• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RPi streamer advice

ablearcher

I'm looking to upgrade my current streaming setup (Synology NAS > Parasound P5 > Emotiva XPA-200 > B&W CM9's) and after doing countless hours of internet research, naturally I'm now even more confused! :p

Currently I've got the NAS hooked directly to the P5 via USB, but the NAS itself is now pretty old and underpowered and I'm looking to replace it by building a new server out of an old PC. Either way I'll be streaming FLAC and also some video over the network, and I want to use a Raspberry Pi 4 as a network streamer. I'll be running some variety of OS that can handle a decent audio player (thinking either Moode or Volumio) and maybe Plex/Kodi as well for the videos. That much I'm pretty comfortable with, but I'm really struggling with what I should do in terms of turning data into music!

Looking at DACs I started out thinking about using a Pi HAT (either the HiFiBerry DAC+ or the Allo Boss) because the USB from the RPi wasn't meant to be very good, and then read a bunch of other stuff saying that S/PDIF out from a transport RPi HAT (HifiBerry Digi+ pro or Allo DigiOne) might be better, and I could either use the existing DAC in the P5 or get a new one (maybe a Topping or Schiit). Then after all that I read a load of conflicting stuff and it seems the USB out from the RPi4 is probably fine so maybe the transport HAT becomes unnecessary...

I've currently got things set up using the DAC in the P5 (based on a TI/Burr-Brown PCM1798) which seems to work pretty well, but I guess I have nothing to directly compare it to so I have no idea whether things would sound better with a separate DAC. Ideally I'll be keeping the P5 to use its phono stage for vinyl, which also means I can use it for volume control (any more remotes and my wife is liable to start complaining and/or asking difficult questions about cost ;)).

In summary I'm now hopelessly confused so I'd really welcome any thoughts or experience anyone has about this!

Is the existing DAC in my P5 fine or would I notice a difference with a new one in the ~£200 range?
Is the USB out from the RPi4 not an issue any more and would I notice a difference between a USB connection out to a DAC vs. an S/PDIF connection?
Are RPi DAC HATs like the Allo Master actually just as good as a standalone or the existing one in my P5?
If I'm using the Pi for streaming video, would using a HAT (and therefore no space for a heatsink) mean that I'd have heat issues when using Plex?

[edit: formatting]

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
I'm looking to upgrade my current streaming setup (Synology NAS > Parasound P5 > Emotiva XPA-200 > B&W CM9's) and after doing countless hours of internet research, naturally I'm now even more confused! :p

Currently I've got the NAS hooked directly to the P5 via USB, but the NAS itself is now pretty old and underpowered and I'm looking to replace it by building a new server out of an old PC. Either way I'll be streaming FLAC and also some video over the network, and I want to use a Raspberry Pi 4 as a network streamer. I'll be running some variety of OS that can handle a decent audio player (thinking either Moode or Volumio) and maybe Plex/Kodi as well for the videos. That much I'm pretty comfortable with, but I'm really struggling with what I should do in terms of turning data into music!

Looking at DACs I started out thinking about using a Pi HAT (either the HiFiBerry DAC+ or the Allo Boss) because the USB from the RPi wasn't meant to be very good, and then read a bunch of other stuff saying that S/PDIF out from a transport RPi HAT (HifiBerry Digi+ pro or Allo DigiOne) might be better, and I could either use the existing DAC in the P5 or get a new one (maybe a Topping or Schiit). Then after all that I read a load of conflicting stuff and it seems the USB out from the RPi4 is probably fine so maybe the transport HAT becomes unnecessary...

I've currently got things set up using the DAC in the P5 (based on a TI/Burr-Brown PCM1798) which seems to work pretty well, but I guess I have nothing to directly compare it to so I have no idea whether things would sound better with a separate DAC. Ideally I'll be keeping the P5 to use its phono stage for vinyl, which also means I can use it for volume control (any more remotes and my wife is liable to start complaining and/or asking difficult questions about cost ;)).

In summary I'm now hopelessly confused so I'd really welcome any thoughts or experience anyone has about this!

Is the existing DAC in my P5 fine or would I notice a difference with a new one in the ~£200 range?
Is the USB out from the RPi4 not an issue any more and would I notice a difference between a USB connection out to a DAC vs. an S/PDIF connection?
Are RPi DAC HATs like the Allo Master actually just as good as a standalone or the existing one in my P5?
If I'm using the Pi for streaming video, would using a HAT (and therefore no space for a heatsink) mean that I'd have heat issues when using Plex?

