• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rule, Britannia!, Britannia rule the (sound)waves!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is just fine. Thus, I have improved my English vocabulary.:)

I am currently participating in this course:

That's really funny. If you can understand all that you have truly mastered English.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is also good to keep in mind that the darkest periods of audio charlatanism (i.e. Flat Earthism in the 80s) were initiated in the U.K hifi culture.
True, but I don’t know about the darkest. I bought the whole catalogue of Sound Practices to see if there was anything interesting -talk about the Dead Sea scrolls of audiophoolery. .

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
That's really funny. If you can understand all that you have truly mastered English.
Karl: Im not waxing your xxxxx..What more is there xxxx if you have one done.

Ricky: What's smack in the face?
Karl's: When someone thumps (understands what it is not how it is spelled)
Ricky: The worst English lesson ever.

He He. :)

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please direct all enquires to https://www.ministryofsound.com/

The club boasts a 64-speaker, 22-channel sound-system with a ring of six bespoke Martin Audio ground stacks positioned around the dancefloor of The Box.

Personally I wouldn't bother trekking around too many HiFi shops, there's better ways to spend your time with all the museums and markets etc. Check out the Spitalfields market area and Brick lane and Borough Market if you're into food.

Go to some gigs and see some live music, somewhere like Koko has a good range of things on in a cool venue with a good sound system.
I went to some pretty good parties at what used to be Camden Palace-now Koko- in the early 90’s. They must have done some work on the place, as although I never saw it in the cold light of day, I don’t recall it being a like any other palace I’d seen. Agree that there’s no point visiting hifi shops in the U.K on a trip. Definitely get to some music venues.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
But wait now, what's called "the English hifi sound" is that just a product of the sound from darkest periods of audio charlatanism? That is, relatively non-linear with quite a lot of distortion?

Or is it this?

We ask the industry: is there such thing as 'British hi-fi sound'?

Accurate, faithful and true, ”says Nick Clarke, director of engineering at Arcam, when we ask him about a British sound.

But what then, many manufacturers of Hifi, regardless of country, still reason in that way.

True sound, I do not know what it is.
He probably means linear without distortion.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
We are far too reserved to embiggen our achievements in such a public forum.

Made me google. :-s ...Thanks Google for those [usually] stupid questions - in this case, "Is embiggen a real word?"

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Katji

Major Contributor
I went to some pretty good parties at what used to be Camden Palace-now Koko- in the early 90’s. They must have done some work on the place, as although I never saw it in the cold light of day, I don’t recall it being a like any other palace I’d seen.
:) Definitely was a Palace - as in originally a big cinema or theatre. Lots of nooks and different places to sit. It was good, they used to hand you a bunch of free tickets when you went in...not sure if weekday nights were all free.
I need to look at Google now - iirc, it was around the corner from a big railway station... ...Euston?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Made me google. :-s ...Thanks Google for those [usually] stupid questions - in this case, "Is embiggen a real word?"
I also googled that word. He he.:)

2021_10_15_20.29.21.jpg

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:) Definitely was a Palace - as in originally a big cinema or theatre. Lots of nooks and different places to sit. It was good, they used to hand you a bunch of free tickets when you went in...not sure if weekday nights were all free.
I need to look at Google now - iirc, it was around the corner from a big railway station... ...Euston?
Camden Town tube is the nearest.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think your original questions were: *What to do? and *what to see?
*Go to some music venues (and/or 'pubs') and report back if English ska and punk are still alive.
*See if you can sneak (=non-touristy) into the BBC studios and send us back a real picture of the LS3/5 speakers in one of their studios.
Only then, we can believe you really was able get to your destination with the current Covid lockdowns...
Bon Voyage...

Katji

Major Contributor
............. King's Cross / St. Pancras. ...Mornington Crescent.

Camden Town tube is the nearest.

1634323527522.png

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. I mean 1980. "The Music Machine" means nothing to me............no ways, definitely - it was already Camden Palace.

[PS:] Maybe I'm confused - maybe the confusion comes from when I tried to find out a couple years ago and was told it was Camden Palace.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding music to go to in London, search the web, there is so much on, but also so much sold out, classical music venues are probably easiest to search.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But wait now, what's called "the English hifi sound" is that just a product of the sound from darkest periods of audio charlatanism? That is, relatively non-linear with quite a lot of distortion?

Or is it this?

We ask the industry: is there such thing as 'British hi-fi sound'?

Accurate, faithful and true, ”says Nick Clarke, director of engineering at Arcam, when we ask him about a British sound.

But what then, many manufacturers of Hifi, regardless of country, still reason in that way.

True sound, I do not know what it is.
He probably means linear without distortion.

I have a 'UK tuned' Yamaha DSP-AX757SE AVR sitting in a box in my garage. My understanding is that the 'SE' on the end of the model indicated the 'UK tuning' (I could be wrong, it bought it 15 years ago). I imported the AVR from Germany as it was cheaper there than in the UK - I was led to believe that this was because Yamaha landed their EU bound equipement in Germany and this lowered the cost there. Again, not sure if thats true, but it was £100 less than what Richer Sounds were asking back home.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
............. King's Cross / St. Pancras. ...Mornington Crescent.

View attachment 159244

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. I mean 1980. "The Music Machine" means nothing to me............no ways, definitely - it was already Camden Palace.

[PS:] Maybe I'm confused - maybe the confusion comes from when I tried to find out a couple years ago and was told it was Camden Palace.
1980 was a bit before my time, at least with respect to London nightlife. You may be right though, I thought it was Camden palace well before the 90s.

DSJR

Major Contributor
LS3/5A's were designed to reproduce and magnify distortion and noise/hiss in broadcast programme in outside broadcast vans!!!! They do this incredibly well, but 'accurate' music reproduction wasn't part of their portfolio, although some lovers of this model would disagree vociferously!

When I started in 73-74 in my store, Crown driven big IMF's were the thing and JBL L200's impressed us too (too damned big/wide I suspect, so we settled on L65 Jubals which I liked a lot). Spendor BC1's and frail sibling Rogers LS3/6's were the mid size offering with the KEF 104ab coming up close behind. Older goodies like B&W DM2's were left behind by this time. Gale 401's were way before their time but I'm eternally fond of them when driven right. Not UK, but the AR LST's were incredibly impressive and I'd love to hear some today as they could go close to a long wall and not hugely toed in. Tannoys were incredibly coloured but the 'Ard-Ons' went bloody loud I remember.

All this in the days before the Linn LP12 'fruitbox' turntable bent our ears and tastes and Naim Audio climbed on the back of it, totally destroying the UK high end industry and receptiveness to good things from other countries. I can say that back in hindsight, although some demonstration concepts did actually work well for everybody else (getting rid of comparators, more rigid speaker mounting and one pair of speakers set up in a dem room at any one time). Thank Gawd I had industry and pro friends who did their best to keep me more grounded, although they failed in the early to mid 80's...

I'll crawl back under my stone now... (shuffles off mumbling incoherently...)

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I think your original questions were: *What to do? and *what to see?
*Go to some music venues (and/or 'pubs') and report back if English ska and punk are still alive.
*See if you can sneak (=non-touristy) into the BBC studios and send us back a real picture of the LS3/5 speakers in one of their studios.
Only then, we can believe you really was able get to your destination with the current Covid lockdowns...
Bon Voyage...
But I will not go now, I wrote a holiday trip to London in the future.When remains to be seen.:)

Nice tips in any case.

LS3/5 speakers, check out my first post in this thread. Same tweeter..:)

Top Bottom