• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
What exactly do you mean?
Why bother putting yourself at the mercy of others when you could just access and compute your music from your own ‘cloud’ / home server.

I don’t see why one would want to upload it all elsewhere, just have the files at home, a bit of software should link your mobile device and you home network together. You could also configure EQ , room correction etc using the mic on your Mobile device and the computer power at home. This way you could stream corrected music in any environment , in the car, at a freinds etc.

Maybe you can already do this.. lol

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I can but I don't.
I may be paranoid but I have my mobile data turned off all the time I am not actually using it. Streaming from home would mean leaving it on. I am not sure how reliable it would be either. Pretty well everything I want to listen to on the move is already on my phone.
Probably wise..

astr0b0y

Roon does not offer a mobile solution nor the ability to connect via any other subnet/network. Of course if you can VPN in and gain an IP on the same subnet then things work as well as your upload speed will allow. I use Plex or iTunes still for streaming of my own library when away from home.
I really like Roon and was happy enough to be gainfully employed when I purchased a lifetime subscription. I was a happy enough iTunes user but frustrated by the poor iOS client for controlling my iTunes server. Roon’s common interface across all clients is a fantastic plus - not many other software titles offer anything close to that experience. I am also easily impressed by big numbers so upsampling everything to DSD128 convinces my small mind that it sounds better!

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never. One would be at the mercy of the longevity, pricing and policy changes (in bit rate?) of the company, even if it is Roon themselves. I have invested a lot in my library and it is too precious for me to trust it to others.

My library is too precious for me to trust it to myself. It is impractical for me to have the kind of redundancy and availability a cloud based storage system can provide, when designed properly.

You can have all the local redundancy you want at home with RAID on your local NAS, but it doesn't protect your data from physical damage. Hard drives are spinning disks and they will eventually fail - its not a question of 'if', its a question of 'when'. If my house burns down, I don't want to lose all my music and photos. I can of course have a backup located someplace else like my workplace, but then keeping it in sync with the storage at home is tricky. Cloud storage typically provides backups (I use CrashPlan) and it automatically uploads new files on my computer. You can access the files from anywhere. Security is not a major concern for me because the only things I back up are music and photos.

A couple of months ago, I had my primary external hard-drive and the secondary fail on the same day!

If you live in the US, you are already at the mercy of at least one insurance company, its longevity, pricing and policy changes. Cloud backup, to me, is another type of insurance.

CuteStudio

I'm surprised Roon doesn't network - are you sure? The mind boggles.
My server will run on pretty much anything and serve music to itself or any attached machine, tablet or mobile - no point in living in the past, HTML5 is here, it's real, it kicks ass and chews bubblegum /DukeNukem.

As for backup, there's no reason why a home stored music library on HDDs shouldn't be backed up to the cloud - that's not particularly difficult. Otherwise a few portable drives in various places on rotation is the way to go, disks and caddies are cheap. The cloud also is slow, there's nothing quite like your own gigabit network with your own dedicated server for speed and it doesn't degrade when the family is using skype, Netflix and Prime either :)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
My server will run on pretty much anything and serve music to itself or any attached machine, tablet or mobile - no point in living in the past, HTML5 is here, it's real, it kicks ass and chews bubblegum /DukeNukem.

As for backup, there's no reason why a home stored music library on HDDs shouldn't be backed up to the cloud - that's not particularly difficult. Otherwise a few portable drives in various places on rotation is the way to go, disks and caddies are cheap. The cloud also is slow, there's nothing quite like your own gigabit network with your own dedicated server for speed and it doesn't degrade when the family is using skype, Netflix and Prime either :)
“ it’s time to kick ass and chew bubble gum.., and I’m all out of gum”

“ shake it baby”

“ your face your ass, what’s the difference “

“ I’m gonna tip off your head and ....”

:D

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
My library is too precious for me to trust it to myself. It is impractical for me to have the kind of redundancy and availability a cloud based storage system can provide, when designed properly.

You can have all the local redundancy you want at home with RAID on your local NAS, but it doesn't protect your data from physical damage. Hard drives are spinning disks and they will eventually fail - its not a question of 'if', its a question of 'when'. If my house burns down, I don't want to lose all my music and photos. I can of course have a backup located someplace else like my workplace, but then keeping it in sync with the storage at home is tricky. Cloud storage typically provides backups (I use CrashPlan) and it automatically uploads new files on my computer. You can access the files from anywhere. Security is not a major concern for me because the only things I back up are music and photos.
I have all that. Redundancy by having it on a NAS drive in NY, another NAS in NY off-line and usually not powered except for updates and another NAS in my house in CT. It would take a substantial disaster to destroy all three. In addition, I do have a private cloud backup which duplicates everything. It is hard to access but can be.

astr0b0y

Roon serves the local network with no problem, in fact its very good at this. However you cannot connect to it from a different network such as your phone/mobile internet or when you’re at work or on holiday. You can’t even sync music to a client for portability!
It is a major feature gap and Roon have said they will release a solution this year. It drives me crazy to have to use different interfaces for playback away from my house.

