• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RPi4 + CamillaDSP Tutorial

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Michael,
I read your post
about the new release.
I look forward to either an upgrade howto or updated install steps (probably more simple -
https://github.com/HEnquist/camillagui-backend/releases/tag/v1.0.0-rc1 and
https://github.com/HEnquist/camilladsp/releases/download/v1.0.0/camilladsp-linux-aarch64.tar.gz )

Although ongoing it would be good to have upgrade instructions.

Edit : It appears that the new release is evolving quickly and so we should wait a few days for a stable version.

I am waiting just a bit to see if there will be final version of the V1.0.0 GUI before updating the instructions. If you want to jump ahead and give it a try now all you need to do is delete your old install and re-install.

First delete all of your old stuff related to camilladsp, camillagui, pycamilladsp and pycamilladsp-plot.

Rich (BB code):
cd ~/camilladsp
rm camilladsp camilladsp-linux-aarch64.tar.gz camillagui.zip camillalog
sudo rm -r camilladsp camillagui pycamilladsp pycamilladsp-plot

Then re-install using the newest versions. You can use the same commands as before for pycamilladsp and pycamilladsp-plot but you need to update the download URLs for camilladsp and camillagui.

Rich (BB code):
wget https://github.com/HEnquist/camilladsp/releases/download/v1.0.0/camilladsp-linux-aarch64.tar.gz
tar -xvf camilladsp-linux-aarch64.tar.gz
sudo git clone https://github.com/HEnquist/pycamilladsp
cd pycamilladsp
sudo pip3 install .
cd ..
sudo git clone https://github.com/HEnquist/pycamilladsp-plot
cd pycamilladsp-plot
sudo pip3 install .
cd ..
wget https://github.com/HEnquist/camillagui-backend/releases/download/v1.0.0-rc2/camillagui.zip
unzip camillagui.zip -d camillagui

Now you just need to make a few changes. First I would edit your ~/camilladsp/camillagui/config/camillagui.yml so that default_config and active_config point to ~/camilladsp/configs/camilladsp.yml as is done in the tutorial.

Rich (BB code):
nano ~/camilladsp/camillagui/config/camillagui.yml

The other change that is worth making is editing your camilladsp.service to change the log file location. With the new GUI you can view the log directly from the GUI but the log needs to be named correctly. Update the ExecStart line in /lib/systemd/system/camilladsp.service to ExecStart=/home/michael3/camilladsp/camilladsp -g-40 -o /home/michael3/camilladsp/camilladsp.log -p 1234 /home/michael3/camilladsp/configs/camilladsp.yml, replace michael3 for your username.

Rich (BB code):
sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/camilladsp.service

Restart the services.

Rich (BB code):
systemctl daemon-reload
sudo service camilladsp restart
sudo service camillagui restart

That should get you up and running again.

Michael

Last edited:

Wirrunna

The other change that is worth making is editing your camilladsp.service to change the log file location. With the new GUI you can view the log directly from the GUI but the log needs to be named correctly. Update the ExecStart line in /lib/systemd/system/camilladsp.service to ExecStart=/home/michael3/camilladsp/camilladsp -g-40 -o /home/michael3/camilladsp/camilladsp.log -p 1234 /home/michael3/camilladsp/configs/camilladsp.yml, replace michael3 for your username.
That is a subtle change, "camilladsp.log" ! Very handy to have the log available in the GUI.

Have the new display running, thank you.

Holmz

Major Contributor
I am not sure if this is the right place…
But…

I have an Octo DAC8 Pro.
And looking to get an RME ADI 2 Pro for input.
Then something in the middle to an active XO.

Is there a list of gear for this?
Looked like the 1st or 2nd page had some??

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure if this is the right place…
But…

I have an Octo DAC8 Pro.
And looking to get an RME ADI 2 Pro for input.
Then something in the middle to an active XO.

Is there a list of gear for this?
Looked like the 1st or 2nd page had some??

A RPi4 running CamillaDSP can do it (as described in this tutorial). Probably the best way to do it is AES output of RME to AES input of Okto with Okto running in AES / USB mode with only the Okto connected to the RPi4. This avoids resampling and does not require any rate adjust in CamillaDSP to bridge clock domains between the RME and Okto. Signal routing looks like this:

RME AES out (2 ch) -> Okto AES in (2 ch) -> Okto USB out (2 ch) -> RPi4 (DSP) -> Okto USB in (8 ch) -> Okto analog out (8 ch)

However, the Okto has some quirks around sample rate so it would be good to get some more information about your setup.

What are your inputs to the RME?
For digital inputs what are the sample rates? Are they variable or fixed?
Will you do volume control in the RME or Okto?

