• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L SU-9n issue

falwynn

I bought a SMSL SU-6/SH-6 stack from HifiGo in February. (I live in Canada BTW).

All worked well until recently, when I started getting static and distortion after the unit was on for a few hours.

HiFiGo wants me to pay shipping to send it to their Warehouse in China, at which point they will send it back to the manufacturer for test and repair. Trying to convince them to give a refund instead due to the amount of time I will be without a dac/amp, but no reply as of yet (only started the dialog a couple days ago, and they had me reset it first, etc, which did not work.

Attempting to attach a file demonstrating the issue. I just took this with my cellphone, then reduced the video settings to get the file size down. So the recording quality is crap, but the distortion is pretty hard to miss.

Attachments

• Audio Sample Distortion.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 76

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I bought a SMSL SU-6/SH-6 stack from HifiGo in February. (I live in Canada BTW).

All worked well until recently, when I started getting static and distortion after the unit was on for a few hours.

HiFiGo wants me to pay shipping to send it to their Warehouse in China, at which point they will send it back to the manufacturer for test and repair. Trying to convince them to give a refund instead due to the amount of time I will be without a dac/amp, but no reply as of yet (only started the dialog a couple days ago, and they had me reset it first, etc, which did not work.

Attempting to attach a file demonstrating the issue. I just took this with my cellphone, then reduced the video settings to get the file size down. So the recording quality is crap, but the distortion is pretty hard to miss.
Yea that is a shame, that is the issue with buying anything from another country. The service centers are often in other countries. Things happen. I had to mail my surface laptop back and it was 2 weeks before I got another one. Now my Acer Chromebook just broke randomly and I have to mail that back and they have 3-5 business day "processing time" before they will determine what will happen to it.

Toku

Major Contributor
The symptoms discussed here are common problems with DACs. This is especially the case with newly launched products.
I have encountered this type of trouble many times with SMSL/Toppin products, and each time I have reported the details of the situation to the manufacturer.
Most of the time the problem has been solved with a firmware update. Simply replacing the product will never solve the problem.
Currently, I have reported to the company that the Topping E30 ll is playing only noise in PCM768kHz, and I am waiting for the results of the investigation.

Such symptoms will not be resolved unless you report in detail the circumstances under which they occur.
In my experience it mostly only happens with certain file types. First of all, you need information on the playback file format and sampling rate when it occurred.
Further investigation will add conditions such as when switching from DSD to PCM or when switching from PCM to DSD.
If you contact the manufacturer with such information, it will be resolved quickly.

Tej

The symptoms discussed here are common problems with DACs. This is especially the case with newly launched products.
I have encountered this type of trouble many times with SMSL/Toppin products, and each time I have reported the details of the situation to the manufacturer.
Most of the time the problem has been solved with a firmware update. Simply replacing the product will never solve the problem.
Currently, I have reported to the company that the Topping E30 ll is playing only noise in PCM768kHz, and I am waiting for the results of the investigation.

Such symptoms will not be resolved unless you report in detail the circumstances under which they occur.
In my experience it mostly only happens with certain file types. First of all, you need information on the playback file format and sampling rate when it occurred.
Further investigation will add conditions such as when switching from DSD to PCM or when switching from PCM to DSD.
If you contact the manufacturer with such information, it will be resolved quickly.
Unfortunately it seems it has nothing to do with firmware in my case. Just being connected to power makes it produce noise.. with or without usb connections.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Unfortunately it seems it has nothing to do with firmware in my case. Just being connected to power makes it produce noise.. with or without usb connections.
Sounds like a mains leakage problem then.

harrydarwen

Could very easily cause damage to your fine speakers. Not certain what that sound means but I will guess it was some sort of short circuit or super loud interference.

Last edited:

thedoc31

Recently my SMSL SU9N has started making this awful static noise. It doesn't matter if I use my NC252 or a headphone amp, as long as it's on XLR it makes that awful noise.

-Tried different power cord
-Tried with and without UPS/surge protector
-Tried different interconnects
-Tried using both NC252 and Schiit Jotunheim 2

The issue has persisted.

It's extremely annoying, below is a clip of what it sounds like.

I contacted Apos Audio since the DAC is under a year old so should be under warranty still, but didn't know if anyone else had experienced this and possibly knew a fix.

Registered for an account just so I could report yet another failing SU-9n.

I just started having this problem on Thursday, unit purchased 10/24/21. I use both the XLR and RCA outs, both of which exhibited the static. Powered off the unit for a while, tried switching from ASIO to Wasapi, exclusive or non-exclusive, different bit rates, different cable connections, rebooting -- nothing mattered. I think the most shocking one was when I completely unplugged the USB cable to the computer and the static got worse. It seemed like jostling the DAC itself was an issue, though wiggling the cables in their ports didn't seem to matter.

