• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rubber isolation feet worsened speaker performance?

Adhoc

It might be possible to get the durometer specs of the cork pads from DiversiTech, I was able to find this detail durometer info of their higher performance rated EVA foam pads (3:1 vs cork), at the prohibitively expensive cost of twice the price of the cork pads:

Hardness specs for Diversitech’s EVA MP2E 2”x2” anti-vibration pads are as follows:
The black rubber component has a Shore A scale rating of 55 +/-7.
The blue foam layer has an ASKER C rating of 70 +/- 7 [as defined by SRIS 0101 (Standard by the Society of Rubber Industry, Japan)].

- https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/vibration-isolation-2

Would it be possible to compile a sort of weight class list for these budget isolation materials based on their durometer ratings?
for example, 1-100 lbs - cork, 100-200 lbs - rubber, 200-300 lbs - EVA foam
?

(My bolding).
No, not really. One must consider the mass / area unit, as well as the geometry of the foot (its form factor). A circular disc shows different values compared to a rectangular one, even if the “flat area” is the same, -the area along the circumference x thickness is different for them.

Sylomer is an excellent isolation material, a trademark owned by Getzner. It comes in various hardnesses. One of them is “SR 450”. With thickness 12,5 mm it can with appropriate load of 0,45 N/mm² reach a natural resonance frequency of about 16 Hz => isolates from about 23 Hz and upwards. https://www.getzner.com/media/921/download/Data Sheet Sylomer SR 450 EN.pdf?v=5 gives some hard data. There are other good sources too with cheaper materials, like solid rubber. Real data is seldom or never disclosed by snake oil vendors.

With an inappropriate load an excellent material may be useless though if you wish to disturb your neighbors less, -like with too little load / area unit. Enclosed picture shows a diagram with the Sylomer SR 450. 4 discs Ø 90 mm with a total load of 200 kg / 440 lbs (= a sofa with 2 persons in it.) Natural frequency for SR 450 will then be about 40 Hz. At 40 Hz there will be about 18 dB amplification, roughly 7 times more of vibrations!!! Neighbors will surely not applaud that if vibrations from the speaker feet were amplified by 7 times through the floor / ceiling. GREAT if one wants some more tactile feeling though. Sitting in the sofa frequencies from around 56 Hz and lower will be felt more. (56 / root (2) = 40 Hz.)

Attachments

• Sylomer SR 450 40 Hz natural resonance.JPG
    Sylomer SR 450 40 Hz natural resonance.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If it's a weight factor can you not:

1. Use only three feet. That will also deal a bit better with uneven flooring.

2. Put a weight on top of the speaker.

I use a lot of room treatment, principally bass traps, and this absorbs bass energy so reducing the amount in the room, which also means that less can escape to neighbours. Mind you how bass sound gets to neighbours is not a simple thing and I don't pretend to understand it.

Unclevanya

I wasn't surprised to see that the accelerometer showed the subs vibrating so much. Conversely, this should show that less sound energy is passed into surroundings.

Those results were from the phone placed on the floor, which seems to indicate less transmitted vibration into the surroundings.

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding "low profile" spikes. I want to add some stability to some 90+ lb floor standers which are located on low profile berber carpet. The OEM spikes are way too tall, and it seems the vast majority of speakers spikes for sale are the same way.

Ironic enough, when looking through my component storage I found what seem to exactly what I'm looking for - except I only have enough for one speaker! I also can't for the life of me remember where these came from (searches through my Amazon history, email archives, etc all turned up nothing). Anyone recognize these or know of anything similar? I'm open to all ideas.

IMG_3932.JPEG

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding "low profile" spikes. I want to add some stability to some 90+ lb floor standers which are located on low profile berber carpet. The OEM spikes are way too tall, and it seems the vast majority of speakers spikes for sale are the same way.

Ironic enough, when looking through my component storage I found what seem to exactly what I'm looking for - except I only have enough for one speaker! I also can't for the life of me remember where these came from (searches through my Amazon history, email archives, etc all turned up nothing). Anyone recognize these or know of anything similar? I'm open to all ideas.
Will these work?
https://www.mcmaster.com/9377K53/

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Time to start a business reselling those cork furniture pads as audiophile grade isolators for 4x the price!

Andysu

Major Contributor
Why not try chains to the ceiling with coach bolts in the joists and then suspended the subwoofer from the floor or you can raise it up while REW testing it and may find it better.

win

View attachment 129708

Those are the stock feet included with SVS subwoofers. How many do you need? I have extras.

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
Those are the stock feet included with SVS subwoofers. How many do you need? I have extras.

000.gif

Ahhh it all makes sense now. Wow, I can't believe I overlooked that. Thank you, mystery solved.

Thanks for the offer. I'd gladly tale 4 of them if you don't need them, just let me know how much I owe ya.

win

000.gif

Ahhh it all makes sense now. Wow, I can't believe I overlooked that. Thank you, mystery solved.

Thanks for the offer. I'd gladly tale 4 of them if you don't need them, just let me know how much I owe ya.

Pm me your address

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After I typed the original post I remembered I had some 35 cent cork pads lying around somewhere, so once found I also dug out the speaker's carpet spikes and ordered some little spike feet for them to compare and to my surprise they performed much better than $50 SVS feet! Sound was not negatively affected by the cork pads and vibrations transferred past the spike was basically eliminated. With the SVS rubber feet I could feet vibrations in the rubber, but I felt nothing from the cork.

SVS feet:

Spikes + cork pads:
RDsZExo.jpg
I myself, along with most of my friends and family, have been using those anti-vibration pads for years. Still have half a box full when needed.
Their not only great for under speaker and subs, their great under your audio equipment, they give that extra room for ventilation and security.
No better or cheaper place to buy them from than Supply house. I always get stuff from them in one to two days. They also have the best selection to choose from.
Pads - Equipment Pads - DiversiTech Pads - DiversiTech Equipment Pads - HVAC Parts - SupplyHouse.com

Top Bottom