• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon Rock on ASRock Beebox

Sekenenz

I'm using ROCK (Roon Optimized Core Kit) on a Beebox (ASRock N3010 Nuc) and everything works great except for an optional, the original pc remote control in the bundle, otherwise it would be a perfect system. The only thing I would like from the remote control would be to be able to turn the pc on and off. Currently it turn the pc on but after a second it goes off.

Someone else with the same problem?

OP
Sekenenz

Sekenenz

Someone else without the same problem, but can figure it out what can I try to do? :rolleyes:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Someone else without the same problem, but can figure it out what can I try to do? :rolleyes:
I don't have the same system, nor problem - but I did have a similar behavior with an HTPC I built some time ago. The problem was with the signal pulse length from the remote - essentially it kept sending the 'on' IR sequence long enough to be interpreted as a second 'off' (either that or as holding the power button on for 4 secs - which was the forced shutdown for the board).

Unfortunately, the only solution I found was to use a different remote control which was compatible (as far as codes were concerned). I have no idea if this is your problem however. One thing you could try is push the power on button on the remote, and then immediately cover the IR diode (or the receiver on the NUC if that's easier). If it stays on, the signal duration is the problem... if not, it's a different problem - likely in the implementation.

I didn't see force-shutdown settings in the EFI documentation for that NUC, but I do see settings for CIR power-on (which I assume you have enabled for the remote to work). If you don't need them you could try disabling all other wake-on events including the "Power On by USB KB/Remote" settings - that's in "Advanced>ACPI" settings. Try the opposite as well if that doesn't work (i.e. USB KB/Remote enabled and CIR Power on disabled). I would hope that isn't the case, but it's possible that the CIR is an enumerated USB device in EFI and if both are enabled, they are conflicting.

OP
Sekenenz

Sekenenz

Thank you for all the suggestions, I will do some tests hoping to solve the problem.

OP
Sekenenz

Sekenenz

One thing you could try is push the power on button on the remote, and then immediately cover the IR diode (or the receiver on the NUC if that's easier). If it stays on, the signal duration is the problem... if not, it's a different problem - likely in the implementation. I didn't see force-shutdown settings in the EFI documentation for that NUC, but I do see settings for CIR power-on (which I assume you have enabled for the remote to work). If you don't need them you could try disabling all other wake-on events including the "Power On by USB KB/Remote" settings - that's in "Advanced>ACPI" settings. Try the opposite as well if that doesn't work (i.e. USB KB/Remote enabled and CIR Power on disabled). I would hope that isn't the case, but it's possible that the CIR is an enumerated USB device in EFI and if both are enabled, they are conflicting.

I tried everything, enabling disabling and alternating, unfortunately I didn't solve the problem, but I better understood the behavior.
By remote I can only power on, the power off work only on the device power button. Then if I try to power on with the device power button it will auto shutdown within seconds, but a double tap will restores everything to normal.

Thanks anyway digicidal, at least now I know how it works.

digicidal

Major Contributor
That's unfortunate... but glad it's workable at least. You might want to try a cheap USB remote control or see if there's a setting in the Roon on Rock configuration that could be changed. It sounds almost like it's going into deep sleep (S7) - but I can't understand why it would do that immediately after booting.

Sophoheilip

Forum Donor
Maybe this could be a workaround to the IR remote for you, still not the same comfort:
Since my ROCK is placed in the hallway, I use a wake on lan (wol) app to switch it on and the webreqest on "http://6.6.6.6/1/poweroff" (6.6.6.6 for your Rock ip) to switch off. In Chrome I used then "add to Home screen" in the options once the website is opened, to launch it with one tap. This refers only to android of cause.

OP
Sekenenz

Sekenenz

Thanks Sophoheilip, but the real reason for using it via ir was to interface the server with alexa via the broadlink. In the end I'll rebuilt the server by integrating alexa directly via the sonoff card.

Top Bottom