Turned it off and contacted Apos. They asked a few standard "did you try this" troubleshooting steps and now I'm waiting for warranty return/exchange. Will report back.

asov87

Unfortunately I am another user of an su-9n that exhibited the same behaviour. Now it’s on its way back to china(shenzenaudio). I guess we were the unlucky ones with a bad batch.

6th0

Add me to the list! I bought one a little over a year ago and this morning had random static via RCA and my L630 and also via XLR and my SMSL AO200. I sent a service request to Apos. They've been helpful to me in the past with other RMA issues.

6th0

Update: while troubleshooting I find that if I keep the SU-9n unpowered for a while, the static will go away when it comes back on. I left it unplugged overnight, got about 20 minutes of play, then it started cutting in and out, then all static. This was true whether it was through the AO200 or Topping L30. I also tried with different inputs to make sure that the stuttering wasn't coming from the computer (bluetooth, laptop), same issue.

It seems that the problem starts after it warms up. Apos is already in contact with me.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Update: while troubleshooting I find that if I keep the SU-9n unpowered for a while, the static will go away when it comes back on. I left it unplugged overnight, got about 20 minutes of play, then it started cutting in and out, then all static. This was true whether it was through the AO200 or Topping L30. I also tried with different inputs to make sure that the stuttering wasn't coming from the computer (bluetooth, laptop), same issue.

It seems that the problem starts after it warms up. Apos is already in contact with me.
Keep us updated as to what happens!

xrk971

Audio Company
I have same issue of static and distortion after 9 months of use. If you shut it off and let it cool off it goes away. But comes back after 20 min to a few hours of warming up.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I have same issue of static and distortion after 9 months of use. If you shut it off and let it cool off it goes away. But comes back after 20 min to a few hours of warming up.
Its sad to see it but unfortunately it seems to be a recurring issue with SMSL products in general. As much as I have advocated for lower priced products like this in the past; it has been just too many units from SMSL over the years that have issues after a year or two...
So far none of my Topping stuff though has had these same problems. I'm currently using a D70S + THX AAA789 + Geshelli Archel2 Pro. Before this I was using my original Topping DX7 and it still works fine, although I think I killed the USB interface.

xrk971

Audio Company
I have other SMSL products in the sub $150 range and they all work fine after many years of use. Basic Class D SA36 TPA3118 amp, Sanskrit Mk10 DAC, SA300 MA12070 Class D amp. These items gave me the confidence to buy the $400 DAC, which, unfortunately, is the worst of all in reliability. Externally, it appears to be a well built design.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I had to put in an RMA with Apos. The replacement took about 10 days to the US from China. So far no recurring issues.
Glad to hear it got replaced!
Hopefully the new one doesn't fail either.
I have other SMSL products in the sub $150 range and they all work fine after many years of use. Basic Class D SA36 TPA3118 amp, Sanskrit Mk10 DAC, SA300 MA12070 Class D amp. These items gave me the confidence to buy the $400 DAC, which, unfortunately, is the worst of all in reliability. Externally, it appears to be a well built design.
I had 2x M8's and one the screen started to fade even after they rolled out a screensaver firmware... The other one had major issues with hum/buzz traveling through the USB interface (my friends PC had this issue) and when I loaned him the DAC he could only use it with Optical.
They did "sound great" and measured great as later found out here.
I currently have an SU-8N as one of my DAC's. Not sure if I will keep it long term or not but right now its paired up with my Geshelli Labs Archel2 Pro.

xrk971

Audio Company
I’ve switched back to my Focusrite 4i4 Gen 3 for now. Gives me 4 balanced inputs and 4 balanced outputs. Won’t do DSD natively but that’s ok. I did not buy mine on Apos but Amazon so the only recourse for repair is to deal directly with SMSL.

xrk971

Audio Company
Anyone who is handy with SMT desoldering might be interested in the self repair described by a member in DIY Audio. He had a similar thermal issue and did detective work to find out that the problem is caused by a clock generator chip on the DAC part that goes bad. It was erased of markings but was deduced nonetheless. Great detective work by DIYA member @horias2000. I am going to try the same fix. You can read more about it here.

It’s a $2.43 part made by Skyworks called SI5351A-B-GT

Here is photo of the replaced part (10 pin MSOP10 chip)

1678881183969.jpeg

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Anyone who is handy with SMT desoldering might be interested in the self repair described by a member in DIY Audio. He had a similar thermal issue and did detective work to find out that the problem is caused by a clock generator chip on the DAC part that goes bad. It was erased of markings but was deduced nonetheless. Great detective work by DIYA member @horias2000. I am going to try the same fix. You can read more about it here.

It’s a $2.43 part made by Skyworks called SI5351A-B-GT

Here is photo of the replaced part (10 pin MSOP10 chip)

View attachment 271901
Maybe a heatsink needs to be put on the chip once its replaced.

Top Bottom