• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A10h Review (Headphone Amplifier)

mc.god

Hello!
How much is the maximum power of the Sabaj at 32ohms? According to @amirm it is just 1.1W at 33ohm.

But according to L7audiolab it is 2W at 32ohm.
A10H has +9db in H2 gain, so 3X voltage gain.
Amir measures are taken with fixed 2V input (you can se in this graph that the amp outputs 2Vx3=6V at any load without clipping).
Seemes to me that L7audiolab measures are taken at max input voltage permitted till clipping, probably around 3V, since he get about 9V at any load except 16 ohm, showing the max power permitted untill clipping occurs.
Since you normally feed 2V at inputs with a standard single ended source, I think you can take Amir data as a reference.

A10H has +9db in H2 gain, so 3X voltage gain.
Amir measures are taken with fixed 2V input (you can se in this graph that the amp outputs 2Vx3=6V at any load without clipping).
Seemes to me that L7audiolab measures are taken at max input voltage permitted till clipping, probably around 3V, since he get about 9V at any load except 16 ohm, showing the max power permitted untill clipping occurs.
Since you normally feed 2V at inputs with a standard single ended source, I think you can take Amir data as a reference.
Thanks. Yes, you are probably right. I was planning to couple the Sabaj with my Hiby FC4 DAC dongle, that has a 2V output, so I will get only 1.1W at 32 ohms. This is too little for my Hifiman he400se.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Thanks. Yes, you are probably right. I was planning to couple the Sabaj with my Hiby FC4 DAC dongle, that has a 2V output, so I will get only 1.1W at 32 ohms. This is too little for my Hifiman he400se.
Get the larger A20h from Sabaj and a balanced connection cable for the Hifiman and you'll have twice the performance.
It's currently on sale at Hifi-Express for $109 / €101.50 https://hifi-express.com/products/sabaj-a20h-headphone-amplifier
For a true balanced headphone amp with a relay based volume control, this performance and a remote control, you can't beat the price.

In addition, maybe the matching desktop DAC Sabaj A10d with the AK4997EQ....
https://hifi-express.com/products/sabaj-a10d-audio-desktop-dac-ak4997eq

Get the larger A20h from Sabaj and a balanced connection cable for the Hifiman and you'll have twice the performance.
It's currently on sale at Hifi-Express for $109 / €101.50 https://hifi-express.com/products/sabaj-a20h-headphone-amplifier
For a true balanced headphone amp with a relay based volume control, this performance and a remote control, you can't beat the price.

In addition, maybe the matching desktop DAC Sabaj A10d with the AK4997EQ....
https://hifi-express.com/products/sabaj-a10d-audio-desktop-dac-ak4997eq
I am in Europe. I have it at 129€ in Amazon.
(The A10h is at 85€)
My Hiby FC04 has balanced output, so yes, it would be interesting to try that fully balanced combo.
But at that price, I would prefer other options. The Fiio K7 looks a better deal (it also has analog input so I could try the FC04 with it; that analog input is not balanced though).

The A20h has not been reviewed by Amir nor by L7audiolab so I feel buying it would be a bit risky.
I own the Topping DX3PRO +, so for now I can drive my he400se well.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am in Europe. I have it at 129€ in Amazon.
(The A10h is at 85€)
My Hiby FC04 has balanced output, so yes, it would be interesting to try that fully balanced combo.
But at that price, I would prefer other options. The Fiio K7 looks a better deal (it also has analog input so I could try the FC04 with it; that analog input is not balanced though).

The A20h has not been reviewed by Amir nor by L7audiolab so I feel buying it would be a bit risky.
I own the Topping DX3PRO +, so for now I can drive my he400se well.
Are you expecting any better/ different sound from the new kit? Or is it just for a second set up?

