• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RPi 4 or Allo USBridge signature for feeding Topping E30 ?

mikeburns

Have been reading about your setup and just getting ready to wet my feet in something similar. Full of naive questions. Can I ask, what do you use to interface with the Pi? ("Controlled through wifi.") A phone app? Wondering if a remote control would be sufficient. Wifi, Bluetooth? Thanks.

I just use a rpi4 and have Moode as the operating system. I can connect to moode (the rpi as a streamer) using my laptop, phone or tablet on the network via my web browser and using http://moode/

Easy as. This allows me to control what is playing etc. You can also run the rpi using its mini hdmi output to a tv or screen to see whats going on or to view album art (but I still haven't gotten around to that).

I have moved on from the smsl dac now and instead use the minidsp shd in the same way. I found the smsl would randomly disconnect from the rpi as its usb output was not always hot. The mini dsp is rock solid.

Ecaroh

I just use a rpi4 and have Moode as the operating system. I can connect to moode (the rpi as a streamer) using my laptop, phone or tablet on the network via my web browser and using http://moode/

Easy as. This allows me to control what is playing etc. You can also run the rpi using its mini hdmi output to a tv or screen to see whats going on or to view album art (but I still haven't gotten around to that).

I have moved on from the smsl dac now and instead use the minidsp shd in the same way. I found the smsl would randomly disconnect from the rpi as its usb output was not always hot. The mini dsp is rock solid.

Thanks so much, Mike. This clears up a lot.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think that the link is rather https://moodeaudio.org/

mikeburns

Different purpose - Mike's is a local network link to the player for control (assuming you've got one on your network and haven't renamed it) while yours is the home of the project.
Yup I was just saying how I accessed it via my web browser to control it. Cheers for clarifying that.

karlharv

I use a similar setup. Raspberry pi with the standard Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian), connected to an external hard drive and a DAC, both via USB. I use an Android app to control the music player on the pi (I settled on mpd as the player and M.A.L.P. to control it). I use a DAC with a remote control (Topping E30) and I'm using some of the unused buttons on the remote to talk to the Pi so I don't have to use my phone for frequently used operations like pausing, skipping tracks etc.

If you wanted to experiment and see if it's for you, you could put something cheap together pretty easily if you're familiar with linux or happy to learn. I also built a fairly small and light portable player using Pi Zero W with the Apple USB -> 3.5mm headphone socket and some bits and pieces. I think the total cost would be about £40 or so. I've not tried using the Pi Zero W connected to a "proper DAC" but I've no reason to believe it would be any more problematic than the Apple dongle (both systems have never had any pops or dropouts).

Hi Threni, i didnt find anywhere how to connect a Pi4 directly to the Pi4 to an external through USB. Any reference to do so ? Im using a pi4, ubuntu, plex server, usb hdd. I would like to put out some music through the dac in usb and push it to my receiver, while im still using the pi4 as media center with plex. Thx a lot appreciated.

threni

Major Contributor
i didnt find anywhere how to connect a Pi4 directly to the Pi4 to an external through USB. Any reference to do so ?

Not quite sure what you're after; perhaps there's a word missing there?

Im using a pi4, ubuntu, plex server, usb hdd. I would like to put out some music through the dac in usb and push it to my receiver, while im still using the pi4 as media center with plex.

I don't know plex but if you want to play music on your Pi and have it go from Pi to a receiver you're going to need a DAC; either a separate box like a Topping E30 which has RCA output you'd connect to the receiver, or some sort of Pi Hat with a DAC, and which has RCA output. A Pi4 has multiple USB sockets so you could connect a HD to one of them.

karlharv

Not quite sure what you're after; perhaps there's a word missing there?

I don't know plex but if you want to play music on your Pi and have it go from Pi to a receiver you're going to need a DAC; either a separate box like a Topping E30 which has RCA output you'd connect to the receiver, or some sort of Pi Hat with a DAC, and which has RCA output. A Pi4 has multiple USB sockets so you could connect a HD to one of them.

My first sentence has a mistake. I wanted to connect the pi4 to the e30, directly with usb connection. This is the way you mentionned before that you used to connect your dac right ? It seems you avoided the hat over the pi.

Daverz

Major Contributor
My first sentence has a mistake. I wanted to connect the pi4 to the e30, directly with usb connection. This is the way you mentionned before that you used to connect your dac right ? It seems you avoided the hat over the pi.

You can use any of the USB type A ports. I would use one of the USB 2 ports to keep the USB 3 ports (the blue ones) free for things that need that bandwidth.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I’ll jump in here. With the RPi4 there’s no need for a HAT if you’re connecting with USB. The USB output is very good and will sound great going directly into your E30. I have two RPi4’s running Ropieee, one feeding into an RME ADI-2 DAC FS and the other feeding into a JDS Labs Element II, both via USB.

GeorgeWalk

I connect my D10s directly to the USB port. No hats.
1613445257136.png

threni

Major Contributor

Yes, I read that the hat solutions weren't as good in terms of sound quality and some of them don't cost much less than a separate DAC. Plus the E30 has a remote control which I also use for the Pi.

karlharv

Yes, I read that the hat solutions weren't as good in terms of sound quality and some of them don't cost much less than a separate DAC. Plus the E30 has a remote control which I also use for the Pi.

Thx for reply guys, anybody used Ubuntu instead of specific audio Os for Pi4 ? If so, any specific config needed to push the audio through the usb port ?

Thx

threni

Major Contributor
Thx for reply guys, anybody used Ubuntu instead of specific audio Os for Pi4 ? If so, any specific config needed to push the audio through the usb port ?