Plex works very well and I have also used iTunes Match quite successfully since its release but because iTunes only offers 256 kbps on matched tracks it’s not an acceptable cloud backup solution for full res CD rips or higher bitrate files.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
But CDs will be more likely to survive EMP...

At least, that's the general assumption.

Maybe it's time to bring back paper tape, if you don't think you'll be too close to the fireball.

1472996283-s.jpg

Last edited:

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
But CDs will be more likely to survive EMP...

At least, that's the general assumption.

Maybe it's time to bring back paper tape, if you don't think you'll be too close to the fireball.

1472996283-s.jpg
That's a little too retro for me, Ray, having accidentally zipped out those sprocket holes more than a few times. Gimme punched 80 column cards, though I did drop a few decks of those here and there.

Actually, my music is on a 54TB NAS, to be expanded by 20-40TBs this year!

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread has got rooned :) At least I got what I wanted, so please, free to destroy it now :)

bobhol

That's a little too retro for me, Ray, having accidentally zipped out those sprocket holes more than a few times. Gimme punched 80 column cards, though I did drop a few decks of those here and there.

I would hope you can still get Mylar tape if there's any chance that the paper tape will be damaged. But it seems like quite awhile since I've seen either

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Roon does not offer a mobile solution nor the ability to connect via any other subnet/network. Of course if you can VPN in and gain an IP on the same subnet then things work as well as your upload speed will allow. I use Plex or iTunes still for streaming of my own library when away from home.
I really like Roon and was happy enough to be gainfully employed when I purchased a lifetime subscription. I was a happy enough iTunes user but frustrated by the poor iOS client for controlling my iTunes server. Roon’s common interface across all clients is a fantastic plus - not many other software titles offer anything close to that experience. I am also easily impressed by big numbers so upsampling everything to DSD128 convinces my small mind that it sounds better!

I use

https://www.softether.org/

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Roon serves the local network with no problem, in fact its very good at this. However you cannot connect to it from a different network such as your phone/mobile internet or when you’re at work or on holiday. You can’t even sync music to a client for portability!
It is a major feature gap and Roon have said they will release a solution this year. It drives me crazy to have to use different interfaces for playback away from my house.

Plex works very well and I have also used iTunes Match quite successfully since its release but because iTunes only offers 256 kbps on matched tracks it’s not an acceptable cloud backup solution for full res CD rips or higher bitrate files.

Oh yes you can :)

astr0b0y

I've had bit more of a read through and it appears the local bridge is not supported on MacOS so would not work for Roon's discovery system. I'll stick with Plex for remote playback for now.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
ROON AND STREAMING

It’s quite obvious that Roon doesn’t want to cooperate with other streamers than Tidal.

It’s been suggested that Roon start integrating Qobuz and Highresaudio - two hi-res streamers - but Roon close forum threads on this issue. Both Qobuz and Highresaudio have stated that they want to work with Roon.

Any ideas on what is at play here? If Roon were about user-orientation and high-quality audio, wouldn’t Roon be eager to integrate other streamers than Tidal?

Are there politics or financial motives here that are not easily spotted?

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
ROON AND STREAMING

It’s quite obvious that Roon doesn’t want to cooperate with other streamers than Tidal.

It’s been suggested that Roon start integrating Qobuz and Highresaudio - two hi-res streamers - but Roon close forum threads on this issue. Both Qobuz and Highresaudio have stated that they want to work with Roon.

Any ideas on what is at play here? If Roon were about user-orientation and high-quality audio, wouldn’t Roon be eager to integrate other streamers than Tidal?

Are there politics or financial motives here that are not easily spotted?
Roon has to make money. I can’t blame them for maintaining a very successful composition between themselves and Tidal. Tidal could easily cut Roon off, if Roon entertains other streaming options.

If some Roon users prefer another streaming service over Tidal, they ought foment their revolution on another music player forum. Why don’t they bark up Jriver’s tree?

Roon is the only game in town for good reason. If/when there’s any competition, Roon might consider these [un]helpful suggestions. Until then, it’s just a distraction.

Top Bottom