• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L Tabebuia

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I finally received the SMSL Tabeuia Speakers. After listening for less than 30 minutes I think I can say that my quest for the perfect desktop setup ends here. These work perfectly with the Nord Three Purifi 1ET400A amp, the SMSL m400 DAC hooked up to a Raspberry PI 4 running Ropieee as my desktop Roon Bridge solution, and with my Velodyne HGS 12 Direct Drive subwoofer under the desk filling out the down-low. The TW022WA04 Wavecor tweeter is so sweet. Manu Katché Keep On Tripping MQA, the track I always use as a reference, comes out satisfyingly detailed and sorted. Going to do some more comparison listening on the same tracks on my big rig B&W Nautilus 804s, but for a desktop setup this exceeds my expectations.
Great writeup! I spent some time with the Wavecor TW022WA04 in a S2000 DIY speaker build and I was really impressed, as was Amir when he reviewed the S2000 kit:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/carmody-s2000-diy-speaker-kit-review.17507/

Here's my question for you.... how is the bass in these SMSL speakers?

I know you're using a subwoofer, but did you try running them full range with no subwoofer? I would be potentially interested in these speakers but would prefer not to use a subwoofer in this particular situation. If they can play strong down to 40hz or so in room, SMSL may have a customer in me.

Mandy

Nice looking kit!

Since this is my first desktop audio setup, I don't have much to compare with. My impression is that the bass extension is better than one would expect from such a diminutive enclosure, and I would definitely say that they are usable without a subwoofer. Having said that, once i hooked up my sub there was no going back. Insanely satisfying to have effortless access to the sub 40Hz range. If you don't plan on using a sub, don't try it. It's addictive.

Sound86

I was looking for a small affordable yet hifi-ish speaker for my RV. I was considering the Soundartist LS3/5A and also KEF LSX. In the end I ordered the Tabebuia, because I liked SMSL from their very first SA50 and was just curious what they would do with a speaker.
I am planning on pairing it with a Yamaha WXA-50 once I find a used one for the right price, but might review it with the Sabaj A10 and Khadas Toneboard I have laying around before that.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At first glance my thought was why would I carpet a desk?

Sound86

At first glance my thought was why would I carpet a desk?

Yeah exactly, but then again people mentioned them not having much bass, which is okay for me generally (main system has Magnepans right now) and in an RV I cant have boomy sound. Its more for background music during the day and some listening at night if I feel like it.
Right now I am using a pair of Sony LSPX-S2 when not at home. The hardware is great, but their software is god awful and annoys me every time I use them. Setup takes ages and the only app that actually works with stereo pairing is Spotify.

mononoaware

I am planning on pairing it with a Yamaha WXA-50

I think some of SMSL’s most recent DACs and Amplifiers have a “Tabebuia” preset which probably further optimises the sound of the speaker using DSP.
Might be worth looking into.
(Not exactly sure how it works. . . Do you need “Tabebuia” preset “on” with both Amplifier+DAC to get the best sound? Or is one component set to the “Tabebuia“ preset enough?)

Sound86

I think some of SMSL’s most recent DACs and Amplifiers have a “Tabebuia” preset which probably further optimises the sound of the speaker using DSP.
Might be worth looking into.
(Not exactly sure how it works. . . Do you need “Tabebuia” preset “on” with both Amplifier+DAC to get the best sound? Or is one component set to the “Tabebuia“ preset enough?)

Yeah I would like the new SMSL DA-9 for that, espacially because the amp section measures so well. But sadly the units internal DAC can only process bluetooth, but Id rather like Wifi integration and maybe USB. So I would have to buy and place another unit on top, which I am loath to do. I rather have an all-in-one-solution for an acceptable price <400 USD.

mononoaware

Yeah I would like the new SMSL DA-9 for that, espacially because the amp section measures so well. But sadly the units internal DAC can only process bluetooth, but Id rather like Wifi integration and maybe USB. So I would have to buy and place another unit on top, which I am loath to do. I rather have an all-in-one-solution for an acceptable price <400 USD.

