• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is Roon widely used among forum members here? I think I saw Amir mention he uses it.

I started the 14-day trial a week ago and I am overall quite impressed. Subscription cost is rather steep, so wondering what folks on here use for library management and playback.

I have been using jRiver for a few years and although I like its versatility, the interface is rather kludgy and I haven't been able to reliably run it on a headless server.

TIA

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use it, I like it enough to have bought a lifetime sub, I was using foobar before. I like the integration it offers between your existing library and tidal, and it's music discovery features. Using it makes me feel more like a music lover than a hi fi geek. I don't think other people's opinions matter that much for software like this though, use the trial, see if it works for you.

Rodney Gold

I too am a roonlifer..marvelous software with new features added quite often
DSP engine is very good

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I use both. IME, Jriver convolver works well and Roon’s doesn’t. Also Jriver can do .vst and Roon can’t. I love the Roon interface and route audio to Jriver for the rest. I bought a lifetime a couple of years ago. If Tidal dies, I’d probably regret it. Without Tidal, Roon is overpriced. I hope Tidal makes it.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Roon here too, just waiting for the Roon hardware to arrive...
Keith

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Tried Roon. Cancelled it. For someone like me, with over 15,000 albums on my server, the interface is cumbersome or "kludgy" as the OP wrote. I can see why others like it though. Different flavors ...

Occamsrazor

I resisted Roon for 2 years in favour of Audirvana running in iTunes integrated mode. But I gave it another trial (Hans Beekhuyzen has a 45-day trial code you can use) and now I am converted. Couldn’t go back to standard (iTunes-like) interfaces. Why? First the rich metadata. Second the ease of transferring music in a multi-room setup, especially now with 1.4 you can use iDevices as endpoints. Though I still use iTunes to manually tag and import my new music.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
B

Btw Keith, is Roon currently working with the Dutch & Dutch, or has it yet to be fully rolled out?
Well spoke to Martijn today and they are testing and everything looks very promising , so hopefully really soon, Dutch&Dutch have some really interesting developments planned for the 8C, it really will become the ‘perfect’ loudspeaker.
Keith

CuteStudio

I haven't used Roon, Foobar or jRiver, I use SeeDeClip4 as it's totally brilliant.

I may be biased.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I do not see Roon in my future. I use JRiver for the following main reasons:

1. JR offers far superior support for search and retrieval from my > 4,000 disc classical library in hirez Mch.
2. JR offers support for all my formats of choice in Mch: SACD, Hirez FLAC, BD-A, BD-Video, cable television.
3. JR offers control features enabling me to eliminate an expensive preamp/processor from my system.

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I gave in and got the lifetime membership. Roon should thank Topping (and Amir for measuring it and posting it here) for saving me hundreds of dollars on a DAC. Made the Roon decision a bit easier.

How well does Tidal integration work with Roon and more specifically, does Roon treat Tidal the same as the local library in that Radio, suggestions etc are combined across Tidal and local library seamlessly?

Thanks everyone!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How well does Tidal integration work with Roon and more specifically, does Roon treat Tidal the same as the local library in that Radio, suggestions etc are combined across Tidal and local library seamlessly?
If you have done "add to library" for a tidal album it treats the same, the only real difference I have seen between local and tidal is the lack of DR number and the wave display progress bar.

D

Deleted member 65

I gave in and got the lifetime membership. Roon should thank Topping (and Amir for measuring it and posting it here) for saving me hundreds of dollars on a DAC. Made the Roon decision a bit easier.

Thanks everyone!

Roon user since day one, prior that JRiver user for many years.
If not introduced recently in Roon the Radio function only uses local library, only drawback currently.

Roon 1.4 rel.notes:
"Radio 2.0 ...
One of the changes that we did not have enough time to implement is Radio from outside your library. You can think of today’s changes as Phase 1 – we are already hard at work on Phase 2 which will allow Radio to include selections from TIDAL that aren’t yet in your library. ..."

Last edited by a moderator:

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Can you expand on that some more, what is Roon doing wrong?
The convolver can’t handle certain routing configurations. I’ve reported the problem to Roon. I even started a thread, posted the filters and cfg files. Roon took a while to even respond. After that, they confirmed the problem. I haven’t heard anything in weeks. I don’t think their convolver is a priority for them. If you only need simple 2ch routing through the convolver, I’m sure it’s fine. But if routing is more advanced, maybe not.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The convolver can’t handle certain routing configurations. I’ve reported the problem to Roon. I even started a thread, posted the filters and cfg files. Roon took a while to even respond. After that, they confirmed the problem. I haven’t heard anything in weeks. I don’t think their convolver is a priority for them. If you only need simple 2ch routing through the convolver, I’m sure it’s fine. But if routing is more advanced, maybe not.
Thanks, I was worried it was a 'isn't very good' thing, not a does not work at all thing.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You search for an item and Roon presents both Tidal and your library results. Select Tidal version and the interface for playing is identical to Roon but it is not yet in your library. Select Add to Library and from there on, it is indistinguishable from rest of your stored library (although there is still an indicator to show you such). I have not paid attention to whether Radio pulls those in also but I assume it does.

Tidal integration is one of the best features of Roon. It is a total shame to not use it that way. :)

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I have not paid attention to whether Radio pulls those in also but I assume it does.
I also think it does pull in Tidal. Radio is a beautiful thing in Roon.

Top Bottom