• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S3V, KH310 or Trio6 Be

ejaq

Hi ASR,

This is my first ASR post but I have been lurking the forums for a while. The long and short is that I've been doing mixing and mastering for a while now, the point where I am making an okay income but I currently have the HS8's and feel like I am due a serious upgrade. My three choices are above and I'm in a pickle:

I am able to get the S3V's at a discounted price which brings me around the same price point as the others. The KH310's would be slightly discounted from retail and I am really keen on them. And finally, the Trio6's would be the most expensive pair but not by a huge margin. My reservations are this;
  • S3V's look to be a vertical-only orientation, which might be a problem given driver coherence may require me to sit further back to achieve ideal listening conditions in my already limited space room
  • KH310 are the ideal shape and size though other engineers I've talked to say they certainly require a subwoofer despite the specs
  • Trio6's don't seem to have chart data, though people swear by them
Alas, here I am asking on ASR. I'm particularly interested as to what people think of the Trio6's. I'm flattered by the Neumann's and they were going to be my first choice, a couple of KH750 subs may be a worthy upgrade, considering also the DSP they provide but that may be a while off. S3V's are something that were suggested to me and they seem appealing, especially at the price I could get them at.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
E

Hemi-Demon

$6,000

May need a sub.

$8,000

$10,000

They are huge, so design your room accordingly.

I wouldn't risk that much money (Focal's or S3V) without measurements.

OP
ejaq

ejaq

$6,000

May need a sub.

$8,000

$10,000

They are huge, so design your room accordingly.

I wouldn't risk that much money (Focal's or S3V) without measurements.
Thanks for the suggestions. I've considered "The Ones" also, though they are a bit out of my price range especially since I'm getting a good deal on the other three pairs. Adam actually have published the charts for the S3V's, though they don't seem to be immensely popular online.

How close do you sit?
I sit roughly 4' 1/2 - 5' away from my speakers in my current studio.

(Edit for units of measurement)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4708

I'd prefer the speakers with waveguide - the first two on the list. Both excellent. I would probably go with Neumann KH310 - excellent measurements IMO.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Used two of the three extensively - I own a pair of 310s and work in a studio with Trio6s.

The 310s are better but the Trios are no slouch.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Sound & Recording has measurements on the S3V, and these are excellent.

I own the S3V but moved to the 8361a in the meantime.

The Adams do a very decent job in midfield applications.

3125b

Major Contributor
S&R review of the S3V: https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/messwerte-adam-audio-s3v/
KH 310: https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/studiomonitor-neumann-kh-310-im-test/
... and for the Trio 6 Be I couldn't find a full review, but here is the 11 Be also from S&R: https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/focal-trio11-be-−-midfield-monitor-im-test/
Excluding the Focal for now, the KH 310 has slightly better FR (bass extension, evenness) than the Adam, slightly narrower and more controlled directivity, lower self-noise, smaller size and lower weight and can play louder in the mids/highs, while having a sealed cabinet. The Adam can play louder in bass.

Going purely by objective measures the KH 310 is almost impossible to beat even at its now higher price. If these differences matter though - I don't know. Subjectively S&R rates the Neumann slightly higher than the Adam, but they were tested one year apart, so that might not say much.

I haven't heard or even seen the Trio 6 Be, but from the Focals I have seen measurements of and/or heard, I wouldn't be surprised if they measured a little worse. However subjectively I always liked their speakers.

Recluse-Animator

For near fields coaxials are the best choice, but 1.5m isn't really that near field.
Both KH 310 and S3V measures great so it's up to preference I'd say.
For subs there's better options than Neumann for the price.
Or maybe skip the subs and get something bigger and more expensive like Geithain, Danley or Ex Machina.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
No need for a sub with the S3V, even at more than moderate levels. In room response is well below 30 Hz.

hege

Forum Donor
No need for a sub with the S3V, even at more than moderate levels. In room response is well below 30 Hz.
Makes no sense, the measurements are -20dB at 30hz due to a steep high pass filter, it would be hard to achieve flat to 30hz even with incredible room modes.

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure where you're located, but in the US it's not hard to find KH310 refurbished with warranty for about 30% off. Even less if you're willing to go used, and there's sort of an upgrade path by adding KH750 later. It doesn't have to be 750, sometimes it's just easier to keep everything under one roof with their MA1 solution.

My only hesitation would be, going by release history, the KH310 II/KH320(?) is due to arrive within the next year or 2 which could affect value of the 310. If you plan on keeping them for years, it probably doesn't matter.

OP
ejaq

ejaq

Not sure where you're located, but in the US it's not hard to find KH310 refurbished with warranty for about 30% off. Even less if you're willing to go used, and there's sort of an upgrade path by adding KH750 later. It doesn't have to be 750, sometimes it's just easier to keep everything under one roof with their MA1 solution.

My only hesitation would be, going by release history, the KH310 II/KH320(?) is due to arrive within the next year or 2 which could affect value of the 310. If you plan on keeping them for years, it probably doesn't matter.
Thanks for that. I never considered the 320's could be a possibility, though they hadn't changed much from the original 300's so I'm not sure if it's something that's happening soon.

I'm basically leaning towards the S3Vs or Neumann's. If I get the Neumann's, I will be getting subs soon after. Will keep updated. Thanks :)

PresbyByrd

Forum Donor
Thanks for the suggestions. I've considered "The Ones" also, though they are a bit out of my price range especially since I'm getting a good deal on the other three pairs. Adam actually have published the charts for the S3V's, though they don't seem to be immensely popular online.

I sit roughly 4' 1/2 - 5' away from my speakers in my current studio.

(Edit for units of measurement)
I have the S3V’s and love them. 5’ is the absolute minimum. I use them from about 6” away and think they are fantastic. But my smallish room is really well treated.

dfuller

Major Contributor

dfuller

Major Contributor
Are they less bright than the Trios ?
I mean, yes, because they're not terrible speakers. My opinion on Focal has changed a lot. Garbage speakers.

Top Bottom