• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L DA-9 vs AO200?

robca

In the case of USB connection of AO200, when you open the device properties, only "2 channel, 16bit 48000Hz (DVD quality)" is displayed fixedly. No other selection is possible.
But the sound quality from USB is not so bad. The sound quality is sufficient as a bonus function.
Thanks so much, really appreciated. Alas, for me that's the main function of an integrated amplifier, not a bonus one. I'll keep looking :)

For what is worth, that dialog box was from my Topping MX3. Not the greatest amp, but for low volume near field using USB as a source, still one of the best options

panther

Mine causes a delay in shutdown of my PC by about 10 seconds or so. As soon as I unplug it from USB my PC shuts down significantly faster. The onboard DAC is actually ok compared to what I thought it was going to be like when I read and watched a few reviews. Definitely an external DAC is better but it's nice to have something inside.

panther

Thanks everyone for the replies. Not promising, I have to say, but it all makes sense.

If anyone has the AO200 connected to a computer, would it be possible to see what sampling rate and bit number the device supports? In Windows, it can be tested by going into the Sound settings, Device properties, Additional properties in this dialog

View attachment 277502

As for using a separate DAC, if I decided to go that way, I'd use then a dedicated power amplifier. With an integrated amplifier, you pay for unused functionality and inevitably you have compromises on sound due to the extra circuitry
Mine is limited to 16 bit, 48000 khz with no options to change on USB.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hello everyone!
A thorough analysis of the insides of both amplifiers showed that from a technical point of view, these are ABSOLUTELY identical models!
The power supply is the same: MORNSUN LOF225-20B24.
The chipset and operational amplifiers are the same.
The power capacitors that ensure the rocking of the speakers are the same and have a capacity of 2200 uF.
The only difference is that the DA-9 is equipped with a full-fledged Qualcomm QCC3008 aptX LL Bluetooth chip, and the AO200 is equipped with a poor JieLi AC690x Bluetooth chip.

These amplifiers only have different housings and (probably) the nuances of the firmware.

View attachment 233016 View attachment 233017
Just a small note on an important difference between AO200 and DA-9.
With the AO200, high-quality, low-impedance and relatively expensive tantalum or tantalum/polymer smd capacitors were additionally installed in the power range (between the power supply and the 2200uF capacitor) and in the small-signal range.
No manufacturer does that for fun.

Since these components affect more stable operation and cleaner and more stable power supply, it can be a big difference in operation between both devices.
Perhaps this change gleaned from the experience with the DA-9.

Last edited:
Top Bottom