• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rupert Neve RNHP Headphone Amp Review

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Steve G: "This pro sound/audiophile headphone amp was touched by genius... the Neve RNHP headphone amplifier wows the Audiophiliac."
Amir: "the RNHP is not particularly broken"

Now, this is what I call "channel imbalance".. :)
Steve G is the Will Rodgers of audio reviewers.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm guessing this implies when using 2-12V DC batteries or 4-6V DC batteries configured for 12 V DC output. I've never seen a 24V DC battery but they may exist and just be very uncommon.

Here's a 24v Li-ion battery...

I purchased a Talentcell PB249B1 (42980mAh) powerbank on Amazon, and picked it up at the package forwarder yesterday. It has three different voltage outputs - USB 5v/2.4A, plus 12v/2.5A and 24v/5A.

It's charged fully, and I am about to try it with my 24vdc Aiyima ChiFi amplifier. Source will be my Cayin N3 DAP, and speakers a pair of Yamaha NS-A325 mini-monitors or larger Q-Acoustics 3010's. Will post more comments in separate thread.

Edit: The Talentcell Battery has a 5.5mm x 2.1mm barrel connector out, and that's what my cables are. The Aiyima amp, like many other 24-36v amps, has a 5.5mm x 2.5mm port, so I ordered an adapter and will wait until it arrives to play with my new toys.

Talentcell 24v Li-ion Battery.jpg

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a 24v Li-ion battery...

I purchased a Talentcell PB249B1 (42980mAh) powerbank on Amazon, and picked it up at the package forwarder yesterday. It has three different voltage outputs - USB 5v/2.4A, plus 12v/2.5A and 24v/5A.

It's charged fully, and I am about to try it with my 24vdc Aiyima ChiFi amplifier. Source will be my Cayin N3 DAP, and speakers a pair of Yamaha NS-A325 mini-monitors or larger Q-Acoustics 3010's. Will post more comments in separate thread.

View attachment 54268
I learn something new everyday and here at ASR it makes that even more :)

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I learn something new everyday and here at ASR it makes that even more :)

You are correct that 24v batteries are not common. This Talentcell is new and expensive - $120. But it is what I have been waiting for - 24v and high capacity. People use them for CPAP machines and other medical devices where you don't want to run out of capacity.

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The acrylic case will break if you drive your car over it, the RNHP will not, it's in the review.
Also, the RNHP has a VESA mount on the bottom, so you can attach it to a stand. It seems pretty clearly targeted towards the studio crowd. That's probably also why the top/bottom of the chassis extend past the front/rear panels. That's so you don't snap the connector off if you drop something on the amp while it's plugged in.

Tom

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Was gonna say "mediocre". But what's inside?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I saw this a year ago or more.... it looked decent but the price was really up there.
Glad to see that it got tested and the performance is more mid-road for today.

YSC

Major Contributor
9565177.png

A bit shocked to see the poor channel matching while there is an ALps RK271 inside

9565169.png

index.php
So it seems like those stepped attenuators does make sense somehow? Or it’s a fake alps

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Datasheet gang error spec for the standard part is "-60dB to 0dB within 3dB -80dB to -60dB within 5dB possible depending on total resistance and taper."

YSC

Major Contributor
No offense to the opamp used here.. the auralic Taurus mk II in mine used some also I think and cost me like $2000 back then, but the distortion and limited power of this RNHP is disappointing tbh

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Ah. So the power supply is a single +24 V DC supply from an AC/DC switching converter. That explains all the electrolytic caps. There's an input filter on the power supply (you can see the shielded inductor by the power inlet). The two gold caps are the output caps.

This could help explain the rise in THD at heavier load, however, that's not the only plausible explanation.

I wouldn't knock the NE5532. While it has been superseded in terms of performance by the LM4562/LME49720, OPA1612, etc., it's a quite capable opamp, in particular for the price.

Tom

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
BTW: If you still have the amp on the bench, I'd love to see the multi-tone IMD.

Tom

Oddiofyl

This was my first decent amp And it served me well. It is now at my girlfriends and works well with my Tab A as an easy way to stream Qobuz

I just purchased the new Quicksilver Audio Headphone amp and it sounds incredible. The Neve is clinical sounding compared to the QS but still a good amp to have around.

N

nhatlam96

I use this amp daily. The power switch thud bothers me too but other than that, it is a great sounding amp that beats some amp 4-5x its price.
How do you know that its beats some amp 4-5x price? Have you experienced it yourself? If not, can you link me your source?

Top Bottom