[edit: formatting]
I own Rpi2, 3b+ & 4, HiFiberry DAC+ Pro & Digi+ Pro and use Volumio. Plus a number of USB connected dacs. Even if the USB is a shared host port on all older RPIs - I've never had an issue with any of them (old or new). So do what you prefer. My 2 cents would be to go after something like the E30 or the Sanskrit 10th MKII which costs well below your £200, I've come to realise that I prefer my dacs (money) give me more flexibility and the HATs only work on RPI devices.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I was writing something equivalent... About the Sanskritt.

I use a lot of Raspberry and other pi... But also the Atomic Pi, @35$, with an Intel 4 core, is really interesting.

Anyway USB is ok especially on the Pi 4 (USB3) and from my experience I prefer external DACs.

OP
A

ablearcher

Thanks for the thoughts! Sounds like the way to go might be a separate DAC via USB - I read the review of the Schiit Modius elsewhere on this forum and it sounded pretty decent for the price, but not in stock at the moment. I'll check out the Sanskritt as well, and maybe look at Atomic Pi - not come across that yet. Is it as well supported as the RPi in terms of OS and players?

Also is an S/PDIF HAT unlikely to make much of a difference audio quality wise over connecting via USB?

tw99

I'm using usb out on a Pi2 and it's perfectly fine. No need whatsoever to buy a hat if you get a usb DAC.

GoldenOne

Not Active
The only issue with pi+usb is if you're trying to use it as something such as an HQPlayer endpoint with very high sample rates.
Past 384khz it starts falling over a bit due to the shared network/usb bus.

But for standard 44.1 or high res 192khz stuff there is no issue whatsoever

Daverz

Major Contributor
I had clicks and pops going from RP3 USB to either a Topping D10 or DX3Pro when the sample rate was over 48kHz. The problem seems to be DAC dependent, because I never had the same problems with my Auralic Vega.

Anyway, I recommend a USB connection from an RPi4 to a Topping E30 in DAC mode. I like balanced connections on principle (that would be the reason to get the Modius), but I don't think you'll notice a difference unless there's a ground loop.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am able to do 32/768 in over Ethernet and out over USB from an RPi 3B to a Topping E30, with no problem whatsoever.

Running BruteFIR (or other DSP) at the same time will, I gather, cause problems.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I am able to do 32/768 in over Ethernet and out over USB from an RPi 3B to a Topping E30, with no problem whatsoever.

Running BruteFIR (or other DSP) at the same time will, I gather, cause problems.

I should have said that I was using piCorePlayer (and only running squeezelite on the RPi, no LMS or brutefir). What software are you using on the Pi? Can't remember if I tried the E30 with the RPi3.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
RoonBridge, running on top of the latest moOdeAudio distro.

Raspbian 10.4 | 5.4.42-v8+ #1319 | aarch64 (64-bit)

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
I took the Toslink HAT route (Rpi4, HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Volumio with BruteFIR working as streamer + DSP but not DAC). I really hate having a mess of differently sized power bricks connected to power strips. My Rpi is powered though an external PoE splitter.

It is definitely running hot, but under control. I used to frequently check temps through the Volumio UI. Not anymore.

idiomatically

due to the shared network/usb bus

This does not apply to the RP4, its no longer shared. I have a RP4 in every room of our house setup with an external DAC with Ropieee installed as a Roon endpoint or use with Spotify Connect. I would not bother with a HAT DAC, just get the best sounding DAC you can afford / like and connect it via USB.

I have a Schiit Modius, a RME ADI2, and a number of JDS Labs El Dac2’s, all sound great. The Modius with balanced xlr’s is a good unit for the price and probably the best DAC Schiit make imo. I am currently using it in place of my RME with my Elac Navis speakers as it looks the goods with my Schiit Jotunhiem in our lounge room.

OP
A

ablearcher

Thanks all for the advice - went ahead and ordered an RPi4 with a heatsink case. I may get the urge to try out an S/PDIF hat in a few months just to see if I can tell a difference with some A/B testing but it sounds like this will do just fine for now while I start looking more seriously at external DACs :cool:

rkbates

Forum Donor
Just bought a Schiit Modius - sounds great and no problems with a RPi4. Mostly 44.1kHz FLAC but tested at 176.4 kHz FLAC ok (don't use or see any need for 176.4 but wanted to stress the hardware). CPU load <2% with Volumio. No glitches or buffering delays. Only minor issue so far has been the Pi re-assigning the sound card number on reboot so it has to be re-selected via Volumio if this happens

Top Bottom