• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RPi4 + CamillaDSP Tutorial

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know if there is still an advantage using ASIO/wasapi on windows instead of playing music directly and let the windows do the sampling?
IMO it's very useful to link this diagram by Etienne Dechamps https://github.com/dechamps/FlexASIO/blob/master/BACKENDS.md#flexasio-backends which greatly depicts the windows audio architecture (including Etienne's FlexASIO layer, of course).

If you want to play tracks at their original samplerates to your gadget, the windows subsystem resampling to a common frequency needs to be bypassed. I do not have any personal experience with quality of the resampling.

Last edited:

sarieri

Forum Donor
IMO it's very useful to link this diagram by Etienne Dechamps https://github.com/dechamps/FlexASIO/blob/master/BACKENDS.md#flexasio-backends which greatly depicts the windows audio architecture (including Etienne's FlexASIO layer, of course).

If you want to play tracks at their original samplerates to your gadget, the windows subsystem resampling to a common frequency needs to be bypassed. I do not have any personal experience with quality of the resampling.
I looked into FlexASIO today. I ended up with ASIO4all since the FlexASIO’s GUI has some problems on win10. But anyway, I was able to bypass win10’s resampler and have the gaudio controller switch sampling rate for me. It works like a charm, the switch of sampling rate works instantaneously. There is a random clicking sound a few seconds after switching the sampling rate though. I will try to look into that, it doesn’t seem to be latency related (I tried to add some latency and it’s still there from time to time). But I guess I can live with that for now.

sarieri

Forum Donor
I looked into FlexASIO today. I ended up with ASIO4all since the FlexASIO’s GUI has some problems on win10. But anyway, I was able to bypass win10’s resampler and have the gaudio controller switch sampling rate for me. It works like a charm, the switch of sampling rate works instantaneously. There is a random clicking sound a few seconds after switching the sampling rate though. I will try to look into that, it doesn’t seem to be latency related (I tried to add some latency and it’s still there from time to time). But I guess I can live with that for now.
This driver even fix the sampling switching problem Ultralite mk5 used to have. With MOTU’s driver, it outputs a distorted sound every time you switch sample rate. It won’t come back to normal unless the clock is fully locked and you stop the music with the new sample rate and restart it. The ASIO4All driver will mute the distorted sound and play the music without any problem.

glc650

Is there a way to change the hostname (permanently) without imaging? I've tried

sudo hostnamectl set-hostname newNameHere sudo hostname newNameHere editing /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname sudo raspi-config

but nothing sticks after a reboot.

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a way to change the hostname (permanently) without imaging? I've tried

sudo hostnamectl set-hostname newNameHere sudo hostname newNameHere editing /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname sudo raspi-config

but nothing sticks after a reboot.

It looks like this has changed a bit, previously it was as simple as editing /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts. This seems to work -> https://wiki.crowncloud.net/?How_to_Change_Hostname_on_Ubuntu_22_04. I guess the key is changing preserve_hostname to true in /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.

Michael

glc650

It looks like this has changed a bit, previously it was as simple as editing /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts. This seems to work -> https://wiki.crowncloud.net/?How_to_Change_Hostname_on_Ubuntu_22_04. I guess the key is changing preserve_hostname to true in /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.

Michael
That did the trick, thanks. What's weird is the previous hostname is still present in /etc/hosts (next to the new one) but the prompt and hostnamectl cmd reflects the new one.

glc650

Anyone using an HDMI to USB capture card (like this one) with CamillaDSP? I was thinking of using this with my current HDMI extractor instead of using a TOSLINK capture device.

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That did the trick, thanks. What's weird is the previous hostname is still present in /etc/hosts (next to the new one) but the prompt and hostnamectl cmd reflects the new one.

The second entry is an alias. I don't think the approach I sent you was the most "correct" way of doing it, I believe the better way is to modify the underlying user data that cloud-init is using but I do not know how to do that, maybe someone with more linux experience can help. The discussion here -> https://askubuntu.com/questions/1028633/host-name-reverts-to-old-name-after-reboot-in-18-04-lts talks about modifying /var/lib/cloud/seed/nocloud-net/user-data but that doesn't seem to exist.

Anyone using an HDMI to USB capture card (like this one) with CamillaDSP? I was thinking of using this with my current HDMI extractor instead of using a TOSLINK capture device.

I haven't tried that specific one but I tried a few others and they didn't do multichannel audio (many were only mono audio!). It looks like this one may be similar.

1678812177523.png

Are you trying to do stereo or multichannel?

Michael

jbjbjbjbjb

Michael, or anyone,
Did you ever try using HQplayer and NAA as a streamer? I've installed NAA which can play into the Motu M5 perfectly. Hqplayer offers 2 'PCM loopback's as endpoint. But I assume I need to get NAA to play to alsa somehow? Not sure how to proceed
thanks
James

sarieri

Forum Donor
Does anyone know if I connect my PC to a USB interface and spdif out to a motu ultralitemk5 and connect ultralite to camilladsp using USB, how the clock gonna work? I understand that ultralite using spdif as an input should follow the clock from the USB interface but if that’s the case, how things on the ultralite usb input side gonna work?

