• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RPi4 + CamillaDSP Tutorial

phofman

Maybe the pause is common for both capture and playback either within the snd-usb-audio driver or it may block the usb device itself

aplay supports pause too (-i + space/enter key) - does it have any effect on arecord?

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the help guys, I think we are getting somewhere.

If CamillaDSP is in the RUNNING state I can send music to the loopback (from aplay, squeezelite, shairport, REW, etc) have it processed through CamillaDSP, route one of the analog outputs to an analog input and successfully use arecord to capture the analog input. I can start / stop aplay using pause and arecord does not have an issue.

Unfortunately I still get the same error in REW even if CamillaDSP is in the running state. So maybe it is a REW specific issue.

Michael

phofman

I can start / stop aplay using pause and arecord does not have an issue.
Does that aplay output to cdsp or directly to your card? What happens with arecord when you pause aplay playing directly to the card, no cdsp in between. IMO it's important to investigate the driver/card behavior first before introducing other parts into the chain which are additional sources of unknown.

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does that aplay output to cdsp or directly to your card? What happens with arecord when you pause aplay playing directly to the card, no cdsp in between. IMO it's important to investigate the driver/card behavior first before introducing other parts into the chain which are additional sources of unknown.

Originally aplay output was to CDSP (loopback). I also tried playing directly to the card with no CDSP and that seemed fine (no errors, I would need to redo my channel routing to actually get something out of the MOTU to record). No issues with pausing aplay in either case.

Michael

HenrikEnquist

Does aplay pause the stream properly? I would guess it does. CamillaDSP does not (for Alsa, didn't seem to cause any trouble until maybe now), it just stops providing data and lets the device underrun.

HenrikEnquist

We need to check the aplay source code to figure that out. It probably calls snd_pcm_pause() or some other suitable function to pause the stream.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I asked Audient about the Evo 16 as an alternative to the DM7 or MOTU for multichannel DAC usage and got an answer:

On the EVO 16, it will control the volume of any channels that are assigned to the Stereo Main Mix. However, it cannot currently control more than stereo so couldn't be used for 2.1 or other surround formats. We have had a lot of requests for this however so it may be something we add as a feature in the near future via a firmware update.

I’m not a programmer but I don’t think it will be that complicated to add this feature.
I assume the most time consuming about this would be adding the UI elements to set this up.
They really have to add this feature; only having 4 stereo output pairs is wasted potential imo

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
I asked Audient about the Evo 16 as an alternative to the DM7 or MOTU for multichannel DAC usage and got an answer:

I’m not a programmer but I don’t think it will be that complicated to add this feature.
I assume the most time consuming about this would be adding the UI elements to set this up.
They really have to add this feature; only having 4 stereo output pairs is wasted potential imo
Thanks for the info.
Looks and price are really attractive if they add the volume feature but no remote....

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the info.
Looks and price are really attractive if they add the volume feature but no remote....
The only good options with remote controllability are the Topping, a minidsp or just digital volume of MoOde/ CamillaDSP.

The Audient Evo looks like a really good alternative to the topping if you don’t need a remote if they actually add Multichannel support

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH

Wirrunna

Michael, I am trying to get Flirc to work. Your instructions -
FLIRC USB IR Receiver

A FLIRC IR receiver is an easy way to add IR volume control for around $20. I’ve created a python script so setting this up is very easy. The first step is to download the FLIRC software on your main computer and connect the FLIRC receiver to that computer. Pair your remote so that volume up is key up and volume down is key down.

Do you mean use https://support.flirc.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202980419-How-to-set-up-Flirc
to set the "Minimalist" preset up down to volume up down ?

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Michael, I am trying to get Flirc to work. Your instructions -
FLIRC USB IR Receiver

A FLIRC IR receiver is an easy way to add IR volume control for around $20. I’ve created a python script so setting this up is very easy. The first step is to download the FLIRC software on your main computer and connect the FLIRC receiver to that computer. Pair your remote so that volume up is key up and volume down is key down.

Do you mean use https://support.flirc.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202980419-How-to-set-up-Flirc
to set the "Minimalist" preset up down to volume up down ?