Are you expecting any better/ different sound from the new kit? Or is it just for a second set up?
I want to test different setups to see which one is better. Researching on internet is good, but you never know until you buy and test things at home.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to test different setups to see which one is better. Researching on internet is good, but you never know until you buy and test things at home.
Most on here would say the DX3 is all you ever need for the Hifiman and most anything else. But do you use EQ? That will make massively beneficial changes. Changing electronics should have no impact (if up to snuff).

mc.god

I'm not even sure if the balanced otuput of the fc04 can be used as a line out to xlr in of an amp...

Last edited:
I'm not even sure if the balanced otuput of the fc04 can be used as a line out to xlr in of an amp...
That is interesting. Could you elaborate? I have also bought the Douk U5 fully balanced amplifier (50€) and I have tested it together with the FC04. And the output is very low. I also have the Douk U3 (non balanced, 30€) and I got higher output (also with the FC04). I am blaming the U5 but could it be that the culprit is the FC04 bal out?
The FC04 has 4.4mm bal output. The U5 has dual XLR bal inputs.

Last edited:
Most on here would say the DX3 is all you ever need for the Hifiman and most anything else. But do you use EQ? That will make massively beneficial changes. Changing electronics should have no impact (if up to snuff).
Yes, I normally use EQ to rise the trebble and lower the bass. With my Hifiman, but specially with my Fidelio X2hr.
I am happy with the power output of the DX3PRO+. It is as expected. But I am not sure about the sound quality. I think it can be improved (but it is just my intuition). Also, if I buy the Sennheiser HD600 (or HD650), at 300 ohms, the DX3PRO+ could not give me enough power.

mc.god

That is interesting. Could you elaborate? I have also bought the Douk U5 fully balanced amplifier (50€) and I have tested it together with the FC04. And the output is very low. I also have the Douk U3 (non balanced, 30€) and I got higher output (also with the FC04). I am blaming the U5 but could it be that the culprit is the FC04 bal out?
The FC04 has 4.4mm bal output. The U5 has dual XLR bal inputs.
I'm not much into balanced matter, afaik balanced headphone connections only have + and - signals without ground, while balanced line connections have +, - and ground. Infact xlr line have 2 connectors with 3 pins each, xlr headphones is a single 4 pin connector, just like the 2.5 trrs out of the fc04 I presume. Tldr, probably it lacks ground signal.
Maybe someone else can explain better.

I'm not much into balanced matter, afaik balanced headphone connections only have + and - signals without ground, while balanced line connections have +, - and ground. Infact xlr line have 2 connectors with 3 pins each, xlr headphones is a single 4 pin connector, just like the 2.5 trrs out of the fc04 I presume. Tldr, probably it lacks ground signal.
Maybe someone else can explain better.
But my FC04 balanced output is a 4.4mm female, and this one has 5 poles (4 poles plus ground). So it could, in theory, have a ground (same ground for both channels). I don't know if it is wired. Let me test it... one moment...

Yes, it gives me 2.15Vrms between ground and any of the 2 live poles. 4.3Vrms in total.

Last edited:

mc.god

But my FC04 balanced output is a 4.4mm female, and this one has 5 poles (4 poles plus ground). So it could, in theory, have a ground (same ground for both channels). I don't know if it is wired. Let me test it... one moment...

Yes, it gives me 2.15Vrms between ground and any of the 2 live poles. 4.3Vrms in total.
Oh ok it's a pentaconn, then it should be ok, my bad. So the issue with the douk u5 is unclear.

Oh ok it's a pentaconn, then it should be ok, my bad. So the issue with the douk u5 is unclear.
Thanks!
I have opened a dispute for my U5 in Aliexpress. I want to return it but the seller wants me to pay the shipping costs. So I opened the dispute. The seller says that the levels I am getting are normal and the unit is not faulty. So I am accusing Douk of false advertising. I am getting only 2x300mW at 30ohms. The specs say 1400mW at 30 ohms.

Update:
I have won the dispute on the U5. I am refunded and can keep the U5 for free. I will test it calmly. If I can get it to work properly, I will repay the seller.

Last edited:
Top Bottom