Thx

You don't have to choose between Ubuntu and a "specific audio OS". (Ubuntu is a lot slower and larger on the Pi, so I gave up playing with it.) A lot of work has been done over the years to make Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian) work nicely on the various models, and you'll find it easier to get advice/help/software for it. Ubuntu and Raspberry Pi OS are both derived from Debian, and so configuring audio output should be the same; you can choose between PulseAudio and ALSA. I went for ALSA because I don't care about the one app hogging the output, plus I always read bad things about PulseAudio, but the most recent version of Raspberry Pi OS apparently is all geared up for PulseAudio so I guess the problems were overstated or solved. You can still use ALSA on it perfectly well, though. If you're connecting your Pi to a DAC with your audiophile hat on then you don't need to worry too much about it; it should just work. The docs for audio on Linux are a bit naff, so expect to have to google/experiment a little if you're getting remotely off the beaten track. But any sensible audio software should just let you simply select the output device.

karlharv

You don't have to choose between Ubuntu and a "specific audio OS". (Ubuntu is a lot slower and larger on the Pi, so I gave up playing with it.) A lot of work has been done over the years to make Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian) work nicely on the various models, and you'll find it easier to get advice/help/software for it. Ubuntu and Raspberry Pi OS are both derived from Debian, and so configuring audio output should be the same; you can choose between PulseAudio and ALSA. I went for ALSA because I don't care about the one app hogging the output, plus I always read bad things about PulseAudio, but the most recent version of Raspberry Pi OS apparently is all geared up for PulseAudio so I guess the problems were overstated or solved. You can still use ALSA on it perfectly well, though. If you're connecting your Pi to a DAC with your audiophile hat on then you don't need to worry too much about it; it should just work. The docs for audio on Linux are a bit naff, so expect to have to google/experiment a little if you're getting remotely off the beaten track. But any sensible audio software should just let you simply select the output device.

Should i see the Dac E30 within the output device only when it will be connected ?

Thx again, appreciated.

threni

Major Contributor
Should i see the Dac E30 within the output device only when it will be connected ?

Thx again, appreciated.

Yes. Connect it, turn it on, then run the music player and you should see the E30 in the list of available outputs.

Last edited:

karlharv

Yes. Connect it, turn it on, the run the music player and you should see the E30 in the list of available outputs.

Thats my boy ! Really really appreciated. Im ordering right now the e30 and l30 bundle !

pogballistics

I have never tried the Allo product, but I am using my RPi4 as a Roon endpoint, using the USB output to feed a Topping D90 MQA DAC, and the sound is fantastic. I have not had issue number 1, and it was much cheaper than most of the separate streamers I investigated. It has also proven to be absoultely 100% reliable, no interuptions of any kind.

The Allo USB Bridge Signature Player does have provision to add the Allo Comcast Dual Band dongle in the WiFi/BT usb ports.

It can be configured with Ropiee to make it into a certified Roon end point too.

I have received the Allo USB Bridge Signature Player and Allo Shanti today. I will receive the Allo Comcast Dual Band WiFi Dongle tomorrow. Will be testing it out next couple of days and post my experience here.

I will be powering the Allo Streamer and my Topping E30 with the Shanti LPS simultaneously. Atleast that's the plan so far.

Iavor

Hi all, been reading this thread with interest just now. I’ve been using an Allo Digione with Pi 3 for about a year. It goes into an E30. For months now the Pi/Allo keeps crashing every couple of weeks. Nothing wakes it up once crashed, so I’ve been re-flashing the card and starting again. That does work, but what a pain! Finally had enough a couple of days ago and after reading around a bit, today I set the Pi3 to stream to the E30 via one of its usb outputs. I have Moode on the Pi. Changing the settings was easy enough once I found instructions on the Moode forum. Did this earlier today and it’s working fine. I certainly can’t hear any difference vs the Digione coax output. Anyway I’m just going to wait now and see if it all crashes again and if so, will assume that the pi is faulty and go for a Pi 4 replacement I think. If it doesn’t crash I will assume the Allo is faulty and just leave it streaming straight from the pi3. Either way, I don’t think I’ll bother with Allo going forward if the pi by itself is good enough (which it seems to be, not that I trust my ears). Was curious about the Allo Usbridge, but I’m not keen to spend anything if I won’t hear it. But I’m not at all sure of myself about any of this, so if any of you guys think the Usbridge is a good idea, do share. Pogballistics I would love to know if you can hear a difference between the usbridge signature when you get it vs a USB port on your Pi, if you fancy comparing them

BTW, 99% of the time I just use airplay on my iPhone to send either Qobuz or BBC Sounds to Moode. I have some FLACs on a NAS and had LUMIN configured to control playback via my phone, but I so rarely play these that I’ve settled for just playing them on my phone from the QFile app for my QNap and again via airplay. Does the job.

Anyway, this is my first post ever on any forum, so hope I haven’t said too many silly things. Haven’t posted before as I’m not sure I know anything about anything and certainly don’t feel qualified to give any advice. This thread is right on the nose with my current problem however, so was glad to read that using pi 3 usb into E30 seems to be fine - and indeed it’s working for me so far, so I thought I’d report that for what it’s worth. I definitely don’t have golden ears and I don’t know much, but yeah pi 3 usb straight into E30 is sounding just as great to me as the Allo was before and I’m enjoying my music very much.

ctakim

Forum Donor
I have never tried the Allo product, but I am using my RPi4 as a Roon endpoint, using the USB output to feed a Topping D90 MQA DAC, and the sound is fantastic. I have not had issue number 1, and it was much cheaper than most of the separate streamers I investigated. It has also proven to be absoultely 100% reliable, no interuptions of any kind.
What software are you using for the RPi4?

Top Bottom