• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RSL CG25 Center Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 7.0%

• Total voters

Maiky76

This is a review, listening tests and measurements of the RSL CG25 center home theater speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $425.
View attachment 268368
This is an unusual design in that the port goes through a path in the back which kind of resembles a very short/truncated transmission channel. Otherwise we have the usual MTM configuration of dual mid-woofers and tweeter. Not much to see on the back other than the useful threaded insert for mounting it to the wall:
View attachment 268369

Build quality seems good with nice finish and reasonable weight and solidity.

I was contacting the company regarding another product so while I was at it, I asked them to review the frequency response measurements. They are generally in agreement with the results you are about to see.

Speaker was tested in horizontal configuration as you see above. Reference axis was that of tweeter.

RSL CG25 Center Speaker Measurements
As usual we start with our anechoic frequency response measurements:
View attachment 268370
At first glance, the on-axis response looks quite bad. But stepping back, the bass/mid-range simply has too much output. And we have a single resonant peak around 4.6 kHz. We can see the reason for both in the near-field, non-anechoic response of the drivers and port:
View attachment 268371
The unusual port design is extending the output all the way up to 500 Hz. The are resonances after that but levels are rather low. Woofers nicely roll off.

Predicted in-room response and early window reflections are messy due to above factors:

View attachment 268372

View attachment 268373

MTM configurations cause the dual drivers to "beam" and as such, lose their side energy at certain frequencies and we see that here as well:
View attachment 268374

Some really get narrow and this one looks a bit wider than normal which is good:
View attachment 268375

Vertical directivity is wide so if you use the speaker vertically, you don't have this issue:
View attachment 268376

The dual drivers plus wideband port response helps a lot with distortion in bass:
View attachment 268377
View attachment 268378

We do have distortion where the resonance was. So to the extent we reduce that peak with EQ, we can also put a bandage on that.

Impedance is typical at 4.2 ohm:
View attachment 268379
Here are the waterfall and step responses:

View attachment 268380

View attachment 268381

RSL CG25 Speaker Listening Tests
Objective measurements do not prepare you well for what you first hear from this speaker. First impression is authoritative bass with good balance with highs! I know, how could that be? Well, my first track is always a female track where some bass adds warmth. But where is the high coming from? Well, it is the resonance we have seen in the measurements. I took that down first with EQ and now the tonality shifted to too much bass:

View attachment 268382
I then worked backwards and put in the shelving filter to lower the bass, and fill the hole in that region. I then performed and AB and you now much more clearly heard how much extra bass there was without EQ.

With EQ, the performance was superb! This one small speaker could pump out power no matter how loud I cranked my 500+ watt amplifier! The sound was clean, with nice impactful bass and super satisfying! I dare say it was one of the best sounding center speakers I have tested!!!

Mind you, there is not much support for sub-bass but what is there is just a tad distorted. Many small speakers produce highly distorted response there.

Conclusions
One of the benefits of a center speaker is that you almost know that it will be used in a home theater situation with EQ. So why not design it with extra bass response and have the EQ fix that as needed? That seems to be at play here with CG25. With over 90 dB sensitivity in bass and midrange region, you have plenty of dynamic range in reserve. Bring the level down and you reduce distortion. Sure, there is a resonant peak in treble but interestingly, that provided some balanced to extra bass in case someone uses it without EQ.

So what we have here is a design that on purpose (per company) deviates from neutral response, but in a beneficial way when equalized. I always wondered about such an approach: not wasting sensitivity in a speaker and letting it produce the most of what it can, and then fixing with EQ.

For a center speaker where so much energy is directed at in movies, the overall picture is quite positive, pun intended.

I am happy to recommend the RLS CG25 with equalization where it produces superb fidelity and ability to play incredibly loud.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
@amirm are you sure about the EQ settings?
In particular the 410Hz peak, I mean if you tried to compensate the suck out it is more like at 555Hz...

Here is my take on the EQ.

Please report your findings, positive or negative!

The following EQs are “anechoic” EQs to get the speaker right before room integration. If you able to implement these EQs you must add EQ at LF for room integration, that is usually not optional… see hints there: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...helf-speaker-review.11144/page-26#post-800725

The raw data with corrected ER and PIR:

Score no EQ: 2.9
With Sub: 5.0

RSL CG25 No EQ Spinorama.png

Spinorama with no EQ:
  • too many issues to list...

Directivity:
Horizontal: stay in front of the tweeter
Vertically +/-10deg
RSL CG25 2D surface Directivity Contour Only Data.png

RSL CG25 LW BEtter data.png

EQ design:

I have generated one EQ. The APO config file is attached.
  • The second, labelled Score, starts with the first one and adds the score as an optimization variable.
  • The EQs are designed in the context of regular stereo use i.e. domestic environment, no warranty is provided for a near field use in a studio environment although the LW might be better suited for this purpose.
Score EQ Amirm: 2.4
with sub: 4.7

Score EQ Score: 5.2
with sub: 7.2

Code:
RSL CG25 APO EQ Score 96000Hz
March012023-140858

Preamp: -1.9 dB

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 37.60,    0.00,    0.99
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 167.78,    -5.74,    0.73
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 355.56,    -3.57,    1.76
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 723.34,    -4.00,    5.45
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 896.43,    -3.21,    4.28
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 1387.11,    3.02,    0.52
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 2443.80,    -3.26,    1.51
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 4615.23,    -5.80,    5.04
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 5603.74,    2.73,    6.72

RSL CG25 EQ Design.png

Spinorama EQ Amirm
RSL CG25 Amirm EQ Spinorama.png

Spinorama EQ Score
RSL CG25 Score EQ Spinorama.png

Zoom PIR-LW-ON
RSL CG25 Zoom.png

Regression - Tonal
RSL CG25 Regression.png

Radar no EQ vs EQ score
Nice improvements but start from low...
RSL CG25 Radar.png

The rest of the plots is attached.

