• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RPi USB vs HAT S/PDIF output

cancunia

Maybe we need to know how you intend to use the DAC; we might start suggesting more expensive solutions than you need.

I gather you are connecting headphones, what model? Are your music sources streaming services such as Spotify, a USB drive or a NAS? Are using the WI-FI option?

Thanks for the replies.

The USB DAC is connected to an amp via a phono cable, so ideally I want line-level out from the DAC as opposed to the headphone-level that my current USB DAC gives. I'm looking for a simple, low cost WiFi based solution. The Pi Xero W handles the streaming from my NAS without bother so that will continue to form the basis of my setup. I like the idea of an I2S add-on to the PiZero so am looking in that direction.

@MarcosCh - You may be able to power the phone and stream from the USB by using an OTG cable? I seem to remember doing something similar when I first had a Chromecast in order to load alternate firmware.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the replies.

The USB DAC is connected to an amp via a phono cable, so ideally I want line-level out from the DAC as opposed to the headphone-level that my current USB DAC gives. I'm looking for a simple, low cost WiFi based solution. The Pi Xero W handles the streaming from my NAS without bother so that will continue to form the basis of my setup. I like the idea of an I2S add-on to the PiZero so am looking in that direction.
If you like the idea of going for the Allo miniBoss then do it. I did not see any specs for the HAT but Allo normally get reasonable reviews. If you are happy with the results you have yourself a budget system with respectable performance. If not, you have not spent a lot of money.

Top Bottom