• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RPi 4 Newbie questions

Pauper

Hi all, this is my first post so be kind!
Because I am an absolute dunce with tech I recently bought a ready loaded ( Volumio) RP4 streamer from Paul who goes by the name of paulwhittaker6 on EBay.
Now Paul is a very helpful guy but everyone has their limits and I’ve decided that I’m not going to burden him any longer!
The thing is that what is easy peasy for normal folks is an ordeal for me hence the reach out for help here.
After much faffing I eventually installed Volumio on my iPad and plugged my earphones into the streamer and began listening to some great internet radio.
My question is ; how am I listening to the music when I haven’t got the streamer connected to a dac?
Is it something to do with Airplay? and if so, do I not need a dac?

Thanks

tw99

Volumio is using the dac in your ipad

He said he plugged headphones into the streamer, and he also described the Pi as a streamer.

So the DAC function is probably done by the low quality Pi headphone jack output. Unless it has a dac/amp fitted. What did you actually buy ?

Not sure why you don't just plug headphones into your iPad ?

OP
P

Pauper

It is sold as a Roon Endpoint/ Bridge Volumio/RRoPieee Streamer Pi4 B

OP
P

Pauper

He said he plugged headphones into the streamer, and he also described the Pi as a streamer.

So the DAC function is probably done by the low quality Pi headphone jack output. Unless it has a dac/amp fitted. What did you actually buy ?

Ive yet to buy a dac

tw99

If the pi doesn't have an audio output HAT fitted, you're just listening to the pi headphone output, which is technically fairly horrible.

OP
P

Pauper

If the pi doesn't have an audio output HAT fitted, you're just listening to the pi headphone output, which is technically fairly horrible.
Can’t wait to get a proper dac then!!

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

yah you are right. i skipped right over that. I just assume he streamed from the pi to the ipad and was listening via the ipad hp

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have an idea of what you want to end up with? If you just want to listen to your iPad you could get some decent headphones and just use the iPad output; if you wanted better performing dac/headphone amp you could get a very good dongle at reasonable cost.

OP
P

Pauper

Search the internet for an usb dongle (as your dac), plug it on the RPI and go thru the confi on Volumio, ready for the music!!!!!
That sounds like a great idea. Thanks

OP
P

Pauper

Do you have an idea of what you want to end up with? If you just want to listen to your iPad you could get some decent headphones and just use the iPad output; if you wanted better performing dac/headphone amp you could get a very good dongle at reasonable cost.
Yes, I would like to stream to active speakers, and perhaps listen to tv via optical which realise I would need a dac with those options.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I would like to stream to active speakers, and perhaps listen to tv via optical which realise I would need a dac with those options.

You may want to check out the reviews section-a number of affordable dacs and active speakers have been tested.

Top Bottom