Yes, that is it. It should be the default view.

Michael

jbjbjbjbjb

Michael,

I wonder if you could give me some advice...
I've had CDSP on a RPI4 all setup and working with Asus U7 for a while. All has been fine since I swapped the SD card for a USB SSD - so I thought my crashing problems were solved.
Needing some extra dac output, I got a MOTU M4 which I set up and was working - all good. Then suddenly as I was saving some changes it crashed and now the rpi won't boot at all - even with no cards connected and various power supplies tried. The SSD connects to my pc so is not totally broken.

Now, I'm reinstalling from the beginning against my better judgement - I really want this to be a bullet-proof install. Have any others had problems like mine? Is my RPI at fault? Is it me? What sort of reliability can I expect?
I've got a Jetson Nano running HomeAssistant which literally never breaks - is there another SBC that is usable for CDSP too?

thanks for you advice,

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
the rpi won't boot at all - even with no cards connected
The Rpi obviously won't boot without a sdcard or something with an OS on it ...

Have you imaged a stock Raspbian (PiOS) onto a new clean sdcard and tried booting? My Pis run for months on end without problems. I don't think reliability is a general issue, although of course any complex mass-produced tech can develop errors.

MCH

Major Contributor
. Have any others had problems like mine? Is my RPI at fault? Is it me? What sort of reliability can I expect?
My pi/camilladsp set up using this instructions has been in continuous use since beginning of 2022, with a motu m4 since early summer. Never crashed, still first install. And I don't take much care, i.e. I unplug mains when I leave on vacation, and when I return i plug it again, and there it is, working as when i left.

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Michael,

I wonder if you could give me some advice...
I've had CDSP on a RPI4 all setup and working with Asus U7 for a while. All has been fine since I swapped the SD card for a USB SSD - so I thought my crashing problems were solved.
Needing some extra dac output, I got a MOTU M4 which I set up and was working - all good. Then suddenly as I was saving some changes it crashed and now the rpi won't boot at all - even with no cards connected and various power supplies tried. The SSD connects to my pc so is not totally broken.

Now, I'm reinstalling from the beginning against my better judgement - I really want this to be a bullet-proof install. Have any others had problems like mine? Is my RPI at fault? Is it me? What sort of reliability can I expect?
I've got a Jetson Nano running HomeAssistant which literally never breaks - is there another SBC that is usable for CDSP too?

thanks for you advice,

I can't say I've experienced any reliability issues. My main system which I use everyday uses a RPi4 + Ubuntu / CamillaDSP + Okto with a SD card and I've never had any issues in the past year.

That being said I do wonder about powering the M4 directly from the RPi. The M4 current draw seems very high. I have primarily used it with a macbook pro and it causes the macbook pro to heat up to an exceptional degree unless the M4 is connected to a powered USB hub. Recently when going through the REW troubleshooting mentioned above the M4 would shut off when I attempted to start REW on the RPi. Again if I connected the M4 to the RPi via the powered USB hub no issues.

Michael

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I should also say that if you do not need GPIO for a display there are lot of other hardware options besides a RPi. I run camillaDSP on a mac mini 2012 for example and it works great, which is nice because I can use old firewire interfaces with it.

It does seem a bit suspicious that you've had two failures at this point, one with a SD card and one with a SSD. Seems like it may be a hardware specific issue. A feel like people try to blame everything on power supplies and I am not sure that is your issue but what power supply are you using?

Michael

phofman

We need to check the aplay source code to figure that out. It probably calls snd_pcm_pause() or some other suitable function to pause the stream.

Yes, aplay calls snd_pcm_pause https://github.com/alsa-project/als...cc596ad5036dd94e5c4/aplay/aplay.c#L1553-L1565

REW does not call in the generator pause (even though the javasound alsa interface uses snd_pcm_pause in its stop method), it keeps sending zeros if the generator is off with the arrow button. In capture REW calls snd_pcm_pause through the javasound stop method when the RTA is off or the RTA window is closed.

Top Bottom