is no longer in the signal path.

If it's all about channel equality, there have also been cheap versions of rotary potentiometers with SMD resistors for $10 - 20 for a few years. I can't understand why they aren't used.

odyo

You're speaking to my soul. Especially when I see (or rather hear) what a large channel deviation my Singxer SA-1 has at the beginning and end of the turning range, and the Sabaj A10h is perfect throughout.
The SMSL SH-9 and SP400 use it, as do many expensive/high-end devices, e.g. Niimbus.
With such a solution we are not talking about high costs (MQA is more expensive ;o), but about something more than the potentiometer. You can get ready-made DIY circuit boards for around $30. Balanced is twice as expensive in both cases (all relays, resistors and transistors x2), but it would have been worth paying a premium for the SA-1.

Incidentally, this solution is much less sensitive to ESD (and the resulting overvoltage/DC) since the potentiometer is no longer in the signal path.

If it's all about channel equality, there have also been cheap versions of rotary potentiometers with SMD resistors for $10 - 20 for a few years. I can't understand why they aren't used.
Those SMSL products quite nice. I think there is also the Gustard one. Topping falling behind.

Leiker535

Those SMSL products quite nice. I think there is also the Gustard one. Topping falling behind.
I think SMSL, Loxjie and Sabaj are all from the same parent company. I may be mistaken though.

But yeah, I almost considered getting the a10h already having the topping L30 just for the digital control and remote, but refrained because I would lose a bit of money in doing so.

odyo

I think SMSL, Loxjie and Sabaj are all from the same parent company. I may be mistaken though.

But yeah, I almost considered getting the a10h already having the topping L30 just for the digital control and remote, but refrained because I would lose a bit of money in doing so.
Yeah i'm still looking for that ''perfect'' product but no one coming out with it. No reason to spend money.

Clueless

Hi guys I was wondering what the best bang for buck DAC would be to pair this with. I know value is subjective but I was thinking something 50 euros or below. An alternative would be to get the Ifi zen dac v2, which I know doesn't measure as well, or the e10k if I want to go super budget. Was thinking of just using an apple dongle with the Sabaj but maybe that's a waste of this amp idk. The DAC/Amp would be used to power the HD560s, TYGR 300R and DT 900 PRO x. Availability is a bit of an issue when it comes to Europe, brands like JDS and Schiit aren't readily available here and if they are they're selling at an inflated price (probably VAT and such). So yeah I want to get the most out of my headphones for around 150 euros, which option would be the best?

Top Bottom