• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A10d 2022 Version Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 189 85.1%

• Total voters

Veri

Master Contributor
Yikes that is bad !
Ok some engineers know how to fix it, some don't :D
Yup it's up to implementation details not chip count.

This new 2022 model, just released? Strangely this new model shares the same model number as an older, not very similar, product.

JSmith
Yes the A20d has an older non-2022 version out, too. Actually reviewed here

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I see a pattern here. A few months ago the Topping DS90 and Okto Pro were the top tier DAC but for a premium price. Now their performance is achieved and even surpassed by DACs for 1/3rd of the the costs. I am excited to see where this is going in the next few years.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yeah to me the way the Chinese are doing this belies that sort of belief that "chi-fi" is inferior to Japanese or Western products at many multiples of the cost.

I wonder what the Chinese are doing correct and others.... arent.

audiofun

I see a pattern here. A few months ago the Topping DS90 and Okto Pro were the top tier DAC but for a premium price. Now their performance is achieved and even surpassed by DACs for 1/3rd of the the costs. I am excited to see where this is going in the next few years.
the 2020 party is all over and we are in a recession time.
it will be a hard year for those device manufacturers.
reducing the price is the only sensible way to make their companies survive.

topping previously rejected user feedback to build non-mqa dac versions in their flagship line.
they mentioned the actual BOM for MQA (chip, license, etc) is lower than 10 dollars but releasing a different version would add even more costs.
They were pretty confident that their device would sell well. I guess now they know they hit the wall.
they recently released the non-mqa d90le which is 100 dollars cheaper.
It's still expensive. I guess you'll see discounts on that as well soon.

JSmith

Master Contributor
yeah to me the way the Chinese are doing this belies that sort of belief that "chi-fi" is inferior to Japanese or Western products at many multiples of the cost.

I wonder what the Chinese are doing correct and others.... arent.
It's best to refrain from using that term, even though it is a supportive post in relation to products made in China. :)

JSmith

Music1969

Major Contributor
What does “not great sounding” actually mean? It's basically a transparent device.
With the measurements we have. Which is not all measurements possible.

What if the headphone output measures 20 ohms.

Won't be that transparent for certain impedance headphones.

Gio

Forum Donor
Actually this is a real puzzle for me. I mean: are them really at the same sound level or something is missing? The only answer, in my opinion, would came from a blind test of these products.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yikes that is bad !

Ok some engineers know how to fix it, some don't :D
Just to point out this subsequent edit to that review

"EDIT: subsequent to this review, the IMD "hump" was resolved by the designer. He was also gracious to provide the fix for anyone to use!"

There is also a thread on here by the designer @Ben1987 showing how he did it.

GeekyBastard

With the measurements we have. Which is not all measurements possible.

What if the headphone output measures 20 ohms.

Won't be that transparent for certain impedance headphones.
:facepalm: Can @amirm confirm what's the HP output impedance of this device? It seems impossible to me that a device designed like that got an output impedance as high as that.

I believe it's innocent until proven guilty.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Actually this is a real puzzle for me. I mean: are them really at the same sound level or something is missing? The only answer, in my opinion, would came from a blind test of these products.
Yes it comes down to sound. But if you're 100% objective the graphs and numbers should tell you all you need to know.

A dac or amp that has that linearity, noise floor means that you can buy this DAC and assuming you get a device that has the same numbers, it will perform as expected.

I would happily buy this one. Then it comes down to minor stuff like do you accept that the headphone output is like this... or the volume is like that as described.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
:facepalm: Can @amirm confirm what's the HP output impedance of this device?
I can but in this class of performance, it is almost guaranteed to have near zero impedance. Otherwise you see a lot of power loss into 32 ohm.

Top Bottom