• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Round-up of small, battery USB DAC/Amp/Bluetooth receiver devices

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, my mistake!!! Forgot to mention it, there is no DAC, just " Wireless Bluetooth Receiver Headphones Amp"
So, it doesn't belong to this thread. Sorry, can't delete my post!
Nope, not aimed at you. Of course it has a dac. And it functions as a wired dac to a pc too.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Doesn't look like this will be a measurement king if those -93 dB results are to be believed on those numbers.

Got my Qudelix 5K in and subjectively, it sounds fine. Mostly got it to use aptX Adaptive from my phone, the app needs some of the promised features like PEQ and better documentation as to what the buttons do, but, I mean, it's fine. Get a BTR3K for wireless (I like how it can switch between devices) and a Tempotec Sonata HD for wired usage and it'll be better than an all-in one device, I think.

Hi, seeing as it looks like you're the only one on here who's got it, could you do me a favor? Could you download and play the below 30-second BS EN 50332-1 'Program Simulation Noise' through the Qudelix 5K (USB-C wired connection to source) at maximum volume with EQ off and record its output (e.g. using the free Audacity program) by connecting the line-out of the 5K via a 3.5mm cable to the highest quality ADC device you have (a PC soundcard line-in would do).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocxvs0bhneadcnh/EN50332_ProgSignal_44.16_-10dBFS.wav?dl=0

Then just upload the recorded wav file here or to a file sharing site. This would be much appreciated.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Hi, seeing as it looks like you're the only one on here who's got it, could you do me a favor? Could you download and play the below 30-second BS EN 50332-1 'Program Simulation Noise' through the Qudelix 5K (USB-C wired connection to source) at maximum volume with EQ off and record its output (e.g. using the free Audacity program) by connecting the line-out of the 5K via a 3.5mm cable to the highest quality ADC device you have (a PC soundcard line-in would do).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocxvs0bhneadcnh/EN50332_ProgSignal_44.16_-10dBFS.wav?dl=0

Then just upload the recorded wav file here or to a file sharing site. This would be much appreciated.

I'll see what I can do, don't know if I'll have a good enough ADC for you.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I'll see what I can do, don't know if I'll have a good enough ADC for you.

Thanks! I actually did a loopback test of my standard Realtek PC soundcard and found it was pretty decent, so if something like that is all you have that would do to make the recording of the Qudelix 5K's output :)

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would love to see some Audio Analyzer graphs of these bad boys!

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping BC3 ($70)
1598134616964.png

nosauce

So far there are only five products that meet the criteria in the OP.

They are:
  • Fiio BTR5
  • Fiio BTR3K
  • Shanling UP4
  • Shanling UP2
  • Hiby W3
  • Qudelix 5K

I am most interested in the Qudelix 5K and the UP4 (both ordered)...

1. When using a dac/amps like the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt or Hidizs s8 connected to your phone, it drains the battery of the phone. Unlike these devices, the Qudelix 5K and the UP4 have their own internal batteries. When Qudelix 5K or UP4 is connected to a phone via usb OTG (NOT bluetooth) does it still drain the battery of the phone?

Ideally, I would want these devices to use their own internally batteries when connected via USB to a phone. If I were to use them with my computer via USB (not BT), I would want them to use the bus power that the computer provides and not it's own internal battery (i.e. the opposite of the phone scenario).

2. Will the sound quality be better if it's connected via USB and not BT? Depends on the type of BT connection?

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

1. UP4 will not run off a smartphone, even with an OTG cable, at all. It needs a powered hub adapter. The Qudelix 5K should run off its own battery, but check on this thread on HF.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...20-qudelix-5k-impression-added.906655/page-37

2. Theoretically, yes. In real practice, you tell us.

FYI, the Fiio BTR5 gives you the option of discharging from the smartphone or discharging form its own internal battery.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Hey, I think I just responded to you on Reddit - here's what I got, I only have a Behringer UCA202 as an ADC, and even at 1 Vrms, I was getting clipping (and -48 dB self noise no matter what?) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RBn_MDq-Xjd9vwYlgRPvzBK4HtZ-rlF0/view?usp=sharing (edit: I'd actually probably ignore that since I left PEQ on too)

Thanks, yes it looks like it's clipping badly. Did you take the recording using Audacity? If so, could you try again but with the recording volume set at 0.9 in Audacity (volume slider next to the mic icon on the top right)? Or failing that, turn down the volume on the source feeding the Qudelix by one step? (What source and music app are you using by the way?) Oh, and actually could you leave the PEQ on for this, but set all the EQ filters (and preamp) to 0dB? This way any influence of the PEQ processing can also be tested, but without changing the frequency response outputted.

Last edited:

amanieux

does any one of these sub $150 dac/amp/bt receiver have dsp effects such as a convincing crossfeed effect ? thanks

amanieux

a recommendation between hiby w3 (4377 / $41) and shanling up2(9218 / $70) for listening on bqeyz spring1 from a pc laptop ? thanks

Last edited:

Unclevanya

does any one of these sub $150 dac/amp/bt receiver have dsp effects such as a convincing crossfeed effect ? thanks

The Qudelix app shows a crossfeed option, but I don't own one yet so I can't comment on the effectiveness.

Iglo

Forum Donor

amanieux

The Qudelix app shows a crossfeed option, but I don't own one yet so I can't comment on the effectiveness.
update i realize that crossfeed in itself is not enough to convincingly mimic the sound from speakers it also needs some room echo simulation, the best i have heard in the free android apps is wavesnx, if someone has another free software (windows or android ) or sub $150 BT receiver/dac that mimic speaker sound on headphone please share.

amanieux

what is the cheapest of these BT receivers that have a PEQ that works both in BT and usb dac mode ? thanks

bobbooo

Major Contributor
what is the cheapest of these BT receivers that have a PEQ that works both in BT and usb dac mode ? thanks

Qudelix 5K, the others don't have PEQ.

Top Bottom