• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L. SD-9 Set-Up and Basic Review

NexusOne

I also asked in the M50 thread but also here. Which are the (dis)advantages in comparison to the Topping M50?

navin

I also asked in the M50 thread but also here. Which are the (dis)advantages in comparison to the Topping M50?
The M50 does not have a LAN port. That seems to be its biggest disadvantage over the SD-9.

The challenge that the SD-9 has is that its software is quite buggy. (see review below).

jackdanyal

For $400-500 I would buy a decent android dap with remote mobile app and use it as network streamer. Yeap, you need to charge it time to time, but you will get cleaner sound, dap for portable use, much more functionality.

navin

For $400-500 I would buy a decent android dap with remote mobile app and use it as network streamer. Yeap, you need to charge it time to time, but you will get cleaner sound, dap for portable use, much more functionality.
How would you connect this DAP to a DAC?

jackdanyal

How would you connect this DAP to a DAC?
sorry for the late response. vast majority of android DAP can output signal through the usb-c port. So, you will use your DAP as source only (like a PC). a lot of dap in the same price range have coax output through the 3.5mm jack. and the last and most popular variant is just use line out 3.5mm jack to attach the DAP directly to an amp with 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable. in this case you will use the DAC chip of your DAP.

blanc

Has anyone compared SMSL SD9 with JF Digital MX-3 or Cayin iDAP-6? All are DAPs without internal DAC. I doubt if one can really hear the difference when connected to the same DAC. Digital data are just zeros and ones. Maybe jitter can make a difference. I’m not sure.

navin

Has anyone compared SMSL SD9 with JF Digital MX-3 or Cayin iDAP-6? All are DAPs without internal DAC. I doubt if one can really hear the difference when connected to the same DAC. Digital data are just zeros and ones. Maybe jitter can make a difference. I’m not sure.
Some claim they can hear the difference between a $200 Raspberry Pi, a $500 Blue Sound Node, a $3000 Innuos, a $5000 Aurender and a $9000 Auralic.

kopczas

Question was asked but no answer given:
has new FW resolved initial software bugs: gapless playback, reversed channels, freezing...????

kopczas

There`s FW 1.2 already. I`ve asked smsl what changes it contains.

lowrideris

smsl sd-9 for me also on some song distors heavyly, like broken speaker scary sh...it... :)
overal nice sounding, but i dont like that distortion in some songs, for example" fim audiophile reference iv (hdcd) - 14- Marias Vaggsang" from 55sec. on chorus moment.
But i dont have reboots or other problems some people reported here...

Last edited:

kopczas

Maybe output signal level is to high for DAC input.
Which output do you use?

lowrideris

Maybe output signal level is to high for DAC input.
Which output do you use?
on all outputs is the same clipping . for first impression looks like it somehow louder whan PC usb out. so it clips... but i think its in hw or sw problem.

deano454

I love how technology has made listening to music so much more simple than it was 20 years ago.
Hilarious I spent two and half yesterday fighting Windows 10 trying to install some drivers for a Hidizs AP80 pro and still bloody couldn't. Whilst we got it playing as a DAC and my mate was rapped we didn't get it properly set up .

lowrideris

Did you turn off EQ and this other magic audio thing?
Yes. Everything is off.. found already atleast 10 songs where smsl starts heavy clipping. Decided to return to seller. Looking for the same sound signature streamer only without such anoying bug. Jf mx pro... Maybe somebody tested this chinese streamer with big lcd screen?

Top Bottom