• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A10d 2022 Version Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 189 85.1%

• Total voters

EL_PW

Forum Donor
A word of warning about the Sabaj A10 D.

When I opened the box and plugged mine into a set of Genelec 8010A's I found out very quickly that the Sabaj had been set at the factory to MAX VOLUME. It nearly blew me across the room with sound pressure. Fortunately the Genelecs were not damaged. Not so sure about my hearing. Beyond that the Sabaj may be too good for computer audio. Running a usb out from my Win 10 pc (Dell T3600 Workstation - The Terminator!) into the Sabaj I can very clearly hear lots of little noises every time the fans power up or opening and closing programs. The Schitt Modi 3 does a much better job filtering that noise out from the pc. So instead I use the Sabal hooked up to a Rotel CD player and a Oppo Disk player. No sir! I have no complaints about that arrangement. :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor

When I opened the box and plugged mine into a set of Genelec 8010A's I found out very quickly that the Sabaj had been set at the factory to MAX VOLUME. It nearly blew me across the room with sound pressure. Fortunately the Genelecs were not damaged. Not so sure about my hearing. Beyond that the Sabaj may be too good for computer audio. Running a usb out from my Win 10 pc (Dell T3600 Workstation - The Terminator!) into the Sabaj I can very clearly hear lots of little noises every time the fans power up or opening and closing programs. The Schitt Modi 3 does a much better job filtering that noise out from the pc. So instead I use the Sabal hooked up to a Rotel CD player and a Oppo Disk player. No sir! I have no complaints about that arrangement. :)
Surprising that it doesn't have ground loop filtering.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Picked up a Sabaj A10d 2022 to replace a very old and failing DAC with headphone amp for computer use.

I'm pleased. The packaging is good. The construction is very solid. It syncs well with my PC. It drives my various high and low Z headphones louder than I well ever need. I can't hear any noise.

On startup the volume is set at 100, so don't play anything until you've turned it down (thanks for the warning @EL_PW )

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Picked up a Sabaj A10d 2022 to replace a very old and failing DAC with headphone amp for computer use.

I'm pleased. The packaging is good. The construction is very solid. It syncs well with my PC. It drives my various high and low Z headphones louder than I well ever need. I can't hear any noise.

On startup the volume is set at 100, so don't play anything until you've turned it down (thanks for the warning @EL_PW )
It doesnt save the last volume on headphone out prior to switch off? Or just out of the box it defaults to 100?

If the former thats deadly!

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It doesnt save the last volume on headphone out prior to switch off? Or just out of the box it defaults to 100?

If the former thats deadly!
It's only on first boot up out of the box. I unplugged the mains overnight and today on bootup all of my settings from yesterday are restored with the volume at 46, not 100!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
It's only on first boot up out of the box. I unplugged the mains overnight and today on bootup all of my settings from yesterday are restored with the volume at 46, not 100!
I would never put on headphones without first switching on the amp and checking the volume. In any case, the level (volume) of music varies enormously, so I always start at a low setting.

Trell

Major Contributor
I would never put on headphones without first switching on the amp and checking the volume. In any case, the level (volume) of music varies enormously, so I always start at a low setting.

More manufacturers should implement what RME does for their ADI-2 DAC/Pro: Slow ramp up of volume from low level during power on or when changing output. I've taken advantage of that on occasion. It's a nice safety feature to protect both connected equipment as well as ears.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, better. Not great though. No different to a unit with a physical knob shipped with it set to max.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
More manufacturers should implement what RME does for their ADI-2 DAC/Pro: Slow ramp up of volume from low level during power on or when changing output. I've taken advantage of that on occasion. It's a nice safety feature to protect both connected equipment as well as ears.
That's a good idea and easy to do these days.

Ariamella

Bought one :) SMSL C200 did not do it for me because the sound kept cutting out and the A10d sounds fine!

paudio

You could try a cheap ADUM usb isolator <$25 CAD, Topping HS01 $100 CAD or a Topping HS02 $140. The former has worked great for me combined with an Apple USB-C Dongle DAC

Last edited:

The French

Received mine today.
Same here with the volume from the factory : 100

My main complaint is, it does clicks when I play, move forward or backward, pause etc.
No clicks when I'm only listening.

Is it normal ?

Trell

Major Contributor
Received mine today.
Same here with the volume from the factory : 100

My main complaint is, it does clicks when I play, move forward or backward, pause etc.
No clicks when I'm only listening.

Is it normal ?

Yes, it's normal.

staticV3

Master Contributor

LukeREvolver

Hey,

So does this mean that I should not buy this device if I plan to use it with a USB?:(
Has anyone got the same issue? Or perhaps there is a way around it?

Cheers

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey,

So does this mean that I should not buy this device if I plan to use it with a USB?:(

Cheers
Hi,

As I do not own the A10d I can't tell for sure.
But I own the A20d.
It is used as a DAC/HP amp connected to my Raspberry Pi4.
It is connected via USB.
I do not hear any disturbance... but there are no fans on the pi4 :)

The French

Hey,

Cheers

We all have that issue, which isn't an issue once you've been warned. :)

The volume is factory set at 100.

So you just have to lower the volume before plugging your speakers to the DAC.
And then, there's no more issue.
It then remembers the last volume level, so you're good to go.

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We all have that issue, which isn't an issue once you've been warned. :)

The volume is factory set at 100.

So you just have to lower the volume before plugging your speakers to the DAC.
And then, there's no more issue.
It then remembers the last volume level, so you're good to go.
Hi,

Even though I can not tell for sure, I think the question was about thenoises that can be heard (or so it is reported) when computer fans spin up and/or when opening or closing a program.

I do not experience this... But then again I am using a Pi4 :) No fans on that one and no programs opening or closing all the time either :cool:

The French

Hi,

Even though I can not tell for sure, I think the question was about thenoises that can be heard (or so it is reported) when computer fans spin up and/or when opening or closing a program.

I do not experience this... But then again I am using a Pi4 :) No fans on that one and no programs opening or closing all the time either :cool:

You're right. Sounds like it was more that click noise issue.

I've got that issue as well. I don't know if it has something to do with the Genelec, mine were also clicking when music starts.
It was doing it loudly on my 8010...until I used -10db on the Genelec switch. It's still there, but much more quieter (10db quieter I suppose :) ).
I've never experienced that noise with the fan starting.
I can't hear it with my Headphones, only on my speakers.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Top Bottom