Hmmm but being in an RV/camper maybe Bluetooth (with LDAC) with low-energy use is more suited to the environment?
LDAC claims to be lossless in 900kbps mode for Redbook CD (16bit 44.1khz).

All you would need is an LDAC transmitting device like a Android device capable of transmitting 900kbps LDAC and a SD card to store all the audio.

Just an alternative suggestion. . .

Sound86

Hmmm but being in an RV/camper maybe Bluetooth (with LDAC) with low-energy use is more suited to the environment?
LDAC claims to be lossless in 900kbps mode for Redbook CD (16bit 44.1khz).

All you would need is an LDAC transmitting device like a Android device capable of transmitting 900kbps LDAC and a SD card to store all the audio.

Just an alternative suggestion. . .

Im pretty much settled on Class-D (hence the WXA-50 plan). I mostly play music from a tidal hifi sub (with USB audio player pro on android). LDAC might be acceptable, but I believe the DA-9 only supports low res Aptx. So I would probably need another DAC if I go that route. Now I could use the khadas tone board, which would be ideal qualitywise, but for ease of use and simple cosmetic reasons I still want an all-in-one solution. Anyone know any competitiors for the Yamaha WXA-50 under 400 used, maybe 500 if its a significant step up?

mononoaware

but I believe the DA-9 only supports low res Aptx.

Weird I missed that. . . I just checked and DA-9 uses Bluetooth 5.0 same as SU-9, but no mention of LDAC from marketing images.
So maybe they intentionally limited DA-9 Bluetooth to encourage purchase of the SU-9, SH-9, DA-9 stack.

Or it is just intentionally missing from the marketing?
Here it says it does support LDAC, UAT and AptX HD.
https://headfonics.com/smsl-da-9-review/
"I initially thought that the DA-9 is designed to rely on the SU-9 for inputs. However, the DA-9 is not limited to being connected to the SU-9, since it is equipped with a capable Bluetooth receiver. The on-board Bluetooth receiver is capable of Bluetooth 5.0 and supports hi-res codecs such as UAT, LDAC, and AptX HD"

for ease of use and simple cosmetic reasons I still want an all-in-one solution.

I agree with you I would prefer the all-in-one device. By suggesting the DA-9 I intended it to be used on it's own with LDAC Bluetooth transmission.
Plus you get the "Tabebuia" DSP preset, which could help with the "Bass" department of Tabebuia.

Sound86

Huh interesting. With LDAC enabled I might reconsider. Size, amp measurements and the fact its SMSL too are all good arguments.

mononoaware

Last edited:

mononoaware

Huh interesting. With LDAC enabled I might reconsider. Size, amp measurements and the fact its SMSL too are all good arguments.

After reading more of DA-9 thread. . .

On top of NO LDAC there seems to be QC issues with SMSL.
I also watched YouTube video recently mentioning their friend got a DA-9 which would freeze on SMSL logo when “turning on” and was defective.

Seems like Yamaha is definitely the safer choice.

I've also been critical about some of the Quality Control issues that I myself suffered from, and others have as well. SMSL is rushing to make so many new models and I think QC is being sacrificed as evidenced by my own experience (which was very easy to remedy, albeit with the loss of my warranty because I had to open the amplifier.)

was rectified by actually applying grease where SMSL neglected to apply even 20% of the total surface area of both chips. One chip had barely any thermal grease applied on it, nor was it smoothed out. I also dug deeper in the reassembly and hand tightened the amplifier chips down which were just a little loose which led to an uneven surface for the bottom panel which is the amplifiers heatsink causing one chip to run slightly warmer than the other.

I read in the WXA-50 ASR thread that the DSP does some weird things to the frequency response with the “speaker settings” (bookshelf/floorstanding/compact etc).
So maybe it is a good idea to keep the speaker settings “off”.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I see the name of this product & cannot help but to think of:

1623166294242.png

Sound86

I also watched YouTube video recently mentioning their friend got a DA-9 which would freeze on SMSL logo when “turning on” and was defective.

I read in the WXA-50 ASR thread that the DSP does some weird things to the frequency response with the “speaker settings” (bookshelf/floorstanding/compact etc).

