• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon Server on NAS or Standalone

gallionetech

Hey all,

I want to spin up a Roon Server, and I'm looking to figure out how much CPU power I'm going to need as I heard Room is pretty CPU intensive. I currently have a beefy NAS that runs Plex, and a few docker containers and has 108TB of storage drives on it. It would be ideal to Spin up a Roon Docker container on the NAS. However the NAS CPU isn't anything special. I may have to build a separate server, just wanted to see what everyone thought

Here is my NAS https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W47BBLK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
I also upgraded the RAM to 16gb. The max I ever see the CPU @ with Plex is 25-30%. RAM usage is below 20%.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

dadregga

Hey all,

I want to spin up a Roon Server, and I'm looking to figure out how much CPU power I'm going to need as I heard Room is pretty CPU intensive. I currently have a beefy NAS that runs Plex, and a few docker containers and has 108TB of storage drives on it. It would be ideal to Spin up a Roon Docker container on the NAS. However the NAS CPU isn't anything special. I may have to build a separate server, just wanted to see what everyone thought

Here is my NAS https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W47BBLK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
I also upgraded the RAM to 16gb. The max I ever see the CPU @ with Plex is 25-30%. RAM usage is below 20%.

Thanks in advance!

I can only speak for myself but I run my Roon server on a little Lenovo M93p with a Haswell i7 and 8GB of RAM, serving music from a separate NAS over network mounts.

I do 6-channel streaming over wifi with nontrivial DSP filters on each channel, and the M93p can handle it just fine - you should be good to run it on your NAS if you can run Plex.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Roon actually has a document on their website which specifies that level CPU and supporting components are required for Roon to operate under various conditions.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I run Roon on a 2009 Mac Mini and it works flawlessly. I think it is Wi-Fi intensive rather than processing intensive, unless you are wasting using that CPU to upsample.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I want to spin up a Roon Server, and I'm looking to figure out how much CPU power I'm going to need as I heard Room is pretty CPU intensive.

"Most QNAP, Synology, and Asustor devices with a 64-bit x86 CPU, like Intel or AMD, and at least 2GB RAM are supported. We strongly recommend 4GB of RAM and an SSD for the Roon databases."

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en... 4GB of RAM and an SSD for the Roon databases.

I have it running on my Synology 920+ without a hiccup.

AlfaNovember

I'm running Roon happily on a Synology 718+ upgraded to 8GB memory. I mostly stream locally-stored 16/44 2-ch music; one zone uses convolved DSP, the rest are simple Harman-style EQ. Seems to run fine with available resources, although I do restart the service nightly to preclude memory leaks. If there is one place I might notice the lack of grunt, it's in slow-ish searches, which can take 3 or 4 entire seconds to complete.

Roon wants its' DB on an SSD, it seems to like decent Intel Core class of CPU rather than lower-tier, and it is best to hardwire the core rather than using wifi. If you have something beyond they usual flat home network, Roon uses mDNS and some proprietary tech that does not play well with VLANs without fiddling.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you’re not doing much DSP, it depends on how patient you are with screen response to searches and such. I like pretty snappy performance. I don’t want to feel like I’m back in 1999. You can always try it. If you’re happy with the performance, done. Of not then make a server or get a more powerful NAS.

According to published benchmarks your cpu is about half the performance of a newish Core i3. I was running a Roon server on a 4’th generation i5 with pretty good performance so your NAS will probably be OK. OTOH, my new server with a low power new Core i5 is noticeably faster to respond.

Last edited:
Top Bottom