• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L. VMV V2 DAC/HP Amp

da Choge

Forum Donor
Does anyone own (or has previously owned) a S.M.S.L. VMV V2 DAC/Headphone Amp? It's about the right size and form factor of what I'm looking for. I want to replace my SoundBlaster Omni Surround that I use with one of my PCs with a better external stereo DAC (and headphone amp). Not looking for something real high-end, just better than the Omni. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the RCA audio outputs on the back of the VMV V2 are fixed and not variable, and therefore, probably not controlled by the front volume knob - if you're an owner, previous owner, or in the know, is that correct? I am also looking for a unit where its analog outputs are muted if a headphone is plugged into the front jack - is that what happens with the VMV V2? The Grace Design M900 is a very nice unit, but maybe a tad too big, and somewhat more than I want to spend for this purpose. The Omni sits on the front extension of my computer stand base, and I kind of want to put its replacement in the same spot, so it can't be too large. BTW, Shenzhen Audio lists the VMV V2 @ $179.98 (plus shipping) and Amazon is selling it for $107.99 (Prime) -- not a bad deal, if it's what you're looking for.

- john

Last edited:
Top Bottom