Michael

Last edited:
OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've updated the tutorial to reflect the CamillaDSP V1.0.0 release. I also changed the tutorial to use a symlink configuration file after I finally wrapped my head around how to use it (thanks @HenrikEnquist for the help!). This requires less modification to implement (no need to modify camillagui.yml) and allows for easier changing of configuration files in the GUI.

The new GUI has some expanded functionality but as it has not been finally released I am holding off on updating the GUI portion of the tutorial.

Michael

Holmz

Major Contributor
A RPi4 running CamillaDSP can do it (as described in this tutorial). Probably the best way to do it is AES output of RME to AES input of Okto with Okto running in AES / USB mode with only the Okto connected to the RPi4. This avoids resampling and does not require any rate adjust in CamillaDSP to bridge clock domains between the RME and Okto. Signal routing looks like this:

RME AES out (2 ch) -> Okto AES in (2 ch) -> Okto USB out (2 ch) -> RPi4 (DSP) -> Okto USB in (8 ch) -> Okto analog out (8 ch)

However, the Okto has some quirks around sample rate so it would be good to get some more information about your setup.

What are your inputs to the RME?

Preamp.

The path will be:
Analogue gear —> Preamp —> RME analogue inputs —> R-Pi(??) —> Octo DAC8 Pro —> Amps —> Speakers

For digital inputs what are the sample rates? Are they variable or fixed?

48 or 96k, if that works for both the R-Pi and the Octo

Will you do volume control in the RME or Okto?

Ideally just the analogue preamp.

Wirrunna

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Preamp.

The path will be:
Analogue gear —> Preamp —> RME analogue inputs —> R-Pi(??) —> Octo DAC8 Pro —> Amps —> Speakers

48 or 96k, if that works for both the R-Pi and the Octo

Ideally just the analogue preamp.

OK that is super easy to integrate because ADI2 Pro ADC will use it's internal clock so you can set the sample rate to whatever you want (I would probably go 96 kHz or 192 kHz) and it is constant. If you were trying to integrate multiple digital sources at different sample rates it would be slightly more complicated.

As mentioned before I would route the AES output of the RME to the AES input of the Okto in AES / USB mode with only the Okto connected to the RPi. You can start with the okto_aes configuration file in the tutorial.

I am not sure what gear you currently have but of course an ADI2 Pro + Okto is rather expensive and if you are using a preamp for volume control you aren't really using the Okto's display or volume control. If you were starting from scratch I would consider an all in one interface like a RME UCX II, UFX+, UFX II or Fireface 802 or a MOTU Ultralite Mk5.

Michael

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor
Thanks @mdsimon2
I already have the Octo DAC8 Pro, and do not yet have the RME for ADC part… nor anything else except for the preamp and analogue side up to it.

bathroomskank

I get "cannot execute binary file: Exec format error" from Ubuntu 22.04 when I try starting CamillaDSP. Maybe someone has clue about this ?

Thank you

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get "cannot execute binary file: Exec format error" from Ubuntu 22.04 when I try starting CamillaDSP. Maybe someone has clue about this ?

Thank you

It sounds like you may be using the wrong version of CamillaDSP for your operating system. Are you using Ubuntu Server 22.04 64 bit? Can you run uname - a in terminal and post the results?

Michael

bathroomskank

It sounds like you may be using the wrong version of CamillaDSP for your operating system. Are you using Ubuntu Server 22.04 64 bit? Can you run uname - a in terminal and post the results?

Michael
Linux MS-7A40 5.15.0-27-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 14 04:55:28 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm not using the Server version.

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Linux MS-7A40 5.15.0-27-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 14 04:55:28 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm not using the Server version.

You are using a x86_64 version of Ubuntu which means you are not using a Raspberry Pi. The tutorial is intended to be used with a Raspberry Pi running aarch64 version of Ubuntu.

I have never setup CamillaDSP on x86_64 Ubuntu so I am not sure of what all will need to be changed but at a minimum you should use the binary linked below instead of the aarch64 one linked in the tutorial.

If you run in to further issues I recommend looking at the CamillaDSP github for further explanation.

Good luck!

Michael

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi Michael,

I am trying to set up something similar to what you describe with the Motu M4 in the tutorial (switchable analog in / streamer) but instead of analog in i am using toslink in with a second card, that is:

config 1:
toslink in card 1 -> raspberry pi camilla -> card 2 dac -> analog

config 2:
stream (squeezelite/alsa loopback) -> card 2 dac -> analog

Toslink in is 16 bit 48 kHz, stream is 16 bit 44 kHz. I mention this because i suspect it could be relevant (?)

