• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rpi to Sabaj D5 via I2S

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Talking to a Volumio user, I think it's a RPi4. I'm about to suggest using USB but a thought has just occurred to me. Where would the clock come from? I want to be sure I do not say the wrong thing. If the clock originates in the Pi it sort of defeats the purpose of I2S, at least in this context.

OP
K

kchap

Forum Donor
Just discover the user is using a HAT to convert to S/PDIF / TOS link. It's not a direct connect after all.

phofman

As of the clocks - that DAC is most likely using its ESS chip in async resampling mode, keeping the master clock by the DAC. Nevertheless no ASRC can 100% eliminate the incoming jitter, by principle.

Clock of the incoming signal:
* USB path - async USB, local clock by the XMOS FPGA
* I2S - most likely slave mode, i.e. clock by the I2S transmitter -> very jittery RPi clock
* SPDIF - clock by the SPDIF transmitter. Either the HAT has its own clock, slaving the I2S RPi transmitter, or the I2S transmitter master -> the jittery RPi clock.

Top Bottom