• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S-PDIF to USB converter. Any suggestions?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking for an inexpensive converter that will take an S-PDIF input and deliver a USB output.

There are any number of USB to S-PDIF output for under £$€20 , but I can't find a single one that provides an S-PDIF input.

I want to make some measurements on a stand-alone ADC that takes in balanced analogue and outputs S-PDIF, coax and optical. Unfortunately, I can't get my old Digigram PCMCIA card which has S-PDIF and analogue I/O to work with W7 or later drivers, so can't use that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

S.

jcadduono

USB output is complicated, you would need a device with a proper kernel and drivers to communicate with the USB audio device. Maybe a HiFiBerry Digi+ IO on a Raspberry Pi would be an option for you. You could perhaps make a script to poll the SPDIF inputs for a signal, determine the sample rate, then route it out to whatever DAC is connected at that sample rate.

Or...you just want a USB soundcard with SPDIF input? They are all over Amazon for like $30-$40
Heck, this one is $16:
https://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-External-Channel-Surround/dp/B00Q4WQ7XW/

Last edited:
OP
sergeauckland

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for that suggestion. I didn't think to look for a bidirectional sound card, as so few have stereo S-PDIF inputs, rather than multichannel.

I dug out my old Windows XP laptop that worked with the Digigram card I have, and it still works, XP was the last version of windows that the Digigram drivers would work with reliably. Best was W2000!

S

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A 2nd hand Focusrite 6i6 1st or 2nd generation has SPDIF in and out while it connects via USB. Also 1st gen or 2nd gen 18i20s had SPDIF and ADAT ins and outs. With some patience you'll find one for $150 or so. Not cheap, but best I can think of right now. These still work with all the Windows and Mac versions.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can run across a Mutec MC 1.2 or MC 1.1 it goes in both directions between all the digital formats and USB (plus does reclocking if you wish). They are discontinued though I have seen them for $100 to $150 in the past 2nd hand.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.newegg.com/p/23H-00FG-00001?Description=spdif card&cm_re=spdif_card-_-9SIAPBUC404222-_-Product&quicklink=true

This similar looking to the jcaduono shows, but it shows an optical in and out. I just don't know if the optical in also feeds back to the USB or only out to the surround channels.

$23

And another for $38.
https://www.newegg.com/startech-com-icusbaudio7d/p/N82E16829128010?Item=9SIA2F891V9430

This one specifies SPDIF input is pass thru only so I bet that is the case with all of this type. Not going to solve your problem.

OP
sergeauckland

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.newegg.com/p/23H-00FG-00001?Description=spdif card&cm_re=spdif_card-_-9SIAPBUC404222-_-Product&quicklink=true

This similar looking to the jcaduono shows, but it shows an optical in and out. I just don't know if the optical in also feeds back to the USB or only out to the surround channels.

$23

And another for $38.
https://www.newegg.com/startech-com-icusbaudio7d/p/N82E16829128010?Item=9SIA2F891V9430

This one specifies SPDIF input is pass thru only so I bet that is the case with all of this type. Not going to solve your problem.
Yes, it looks as if my XP laptop will need to be kept, if only for the S-PDIF I/O. It would also have been nice if I could get something that could handle 96k sampling so I can measure ADC frequency response and distortion at higher than my current limit of 48k.

Thanks anyway. I may look out for that Focusrite box if I get to the point of having to replace the XP laptop.
EDIT:- Why did I keep writing SP? I know very well it's XP!
:facepalm:

Last edited:
OP
sergeauckland

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for that, didn't come across that thread when I looked.

It's annoying that there seems to be more optical to USB than coax or AES-EBU to USB. I don't use optical for anything, all my digital sources output coax. I do have an optical to coax converter, but it's yet another box.

So far, whatever I've done with the XP laptop and Digigram card has worked OK, so I think I'll stick to that for the moment.

S.

Last edited:
Top Bottom