Attachments

• RSL CG25 APO EQ Score 96000Hz.txt
    473 bytes · Views: 26
  • RSL CG25 LW data.png
    RSL CG25 LW data.png
    190 KB · Views: 33
  • RSL CG25 Reflexion data.png
    RSL CG25 Reflexion data.png
    152.9 KB · Views: 23
  • RSL CG25 Raw Directivity data.png
    RSL CG25 Raw Directivity data.png
    500.5 KB · Views: 28
  • RSL CG25 Normalized Directivity data.png
    RSL CG25 Normalized Directivity data.png
    334.2 KB · Views: 22
  • RSL CG25 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    RSL CG25 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    431 KB · Views: 21
  • RSL CG25 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    RSL CG25 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    433.4 KB · Views: 27
  • RSL CG25 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    RSL CG25 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    328.2 KB · Views: 32

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does this speaker even have a crossover? Honestly it looks like a design product with some chassis slapped together, loosely level matched and off to shipping. Not even the port seems take make sense.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand how any MTM gets recommended as a center channel.

It should be a blanket "no"
The window is measured to be 36 degrees, which is just shy of the recommended 40 degree viewing window in a HT. This is definitely a good enough spec.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess if you're okay with a -6dB hole with the response.
Where is that hole within the 36 degree window?

index.php

If you are talking about the drop in the 500-600Hz range, @amirm have answered that. After the bass is reduced with a shelf filter the dip is reduced to 4dB, which is then compensated with a notch filter. The speaker is designed to be EQ'ed.

index.php

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where is that hole within th3 36 degree window?
index.php

See the orange 20° curve which represents the border behaviour of a total 40° (±20°) horizontal listening window.

Last edited:

rvsixer

I'm not sure what to think about a speaker company that says a desired center channel trait is for it to have a "subtle presence". For a channel that averages about ~70% of the bed layer output, I prefer my center channels to be robust :) :
"*The CG23M can be placed vertically or horizontally and provides the subtle presence desired from a center channel."

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php

See the orange 20° curve which represents the border behaviour of a total 40° (±20°) horizontal listening window.
Thank you but you are confirming what I am saying. I appreciate if you explain what I’m missing?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe you should read what the red line that you're referencing means?
It’s on the graph title is t it? What am I missing?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you but you are confirming what I am saying. I appreciate if you explain what I’m missing?
You are welcome, but it is not confirming what you say but what @abdo123 wrote, namely that the yellow 20° curve shows an approximate 6 dB dip (around 1,5 kHz).

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are welcome, but it is not confirming what you say but what @abdo123 wrote, namely that the yellow 20° curve shows an approximate 6 dB dip (around 1,5 kHz).
Please read my reply to @abdo123 above. After the bass correction shelf filter the dip is reduced to 4dB, which is then further EQ’ed with a notch filter.

The manufacturer has specifically designed a speaker that should be EQ’ed hence we should review it as EQ’ed. as this is a centre speaker, it is normal to assume that it will be we used with an AVR and they almost all have an EQ facility. Otherwise it is similar to testing an active speaker with its DSP disabled.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please read my reply to @abdo123 above. After the bass correction shelf filter the dip is reduced to 4dB, which is then further EQ’ed with a notch filter.

That's not how speaker directivity works. you either have a peak on-axis with this speaker or a dip off-axis. there is no middle ground with EQ.
The manufacturer has specifically designed a speaker that should be EQ’ed hence we should review it as EQ’ed. as this is a centre speaker, it is normal to assume that it will be we used with an AVR and they almost all have an EQ facility. Otherwise it is similar to testing an active speaker with its DSP disabled.

EQ will not fix the MTM radiation, and the manufacturer did not provide the filters that Amir used nor the spinorama Amir used to make the filters.

So yeah I don't agree with your conclusion.

rvsixer

Unless I am reading it wrong, the EQ being discussed to apply, is to tame the bass response. The narrowing of the horizontal dispersion occurs well above that range, so the -6dB response dip at +/- 18 degrees still applies, EQ or not?

jbattman1016

Being an owner of a CG25, it works great with or without EQ, but this is totally just based on my limited experience with 3-way speakers :)

Honestly, if I could do it all over, I would use the CG25s for L/R and get one of the Emotiva centers.

PeteL

Major Contributor

You Get that there's a dip at 20 degree at 1.5kHz that is not present on axis right? (or to be clear, is 6 dB less pronounced). Your answer suggest that you are talking about something else than directivity induced frequency response error.
Edit, ain't it actually 8 dB?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

You can fill it even completely with a EQ but that doesn't change the directivity problem with the central listener at 0° having in that case a 6dB peak.
Directivity problems cannot be solved via EQ.

Top Bottom