• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RPi4 + CamillaDSP Tutorial

sarieri

Forum Donor
@Wirrunna :
2 cents:
pavel@precision:~$ dpkg -S /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf ttf-bitstream-vera: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf

Do you have the package ttf-bitstream-vera installed?
Is there any chance volume could be synced between configs (when using gaudio_ctl)?

HenrikEnquist

MCH

Major Contributor
hey Michael,
i think you mentioned that you had some of those hifiberry hats... did you ever tried to use a hifiberry digi in ubuntu? i have tried everything i found online but seems that the overlay somehow does not do its task. I am confident that the driver is loaded but alsa does not see the card. The same card in raspbian works and shows up in aplay -l, so i think it is not a hardware issue... any clues?
anyone else using a digi in ubuntu? thanks!

jdubs

Forum Donor
Hey all

Is it possible to set a MAXIMUM volume? Just to avoid someone accidentally going higher than they "should".

-Jim

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
5.15.0-1027-raspi it seems...
can you think of a way to solve it?

I still have a hifiberry digi+ I/O. I just tried it on a RPi4 running Ubuntu 22.04 (5.15 kernel) and it seems recognized by aplay. All I did was at dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi to /boot/firmware/config.txt.

1682362198480.png

1682362580968.png

I know that some of there were some compatibility issues with the digi2 and the RPi4 but I didn't think they were OS specific -> https://www.hifiberry.com/blog/digi2-pro-raspberry-pi-4-1-5-incompatibilities/.

Michael

Attachments

• 1682362615226.png
    1682362615226.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
I still have a hifiberry digi+ I/O. I just tried it on a RPi4 running Ubuntu 22.04 (5.15 kernel) and it seems recognized by aplay. All I did was at dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi to /boot/firmware/config.txt.

View attachment 281227

View attachment 281228

I know that some of there were some compatibility issues with the digi2 and the RPi4 but I didn't think they were OS specific -> https://www.hifiberry.com/blog/digi2-pro-raspberry-pi-4-1-5-incompatibilities/.

Michael
Hm, not working for me... will keep on trying, thanks!

Daverz

Major Contributor
Is it technically possible to have camilladsp set two DM7 as output device and sync their clocks?

The DM7 only has USB input, so I don't think there's any way to sync clocks. The Okto 8-channel DACs can be chained together, if you can manage to source two of them. I'd look at pro devices like Motu.

MCH

Major Contributor
Which specific HAT?

Only other thing I can add is that I have put the overlay under [CM4] in the past and that won't work, needs to be under [ALL] or [pi4].

Michael
A diy countertype of the original Digi+ i made myself. Initially thought that i soldered the chip badly (i hand soldered it) but the fact that it works in Raspbian and that in Ubuntu the i2c address shows locked by the driver tells me it might be a software issue. I know some hifiberry hats have a EEPROM chip, that of course is a black box for me, but the old Digi+ doesn't, and i believe neither the digi i/o...
I have seen others report exactly my same issue and seems it was kernel issues as phofman suggested, but the fact that yours works with exactly the same kernel version is a bit puzzling...

But no worries, will find out, thank you for testing!!

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ubuntu + CamillaDSP + shairport-sync setup @mdsimon2 expalined in detail works fine on OrangePi boards as well. So far tested with OrangePi Zero2 1GB and OrangePi 3LTS. Why this is relevant you ask? Because Zero2 is actually available to purchase in Amazon for $35.

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Made a slight update to the tutorial for the newly released Ubuntu 23.04. The only major change is the way that pycamilladsp and pycamilladsp-plot are installed. You now need to use "--break-system-packages" to install packages that are not in the system repository via pip.

So far 23.04 seems to work just like 22.04 and 22.10, my primary concern was that rpi.gpio would stop working but that does not seem to be the case.

Michael

Last edited:

glc650

Ubuntu + CamillaDSP + shairport-sync setup @mdsimon2 expalined in detail works fine on OrangePi boards as well. So far tested with OrangePi Zero2 1GB and OrangePi 3LTS. Why this is relevant you ask? Because Zero2 is actually available to purchase in Amazon for $35.
What about the OLED display?

Top Bottom