• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon?

Jake's Dad

The Roon+Tidal nexus is my barrier to buying a lifetime sub on Roon, which would be a reasonable purchase if amortized over several years. But I don't really like Tidal (although I currently subscribe b/c of the integration with Roon) and am not confident that it will survive over the long haul. Would love for Roon to integrate with Deezer, which is my favorite streaming service. Quobuz would be nice too, but they're on even shakier financial ground than Tidal.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Would love for Roon to integrate with Deezer, which is my favorite streaming service. Quobuz would be nice too, but they're on even shakier financial ground than Tidal.

Would love to see Roon support/integration with BandCamp and SoundCloud.

These are the 2 places I search for new artists/music. Gives new artists a chance of making a decent living.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I don't stream music at all, not yet at least. I am a true geezer. But, I do see streaming as the future, potentially. Eventually, we will all be doing it for all music in whatever format or resolution, channel count, genre preference, etc. LPs may be the exception, of course, but you never know. Downloading, as now, for certain formats, resolutions, channel counts, genres, is just a temporary interlude leading to streaming eventually, as is the the need to "own" and therefore maintain your own music files via disc ripping or download or physical media. I would be just as happy, happier I think, just renting my music via streaming, rather than owning, maintaining, backing up and storing it myself on shelves or on my 54TB NAS, which is becoming insufficient. For now, though, no single streaming or download service sufficiently satisfies my own perhaps peculiar needs and desires. So, I am still opting out for now in favor of mainly ripping and occasional downloads.

I think most everyone sees this. Recording labels would love it because streaming virtually eliminates piracy. The only problem is getting there. Part of the problem is disparate sites and software front ends, search tools, etc. some with differing technical requirements.

I look at the retail model established by Amazon in meta terms, though not their current implementation of music streaming/downloading, which is inadequate. It is the idea of Amazon, the retailer, offering a huge selection of amazingly diverse goods sourced from other distributors and retailers, all available to the consumer from one simple standard user interface, one shopping cart, one bill, one payment regardless of the source. They have so much critical mass and clout in the marketplace that sellers, large and small, need to join in with them or lose sales by trying to go it alone on their own diverse sites. So, far, that has not resulted in any downsides to the consumer, in my opinion, due to any abuse by Amazon of near-monopoly power. To me, it is of great benefit to the consumer, offering one stop shopping conveniently at good prices through a simple interface.

I am not saying Amazon itself will provide this for music streaming, and it will not be easy. It might be Roon. They might be closest to it. But, Roon has not yet embraced and adequately supported classical listeners like me, for example, though we are a distinct minority to be sure. Or, it might be someone else who can think big and manage to unify the industry around a single consumer interface to all the music everywhere, not just separate, individual subsets by format, genre, etc. each with their own GUI, subscription or other payment method. The redundancy of many streamers, large and small, cries out for eventual consolidation on efficiency grounds, at least from the consumer perspective.

Time will tell.

Incidentally, Amazon video streaming is already starting to work on this by incorporating BritBox and Acorn. It has become my favorite video streaming service, far outclassing Netflix in selection quality and ease of use, though not yet in quantity. However, so much of Netflix, even their own productions, is trite garbage, difficult to search or to know what is there. I do think video streaming is much bigger than music streaming. So, likely music streaming will follow the lead of video streaming, and lag it, as far as economic structure of the industry is concerned.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Do Apple provide pre release phones to developers? I doubt it, if so their early customers are beta testing them.

I thought app developers were informed on relevant details? If not, it’s true that early Apple buyers are uninformed test monkeys.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought app developers were informed on relevant details? If not, it’s true that early Apple buyers are uninformed test monkeys.
I expect something happens with the very largest developers, I doubt roon are anywhere near that. Apple must do a load of internal testing of apps pre-release, but I still doubt roon are large enough to be high up apples list of must test apps.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
How do you know they didn't expect it? I assume they reviewed the code as soon as they saw the resolutions and screen sizes.

It doesn’t look like they knew about the problem at all before it was flagged by users, just see Roon’s Dylan Caudill’s responses in the thread link above.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn’t look like they knew about the problem at all before it was flagged by users, just see Roon’s Dylan Caudill’s responses in the thread link above.
If you work in software it's obvious what was going on in the thread, development were progressing a fix, but this is the first time 1st line had seen it reported, happens all the time.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
If you work in software it's obvious what was going on in the thread, development were progressing a fix, but this is the first time 1st line had seen it reported, happens all the time.

How big is Roon?

And is Apple a non-event?

Top Bottom