Yeah WXA-50 has quite a lot of settings you can (and should) tweak

Guess I will just use my Sabaj A10 together with the Khadas Toneboard for now and do some reading along the way. Then I will probably end up spending way more than I initially intended. Welcome to the audiophile world :-D

EDIT1:
Although I guess I could just swap the Sabaj A10 for the DA-9, because I initially bought the Sabaj for the internal power supply (to have a small box and use it for testing speakers on the fly) From all the reading about the DA-9 I realized it comes with an internal power supply too, which I didnt believe at first, because of the small size and SMSL always having external power supplies.

If I dont like it for regular listening I can still use it for speaker testing, should be a tad better than the Sabaj anyway.

EDIT2:
Ordered the SMSL DA-9 now, because I had a $30 voucher in my aliexpress account for exactly this unit. Guess it was fate.

Last edited:

mononoaware

Then I will probably end up spending way more than I initially intended. Welcome to the audiophile world :-D

I disagree.
In 2021 there is so many options to consider and with proper research the desired outcome can be achieved.
Be patient and you can find a reliable solution for moderate cost.
You do not need to spend low $ or high $. There is many good moderate cost options available.

I think Yamaha WXA-50 is a good product. I just mentioned DA-9 due to it’s “compatibility” to SMSL Tabebuia speakers.
WXA-50 even utilises Linear Power-supply in the compact package.

I even recently considered Yamaha WXC-50 (Streamer/Pre-amp only model) recently as a solution.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I work in QC. While I don't doubt that Yamaha probably has better quality in general given their size, maturity, and pedigree, finding a defective unit is not how you conclude that there are widespread quality problems. You can only know that by looking at a greater number of samples.

mononoaware

I work in QC. While I don't doubt that Yamaha probably has better quality in general given their size, maturity, and pedigree, finding a defective unit is not how you conclude that there are widespread quality problems. You can only know that by looking at a greater number of samples.

applying grease where SMSL neglected to apply even 20% of the total surface area of both chips. One chip had barely any thermal grease applied on it, nor was it smoothed out. I also dug deeper in the reassembly and hand tightened the amplifier chips down which were just a little loose which led to an uneven surface for the bottom panel which is the amplifiers heatsink causing one chip to run slightly warmer than the other.

Highlighted in bold, surely this kind of information is cause for concern.
Yes it may be that SMSL makes improvements in QC, but I have not found just this one complaint.
Another complaint I came across mention's the "stuck on Logo" issue (boot-loop?) and another mentioned high levels of external noise getting into the signal when using it at higher volume level.
In a way three different issues, but somehow I suspect all are connected to the overall QC.

To be fair yes one may open up a Yamaha product and discover a similar issue with quality, and the solution for the an issue with a particular SMSL product may be as simple as just returning it and getting an identical replacement (better luck of the draw).

mononoaware

Also here is the boot-loop/freeze issue comment. It was a comment on a YouTube review of DA-9.
2 identical issues from 2 different sellers, possibly firmware related (can you even update firmware on an Amplifier?).

Screenshot 01130 - Copy.png

(comment date: 7th June)

Sound86

Just a very quick feedback on my Tabebuia. Ive had the Tabebuia together with a SMSL DA-9 for a few weeks now and used it occasionally (setup as a 3rd setup, in my RV). I also used a Khadas Toneboard some of the time and feed it HiRes music from amazon music HD.
Now I dont specialize in desktop speakers and my experience in that class of audio gear is rather limited. But I will tell you that I am quite pleased with the Tabebuia. The design is laid back and integrates well in a variety of rooms. For their very small size they create a nice soundstage and stereo imaging. The highs are clear and bass is tight (even though not very deep, which actually suits me)
Would I recommend them? For their size and use I could, but I dont have a lot of equipment to compare them to, so there might be better competitors in their class out there. Are they "giant-killers"? I dont feel they are, but they may also grow on me with break-in and more playtime.
Why did I buy them? Because Ive used and recommended SMSL gear for limited budget and space uses for over 10 years now and I just wanted their first speaker.

Top Bottom