• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rotel?

Midwest Blade

Seems like they have made a small series of new introductions. It is a brand that we do not mention much here at ASR, anyone running any of the A series amplifiers, cd players?

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I auditioned the newer A14 integrated and RA 1572. Though they were very clean, sounded a bit lifeless next to an Arcam. But then again, someone will chime in and say all amplifiers are the same and no one can hear any difference. I was disappointed as I remember the 800 and 900 series fondly.

It would be mentioned if some one bought one and sent it to be tested. A14 tribute looks very nice on paper. Tough competition, Arcam Atoll, Sim, Naim, Linn, Marantz, Schiit, Hegel, Rega, AudioLab, MusicFidelity, Cambridge at least. This class has exploded as it is "rational" for most living situations.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I have wondered, if the larger than really needed amps by default have sufficient dynamics so they are comparable to a more expensive smaller amp? In other words, dollar for dollar, if you need a nice 75 to 100W amp as most actually do, then a 1582 is actually better sound for the same dollar? So for $2K, what is the best amp?

This of course excludes the "all sound the same" bias camp. I encourage those folks to buy a Parasound 2125. They deserve it. ;)

OP
M

Midwest Blade

Looks and size can be misleading along with subjective analysis. I trust such few reviews nowadays...could have saved several $000's over the years.

The field is pretty stacked with "wannabes".

Chester

Are they still something to do with B&W? I can’t remember the deal, but there’s a connection there I’m sure.

I remember many who were dissatisfied with the sound of their B&W’s being told to try a Rotel amp if they wanted them to sing. :oops:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for posting that. Speaking strictly about the 1582 measurements I guess I'd say they're OK but a little disappointing. Definitely not state of the art.

FrankF

Forum Donor

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The RB-1090 has been out of production for 10 years. Replacement is the RB-1590. Here is Stereophile's review of the RB-1090 from 22 years ago. https://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/100rotel/index.html

:oops:
I know they are old. However, most of Rotels class AB power amp series had the same construction with only minor mods over the years. I doubt there are significant measured differences between the amps of the same model serie. Measured performance was usually excellent. If they went class D, that is another story.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ROTEL RB-1582 MkII is a rather big and heavy power amplifier of 431mm W x 150mm H x 407mm D, 18 kg, 200W + 200W (20-20,000Hz, 0.09%THD, 8Ohm), and the detailed specs and inside photos can be found here;
http://www.rotel.com/product/rb-1582-mkii
You may find a nice review article on RB-1582 MkII by Erich Wetzel dated 15 February 2014 at;
https://www.soundstageaccess.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/533
to which ROTEL pasted the access link in their above RB-1582 MkII product page.

I rather intensively tested/evaluated ROTEL RB-1582 MkII in my multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier project;

- Rotel RB-1582 MkII (class-AB)_Part-1_Comparison with Accuphase E-460 and Benchmark AHB2 in single-Amplifier + LC-network full range reference sound system: #263

- Rotel RB-1582 MkII (class-AB)_Part-2_Incorporation in multichannel multi-amplifier system and listening Sessions: #264, #265

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience of Rotel is with their older gear, but it was generally very solidly made and well designed and represented good value.

dr0ss

I have an A12 integrated, which replaced an 80s Denon. I have no regrets, other than I miss the loudness button from the Denon. Only 60wpc but like vintage amps it plays as if it has massively more power.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But then again, someone will chime in and say all amplifiers are the same and no one can hear any difference.
LOL - You really are a master of strawman B.S. In fact, I think you qualify for my "Giant Strawman " award.

Giant Strawman.jpg

It appears that you are oblivious to the concept of "qualifying" parameters and "conditional statements" People who are even minimally familiar with psychoacoustics and audio electronics design might state that "well designed and engineered amplifiers that are used within their limits and operating parameters, and in carefully level matched blind testing will almost certainly sound the same".

If you compared those amplifiers in sighted listening sessions - and without level matching and instantaneous switching, you are very likely fooling yourself (or your brain is fooling you).

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rotel is a brand that was pretty much dead in the 80’s. I can’t figure why it was resurrected it serves no real purpose today. In my opinion.

dr0ss

Rotel is a brand that was pretty much dead in the 80’s. I can’t figure why it was resurrected it serves no real purpose today. In my opinion.
Rotel is swimming in the same pool as Denon, NAD, and Cambridge, and compares favorably in that group. You could argue that this niche has been replaced by the new wave of budget gear from Topping et al, but time will tell how those stand up. Rotel has been around since the 1950s, so has nothing to prove in that respect.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL - You really are a master of strawman B.S. In fact, I think you qualify for my "Giant Strawman " award.

It appears that you are oblivious to the concept of "qualifying" parameters and "conditional statements" People who are even minimally familiar with psychoacoustics and audio electronics design might state that "well designed and engineered amplifiers that are used within their limits and operating parameters, and in carefully level matched blind testing will almost certainly sound the same".

If you compared those amplifiers in sighted listening sessions - and without level matching and instantaneous switching, you are very likely fooling yourself (or your brain is fooling you).
That actually looks more like a strawwoman.

Top Bottom