I switch between both configurations with a remote/flirc as per your instructions

The setup works but it is not very stable. After a couple of times changing confs or after booting the system, one of the configurations (usually the streamer) stops working. Is there anything i can try to make the whole thing more robust?

I have camilladsp set up as per your former instructions prior CamillaDSP V1.0.0 release

btw just noticed your mention of the budget standalone toslink in/out instructions in post #2, makes me feel so proud :D thanks!

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Michael,

I am trying to set up something similar to what you describe with the Motu M4 in the tutorial (switchable analog in / streamer) but instead of analog in i am using toslink in with a second card, that is:

config 1:
toslink in card 1 -> raspberry pi camilla -> card 2 dac -> analog

config 2:
stream (squeezelite/alsa loopback) -> card 2 dac -> analog

Toslink in is 16 bit 48 kHz, stream is 16 bit 44 kHz. I mention this because i suspect it could be relevant (?)

I switch between both configurations with a remote/flirc as per your instructions

The setup works but it is not very stable. After a couple of times changing confs or after booting the system, one of the configurations (usually the streamer) stops working. Is there anything i can try to make the whole thing more robust?

I have camilladsp set up as per your former instructions prior CamillaDSP V1.0.0 release

btw just noticed your mention of the budget standalone toslink in/out instructions in post #2, makes me feel so proud :D thanks!

Can you post your configurations and your flirc.py? Is the log showing you anything specific when it breaks? It might be worth increasing the verbosity of the log by adding "-l debug" to your camilladsp.service to help with troubleshooting.

Michael

Nabussan

I have the following questions/issues:

1. What might be the reason why, on the Ultralite Mk5, I don't have output on the "Main 1-2" outputs, only on lines 3-10?
Outputs:
0-9: analog 1-10

In Cammilla DSP, I use „ultralitemk5_toslink_01052022.yml“.

My Cuemix settings are as follows (see the preset in the zip file):

1652199175298.png

2. When I set the clock source to Optical on the Mk5 front panel, as per instruction, there is no more sound. Clock source internal is OK.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• ultralite_cumix-settings_toslink_test.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 44
OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the following questions/issues:

1. What might be the reason why, on the Ultralite Mk5, I don't have output on the "Main 1-2" outputs, only on lines 3-10?

In Cammilla DSP, I use „ultralitemk5_toslink_01052022.yml“.

My Cuemix settings are as follows (see the preset in the zip file):

View attachment 205882

2. When I set the clock source to Optical on the Mk5 front panel, as per instruction, there is no more sound. Clock source internal is OK.

Any ideas?

I'm out of town this week so cannot check this directly but you can only see Main 1-2 outputs because you are under Main 1-2 Mix. If you want to assign something to 3-4 outputs go to Line 3-4 Mix, 5-6 outputs go to Line 5-6 Mix, etc.

If the optical clock is not working I bet the sample rate of your source is not matching the sample rate of CamillaDSP. My configuration assumes a constant 96 kHz sample rate, what is your source and what is it's sample rate?

Michael

Nabussan

you can only see Main 1-2 outputs because you are under Main 1-2 Mix
Hi Michael, thanks for your reply.
The issue is: I have assigned all 10 output lines in the same way. 3-to10 work, but "Main 1-2" doesnt't work, there is no sound.

My source is a Hifiberry DAC+DSP module. I think it resamples everything to 48kHz. But somehow the Motu doesn't want to save these values.
And at the moment, in the Camilla GUI there is no signal at all, no matter which sample rate. Quite strange. I will try again tomorrow.

MCH

Major Contributor
Can you post your configurations and your flirc.py? Is the log showing you anything specific when it breaks? It might be worth increasing the verbosity of the log by adding "-l debug" to your camilladsp.service to help with troubleshooting.

Michael
hey Michael, took me 1 hour to read, understand and set up the log file (until i realized that it is now part of the main instructions in post #3) and now i cannot reproduce the issue :facepalm:. Well it it stays like this, problem solved. If it comes back, will post the log (that by the way, with -l debug gets very long fast...)

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Michael, thanks for your reply.
The issue is: I have assigned all 10 output lines in the same way. 3-to10 work, but "Main 1-2" doesnt't work, there is no sound.

My source is a Hifiberry DAC+DSP module. I think it resamples everything to 48kHz. But somehow the Motu doesn't want to save these values.
And at the moment, in the Camilla GUI there is no signal at all, no matter which sample rate. Quite strange. I will try again tomorrow.

Sorry, I misunderstood. It may be that the volume knob is set to attenuate Main 1-2 and you have it turned down.

If the Hifiberry DAC+DSP is resampling to 48 kHz you will need to change the capture sample rate in CamillaDSP to 48 kHz.

Can you post your CamillDSP configuration file?

Mcihael

Top Bottom