• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L SU-9n issue

OP
archerious

archerious

Interested to see how they replace it. Whether you have to send it back to China or some place else.
The label was to Chandler, AZ. It was delivered Wednesday. So far no info from Apos but I suspect I'll hear from them by late next week.

Tej

It does that without anything being played through it? I wouldn't connect it up again, those are some nice speakers you have...no idea what it's sending out for the amplifier to munch on.
Mine does so. Without anything connecting to it, just powered on and speaker connected and those crackling noize appear....

OP
archerious

archerious

Just an update, Apos invoiced me for $13.48 then mailed a replacement SU-9N from China via 4px.

Will likely sell the unit when it arrives due to trust issues I now have with S.M.S.L.

OP
archerious

archerious

Your decision is understandable. Reliability and support matters much and is difficult to take into account (at least objectively) in a product review.
I am happy to be Benchmark-products-owner (since 2008).
Honestly if Benchmark's DAC 3 was at $999 used I would've purchased it over RME ADI-2 at $999 new.

I had a DAC1 from them back in 2012, fantastic product.

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Honestly if Benchmark's DAC 3 was at $999 used I would've purchased it over RME ADI-2 at $999 new.

I had a DAC1 from them back in 2012, fantastic product.
Yes, DAC1 was great at its time. Had it myself (and loved it) from 2008 till 2015 when I replaced it with DAC2 HGC.

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Thanks for informing us about the issue, @archerious.
I think I am done with chi-fi products before even starting to buy them (although some of them measure well and have a low price).
Today a person (who I find to be modest and honest) told me about his experience with three Topping products which he has owned: Two of them had issues.
And just now, I just read this.

Last edited:

Scrivs

Forum Donor
I’ve had (firmware flashed) an SU-9 I’ve been using as the “all rounder”, and aside from the Optical in door departing the unit, it works fine, sounds like all my other DACs. Aside from pricing deltas and whatever opamps, converter(s), and power supply capacitors (adopted ) which are hyped on the silly product sheets, all these things are essentially the same. I mean spec-wise, sonically, physically. QC is what it is, given the scale involved, and the for the value proposition, imho, I’m. a bit more willing to have an open mind.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Honestly sometimes I'm temped to pull the trigger on the new "X" dac with the good measurements thinking "so what,if it breaks (hopefully without destroying something down stream) it's only 100-200-300 euros".

But then comes my practical self (much stronger in my case) thinking "3 or 4 such breakdowns are a VERY nice RME".

That's where I lean these days...

Scrivs

Forum Donor
Which is why after the SU-9, I have said RME as my one-and-done pulling duty nowadays

Well twice and done technically if we’re not counting ole faithful (M4)

OP
archerious

archerious

OP
archerious

archerious

Have you had any issues with these: Topping A90/Singxer SA-1/Gustard H16 ?
So far nothing other than the A90 volume knob is a bit looser than it was before.

dturnbull

I'm the new owner of the replacement SU-9n that @archerious received and then sold. It is working wonderfully so far. Thanks @archerious!

IMG_0603small.jpeg

OP
archerious

archerious

rman9

Had a question folks. I recently bought this unit from Amazon, the one thing I noticed is in the menu, I don't see a line for 'Outputs' where you can go in and select 'All', RCA or XLR. I am confused because the little manual says that option should be part of the Menu Tree, I see this in my other SMSL DAC D300 menu, but not in the SMSL SU-9n menu.. Any clues anyone?

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

dturnbull

Had a question folks. I recently bought this unit from Amazon, the one thing I noticed is in the menu, I don't see a line for 'Outputs' where you can go in and select 'All', RCA or XLR. I am confused because the little manual says that option should be part of the Menu Tree, I see this in my other SMSL DAC D300 menu, but not in the SMSL SU-9n menu.. Any clues anyone?
I think both outputs are "on" all the time. There is no "outputs" menu option on my unit either, but I can verify that both RCA and XLR outputs work without switching any setting on the DAC.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I see a ton of Chinese company bashing going on in this thread. I think there are many misconceptions that people really should understand.
With the global chip shortages going on companies are forced to use whatever chips they have available in order to produce products. This may mean that while the DAC chip is available that does not mean that every single choke, capacitor, vrm and other control chip may be available.
So sometimes parts are swapped. Also due to the lack of Supply there are alternate suppliers which may be supplying lower quality chips that manufacturers may not even know about.
This can cause failures down the line that cause problems with Brand reputation.

Considering the fact that Chinese audio products cover most feature sets, most price ranges and most "nice to haves" as well as good design; they are undoubtedly selling many more units VS other brands.
Mainly I mean topping & smsl.
However I would say that Topping is higher quality VS SMSL just due to how they do designs & QC. They are more vertically integrated and focus on specific market segments. SMSL uses many contracted designs and sells everything under the sun. They also replace products very frequently, unlike Topping.

I personally have my first Topping D30, A30 & the original DX7 which I just retired from my main daily audio stack after 5 years. Now it will go to run my speakers in my main room.
I broke the USB input... Otherwise it works fine still... Even if the oled screen is faded now after 5 years of daily use.
I have other friends with Topping products who have no issues, D50, DX3Pro, D10, A90D, etc.

Schiit on the other hand doesn't deserve to be supported ever. It is a trash tier company run by horrible people. They scammed the industry for years and pay off admins on headfi to push their narrative. It's literally how I found this site after I was pushed out of headfi for discovering flaws in Schiit USB interfaces. They decided to silence me instead of man up to the design flaws.
They still sell scam products like Modi Multibit (but it's out of stock right now) and crap like Yggdrasil.
JDS labs on the other hand is a great company with honest people. They are a small company however and don't have many products.
So if you are in the market for entry level; Atom stack has you covered.
Otherwise there is the Element.... That is it. It's good, but falls behind other products in things like balanced interconnect, MQA (some of us use it), amp input (dropped on element 3), multiple headphone outputs, IEM modes, etc and it's $500.

Otherwise what else is American? Benchmark? The prices of their stuff is very high. Also regardless of where stuff is built; the chips come from the same places and issues with chip quality can be an issue for any of these companies.
So it makes it harder to support other companies too.

All in all I don't see much of a reason to bash "all Chinese audio devices" because of some isolated incidents or specific model design flaws.

Top Bottom