• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon + Tidal in exclusive mode vs. Spotify

Ron Kuper

Hello,

So I've read here that same content isn't discernable between Tidal and Spotify.

I wonder, is Tidal HiFi/Roon + Tidal HiFi in Exclusive Mode is measurably different (better) than Spotify which goes through the Windows audio stack?

Further assumptions:
Windows audio device is set to 44.1Khz default shared mode which is the sample rate Spotify uses so I guess no resampling.
I'm referring to regular content, not specifically higher quality content in Tidal.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

That post does not deal with your main question- does Tidal Hi-fi played at native rate (exclusive mode) sound better than Spotify through the shared Windows stack. Depending on what encoder is used, Spotify tops out at around 320 kbps bit rate. It is 16 bit depth and usually sampled at 44.1 khz.

Tidal Hifi is also 16/44.1 (we are ignoring the hi-res "master" MQA stuff here - whole different kettle of fish) but assuming any given file there is the same as a CD rip of the same will be something like 600-1000 kbps bit rate. So more data per second down the pipe. This does not change no matter what you do to it in windows.

But the question remains - does this then "sound" different/ better/worse- simple answer- it can do, depends on the recording and the playback equipment and the listener . Longer answer : this and some other threads deal with https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/does-lossless-really-matter.18437/

But the conclusion of the post you linked to sums it all up for me. Pick the service that suits you best for connectivity, library etc etc, use exclusive mode if you can (for ease and peace of mind) and if not, set windows to 24/44.1 and enjoy the music.

Top Bottom