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know if I connect my PC to a USB interface and spdif out to a motu ultralitemk5 and connect ultralite to camilladsp using USB, how the clock gonna work? I understand that ultralite using spdif as an input should follow the clock from the USB interface but if that’s the case, how things on the ultralite usb input side gonna work?

What do you specifically want to do?

As I understand your chain you want PC -> USB to SPDIF interface -> SPDIF input of UL Mk5 -> USB to RPi? running CamillaDSP -> UL Mk5 output.

Are you planning on mixing your SPDIF input with USB inputs from the RPi? Are you even running CamillaDSP on a RPi? Why use SPDIF at all?

Michael

sarieri

Forum Donor
What do you specifically want to do?

As I understand your chain you want PC -> USB to SPDIF interface -> SPDIF input of UL Mk5 -> USB to RPi? running CamillaDSP -> UL Mk5 output.

Are you planning on mixing your SPDIF input with USB inputs from the RPi? Are you even running CamillaDSP on a RPi? Why use SPDIF at all?

Michael
I’m trying to understand if it’s possible to run multiple camilladsps+DACs on a single computer. I currently runs cdsp in USB gadget mode with no problem. The configuration file in the thread labeled spdif ultralite mk5 is using “hw:UltraLitemk5” as both capture and playback device so it is possible to feed the Ultralite mk5 using spdif and have cdsp capture the audio with USB right?

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m trying to understand if it’s possible to run multiple camilladsps+DACs on a single computer. I currently runs cdsp in USB gadget mode with no problem. The configuration file in the thread labeled spdif ultralite mk5 is using “hw:UltraLitemk5” as both capture and playback device so it is possible to feed the Ultralite mk5 using spdif and have cdsp capture the audio with USB right?

I still do not understand exactly what you are doing (not sure what "run multiple camilladsps+DACs on a single computer actually means...) but you can certainly feed a SPDIF signal to the UL Mk5, clock the UL Mk5 from that SPDIF signal (set clock source to SPDIF as described in the tutorial), capture that signal in CamillaDSP using the UL Mk5 as a capture device, route that captured signal to a USB host running CamillaDSP for processing and set the UL Mk5 as your CamillaDSP playback device to route the processed signal from the USB host to the UL Mk5 via USB.

Michael

sarieri

Forum Donor
I still do not understand exactly what you are doing (not sure what "run multiple camilladsps+DACs on a single computer actually means...) but you can certainly feed a SPDIF signal to the UL Mk5, clock the UL Mk5 from that SPDIF signal (set clock source to SPDIF as described in the tutorial), capture that signal in CamillaDSP using the UL Mk5 as a capture device, route that captured signal to a USB host running CamillaDSP for processing and set the UL Mk5 as your CamillaDSP playback device to route the processed signal from the USB host to the UL Mk5 via USB.

Michael
Thank you. This is exactly how I understand it. I was just wondering about how the clock pf this setup is going to work. It looks like cdsp do not have anything to do with clock if using spdif input to Ultralite mk5.

Hi,

Are you able to:
1) Apply CamillaDSP to Bluetooth (TV -> Bluetooth in RPI4 -> CamillaDSP -> USB DAC -> Speakers )?
2) If so, do you have any lag?

I am using Moode in my RPI4, but I am unable to apply CamillaDSP to the Bluetooth stream

Thank you

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think this could work with bluez-alsa but for better stability and quality I would recommend to get a spdif to usb adapter and connect the TV via toslink.
You only need to type in the adapter device name into capture device, select the correct sample rate and you‘re good to go

I think this could work with bluez-alsa but for better stability and quality I would recommend to get a spdif to usb adapter and connect the TV via toslink.
You only need to type in the adapter device name into capture device, select the correct sample rate and you‘re good to go
It makes sense and I’ve tried that using this thread (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lladsp-set-up-instructions-for-newbies.30830/)

But my Philips OLED TV does not work great in pair with that TOSLINK USB adapter (only works with Netflix content), so I would like to try now using only the RPI4 + CamillaDSP + Bluetooth

HenrikEnquist

It makes sense and I’ve tried that using this thread (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lladsp-set-up-instructions-for-newbies.30830/)

But my Philips OLED TV does not work great in pair with that TOSLINK USB adapter (only works with Netflix content), so I would like to try now using only the RPI4 + CamillaDSP + Bluetooth
If you don't mind compiling camilladsp yourself, you can try the next version that supports capturing directly from bluez. See here: https://github.com/HEnquist/camilladsp/blob/next20/README.md#bluealsa
I haven't measured latency but it's probably not fantastic.

Top Bottom